Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
60 user(s) are online (30 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 60

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Different icons for same tool
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Having seen in the VVA archive how different icons are used for the same tool, I have tried to do the same for Notepad. I want to have Notepad apeear on different screens (AmiPDF, IBrowse, OWB)?

The VVA example uses a version of a toolicon in which you can specify the standard tool.

I did not succeed to make this scheme work. Although i specify diffenrent screens, Notepad always opens on the Workbench screen.
What makes it possible with VVA or better what prevents this solution for Notepad ??

Go to top
Re: Different icons for same tool
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@JosDuchit
What and where is VVA? I don't see such an archive on Aminet or OS4Depot.

There are several ways to accomplish what you want. Here is one way:
Create a textfile in RAM: with the text: "SYS:Utilities/NotePad PUBSCREEN=ScreenName". Don't include the quotes and substitute your screen's name for ScreenName. Open the RAM window on WorkBench. Select the icon for your text file and open an Information window for the icon (WorkBench Icons/Information menu). Change the default tool to IconX and save the icon. Double-clicking the icon should open NotePad on the screen specified in the text fille.

However, NotePad seems to be stupid about opening on public screens. It doesn't bring the screen to the front and leaves you wondering if it opened or not. Most programs will bring the screen to the front if you open them on a public screen.

Amiga X1000 with 2GB memory & OS 4.1FE + Radeon HD 5450

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
Quote:

xenic wrote:
However, NotePad seems to be stupid about opening on public screens. It doesn't bring the screen to the front and leaves you wondering if it opened or not. Most programs will bring the screen to the front if you open them on a public screen.

This bug has been fixed in the latest version. Obviously not too many people use the PUBSCREEN option, so thanks for bringing it up.

Simon

Comments made in any post are personal opinion, and are in no-way representative of any commercial entity unless specifically stated as such.
----
http://codebench.co.uk
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Rigo
I wish I had read your response before reporting it on a Hyperion forum. I suppose that someone else will report it fixed there; so no harm done. Thanks for the response though. It's nice to know someone in the know is listening

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Rigo
It looks like also Notepad doesn't read tooltypes from a project icon.

@JosDuchIt
Or clone/duplicate Notepad and give the copy a different name and change its tooltypes.

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
VVA?

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
Quote:

TSK wrote:
It looks like also Notepad doesn't read tooltypes from a project icon.

No, and it doesn't look like that was ever supported. Is that a documented feature? If so, where?

Simon

Comments made in any post are personal opinion, and are in no-way representative of any commercial entity unless specifically stated as such.
----
http://codebench.co.uk
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ xenic @MickJT a VNC client see other thread
vva096.lha http://dspach.free.fr/amiga/vva/vva096.lha
@ xenic and TSK

thanks for the suggestions. In fact i did use duplication of Notepad and its icon before and used it for my Amipdf screen.
Duplicating it more than that however ?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Duplicating an executable (especially a system executable) for this sort of purpose doesn't not seem very sensible to me. If nothing else it could cause problems when instaling an upgrade. If you not careful only the original copy would get upgraded.

I would vote for xenics script approach. However there no need to use IconX you can just set the script bit then save the default icon generated from that. It will start the one script from shell then.

If you had to go for the duplication approach, try linking to the original rather than copying it ...

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@broadblues

I had switched allready the xICon method, but of course setting the +S protect bit , is still better.
@all

Now, as the suggested methods are less "Workbench"-like" it seems to me that the initial question is not answered in this thread. How did VVA author do it ?
Why don't Notepad and other applications use this method?
I realised that the different icons used (in which tooltypes took different values) were 'project icons'. As we are more accustomed to them with editors, and a 'project' there is some file to edit. The way VVA uses them is interesting and developers here could comment on how they did it or how you can do it.

Wishes in this line
1) Have Notepad behave more like BareEd:
In fact l did set Notepad to the generate Icons and looked at the project icons:

If you save an empty file the icon looks like a blank page, no tootypes set. IF some text is saved the page is lined and a tooltype MIMETYPE=text/plain appears.

If you do the same with BareEd, BareEd asks you for an empty page, if you want it to use it as a template.It then saves all the 'tooltype information" in the templatse drawer as a .info icon file You can reuse this template repeatedly: it is not overwritten easily: BareEd will not show it in its "Save As requester". BareEd has the following tooltypes, that are set at saving time, and that you can adapt later in the template or in a saved file, opening and editing its icon information.

=== example
WINDOW=0,455,1024,313
TAB=8
FONT=courier.font,13
PENS=2,18,255,18,189
BGD=255,255,255
TXT=0,0,0
CRS=238,153,0
TOC=0,0,0
MRK=104,152,176
REDRAW=SMART
====
No PUBSCREEN however.

Even without the "template creation" feature, it would be great if Notepad projecticons could have the tooltypes the tool has.
(CREATEICONS)
(PUBSCREEN=<public screen name>)
(WORDWRAP)
(FIXFONT)
(FONT=<font name/size>)
(CHARSET=<charset name>)
(TABSIZE=<tab size>)
(BLINKSPEED=<cursor blink speed>)

Adding window size and position would be super.

2) Have an arexx interface to it

3) Like suggestions for "Clock" (project icons, defining screen, position and other tooltypes, arexx interface for manipulating and surely quitting Clock before opening on other screen, if screen can not be reset through arexx port)

4) Have the possibility to place these 'alternative icons' on their corresponding screens (for me AmiPDF, Gui4Cli, OWB, IBrowse)

Go to top

Register To Post