Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
67 user(s) are online (31 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 66

Georg, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Updated preview of PortablE (r6, the beginner-friendly release)
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I have uploaded a new PortablE preview. The most important change is that reading & writing of files now works using the 'std/cPath' module. (Thanks to "mrdarek" for reporting the problem!)

As a reminder, in February I released a "full preview" of the next version of the PortablE programming language. It is now aimed at beginners & those new to the E language. Previous releases of PortablE were aimed at existing AmigaE users, and those familiar with AmigaOS programming. But after more than a year of development, PortablE is much easier for beginners to pick-up & play with:

* It now comes with some nice modules for graphics, sound, music & GUIs. These require no knowledge of AmigaOS programming, and were inspired by the simplicity of BASIC languages like AMOS.

* It comes with full documentation for all of these modules, along with smaller & bigger examples. The preview release does not include these examples, but instead I have been gradually show-casing these examples. Keep an eye on the new official PortablE forum for them.

* The documentation has been revamped to be more beginner friendly, and the PortablE installer has been made easier to use. If you still get stuck, then let me know, and I will see what I can do

* In addition to that, I have made available a large collection of my own useful modules (in the CSH folder), which you can use if you want. These are not properly documented yet, but I will look at documenting them where there is interest.

* There are also various other improvements, and a lot of bug fixes.

* As usual it supports Amiga OS4, OS3, AROS, MorphOS & Windows. However (1) the new modules do not yet work on Windows, (2) the new graphics module does not yet work on Amiga OS3, and (3) MorphOS support is still experimental.

You can download it from PortablE's home page. But remember to keep an eye on the official PortablE forum for further info.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Re: Updated preview of PortablE (r6, the beginner-friendly release)
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
thanks for the update, chris. i'll start looking through the new preview release today. fyi, i've been enjoying the examples you've been posting over the forum. thanks for all of your work on this....

-- eliyahu

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Thank you!
I'm looking forward to the full release.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@eliyahu & Amigo1
Thanks for the feedback

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I have now released an UPDATED preview of PortablE. You can download it from PortablE's homepage.

This fixes some fairly serious bugs with the GUI module, which would stop many parts of a complex GUI from responding to the user.

Go to top

Register To Post