Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
100 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 100

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

OWB, Core Fonts & Google News [SOLVED]
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
[Link removed]

Just wanted to check before I make a bugreport, if anyone else is getting this.

You need the MS core fonts installed.

Seems to be caused by the & l r m ; tag

Edited by MickJT on 2010/5/30 5:16:42
Edited by MickJT on 2010/5/30 5:17:21
Edited by MickJT on 2010/6/3 19:08:42
Go to top
Re: OWB, Core Fonts & Google News bug
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@MickJT

I don't see the same problem, try playing with the tooltypes, my settings.

MINFONTSIZE=12
FONTXDPI=93
FONTYDPI=90
(FONTKERNING)
FONTHINTER=3

Look, only one leg, count em, one!
X1000/PA6T@1800MHz/2Gb/Radeon 4850

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@sundown

Doesn't help.. Are you sure you have all the 30 core fonts installed?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I just booted from my OS4.1 install CD, then assigned FONTS: to RAM:Fonts, copied all the fonts from cd0:system/fonts from the CD, then installed the MS Core Fonts. I didn't just do a blanket copy from my HDD partition to RAM:Fonts/

Then I loaded OWB 3.23 from the CD, went to news.google.com.au and the same problem exists.

Never used to be like that. I'm sure it's because of that HTML tag. It's probably something they changed recently.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@MickJT

Quote:
Never used to be like that. I'm sure it's because of that HTML tag. It's probably something they changed recently.
To get rid of the '?' chars used for &lmr; you have to install Bitstream Cyberbit (or another Unicode fallback font and set the UNICODEFONT tooltype to it).

But even without such a font something is wrong on your system, in your screenshot the '?' overlap other text which doesn't happen here. Did you install the core fonts yourself with TypeManager, or are you using my .font and .otag files?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@joerg

I installed it myself with TypeManager. However I just used your .font and .otag files then.. Same issue (I didn't reboot, but I restarted OWB).

That Cyberbit font is the only thing missing since I had to reinstall 4.1. Thanks for the help, but.. can you elaborate on why it's needed?

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@MickJT

I only have the core fonts joerg linked to, as well as the Bitstream Cyberbit font.

UNICODEFONT=Bitstream Cyberbit

Don't forget to run FixFonts after changes.

Look, only one leg, count em, one!
X1000/PA6T@1800MHz/2Gb/Radeon 4850

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@MickJT

Quote:
I installed it myself with TypeManager. However I just used your .font and .otag files then.. Same issue (I didn't reboot, but I restarted OWB).
AFAIK you have to reboot.

Quote:
That Cyberbit font is the only thing missing since I had to reinstall 4.1. Thanks for the help, but.. can you elaborate on why it's needed?
Most fonts, incl. the MS web core fonts, only have a few hundred glyphs. An unicode fallback font like Cyberbit, which has 29934 glyphs, can be used for rendering the glyphs missing in other fonts, for example for languages like Chinese (for example check http://www.gov.cn/ with and without Bitstream Cyberbit, or another Unicode fallback font, installed) as well as other rare glyphs like &lmr;.

There are fonts which are even more complete than Bitstream Cyberbit, but AFAIK that's the only free one.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@joerg

I'm just curious why Windows doesn't need it? I just installed all of the fonts from Windows 7, and that didn't help until Cyberbit was installed.

I think the overlapping comes from the & l r m tag (how did you manage to paste that without spaces?) which switches left-to-right text etc..

There seems to be absolutely no different when using your font and otag files, compared to just using the ones that are automatically generated.

Looking at your post here: http://www.amigans.net/modules/newbb/ ... t_id=27952#forumpost27952

The corefonts.html link you point to had always shown everything was setup perfectly.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@joerg

After installing OS4Update1, i think, i did get with OWB lots of "????" in google search, Facebook

I did follow your OWB installation instruction article from this site completely. I had to hunt for Bitstream Cyberbit and downloaded it from http://aol-4.vo.llnwd.net/pub/communicator/extras/fonts/windows/
I used fixfonts after all the copying to the Fonts; and its Truetype subdrawer.

The problem is still not gone. :(
What should i do or check now?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@JosDuchIt

Quote:
What should i do or check now?
Did you install Bitstream Cyberbit with TypeManager? My corefonts.lha only includes the .font and .otag files for the web core fonts, but not for Cyberbit.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@joerg

No i did just copy to the Truetype drawer.

I used Typemaster just now: the .font & .otag files were created.
Used fixfonts to be sure, restarted OWB, restarted OS4 the OWB: still the same problem

I looked at the source of the google search page
<!doctype html><head><title>google - Google ?????????
The last mix of weird characters are seen as ?????????

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@JosDuchIt

Check the link I put in post #9 (the thread on amigans.net), but scroll to the top of the thread and look at the first post. Install all the core fonts.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@JosDuchIt

Quote:
I looked at the source of the google search page
<!doctype html><head><title>google - Google ???????o?
The last mix of weird characters are seen as ?????????
If it's only in the title (OWB window title and/or clicktab labels) that's normal if you don't use the same system charset (set by the first language in Prefs/Locale) as the page is using. AmigaOS is still limited to a single 8 bit charset, Unicode isn't supported in window titles, menus, gadgets, etc., yet.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@joerg
No it's all over the place (eg after each mentioned URL resulting from a search (last line of a hit)
The facebook welcome page just shows me '?????' only

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@JosDuchIt

Quote:
@joerg
No it's all over the place (eg after each mentioned URL resulting from a search (last line of a hit)
The facebook welcome page just shows me '?????' only
Which language are you using? Nearly all Facebook supports are working here, but for example http://hi-in.facebook.com/ doesn't and I only get '?'s as well.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Joerg
My system is in Dutch
Your reply gave me the hint i needed: i did set the language for google as well as for Facebook to English and works OK now

Thanks for your help and for OWB

Go to top

Register To Post