Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
125 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 125

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Locale prefs editor behaviour
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
While adding Preferred Languages in the Locale prefs editor, I've noticed the following: When there are no preferred languages, the language list shows three columns named "Language", "Native Name" and "Charset". As soon as I select a language, the list loses one column and now shows only two, "Language" and "Directory".

What is the reason for this behaviour? And what does "Directory" mean?

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Re: Locale prefs editor behaviour
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@trixie

With OS 4.0, catalogs are no more arranged into directories after the language name for the given language (native name). English names are used instead. The Directory field shows, where the catalogs for the language should be located. That would (typically) be Locale:catalogs/<language> or progdir:catalogs/<language> .

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Thematic

I can understand the internals but why does the GUI behave like that? I mean, why does it show different kinds of information when selecting more languages?

For instance, the editor shows me that the Czech language is associated with the ISO 8859-2 charset. When I select the language, the charset column disappears. Now if I want to select, say, English as another preferred language, why can't I see the charset anymore? Why does "Directory" suddenly become so important that it replaces the charset?

Where catalogs are stored is an OS internal; as a user, I'm not interested (perhaps even don't know what a catalog is and how locale works).

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@trixie

Maybe the first selection sets both the language and the charset. But additional selections should set the language only. That second language is fallback if the first one is not available but why would you like to change the charset as well. But I don't know either why that dir info is not displayed always.

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@trixie

Quote:
For instance, the editor shows me that the Czech language is associated with the ISO 8859-2 charset. When I select the language, the charset column disappears. Now if I want to select, say, English as another preferred language, why can't I see the charset anymore?
AmigaOS 4.x supports configuring several, IIRC up to 10, languages, the catalogs are searched in the order the languages are configured in locale prefs, but only a single default charset which is set by the first language.

For Czech there is only a single charset, but other languages can be used with different charsets, for example there are 3 for Serbian and 2 for a lot of others (ISO-8859-1 or -2 without Euro sign and ISO-8859-15 or -16 with the Euro sign, and a few other differences).
Maybe there should be an ISO-8859-16 version of Czech as well, but I don't know if Czech can be used with that charset or if some chars required for Czech from ISO-8859-2 are missing in ISO-8859-16 and that's the reason why there is no ISO-8859-16 version of it.

Go to top

Register To Post