Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
186 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 186

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Help installing AOS4.0 final (SOLVED)
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi guys,

after some fiddling (new battery, cleaning and resitting the gfx card), my A1SE is booting again (it was packed for 3 years back home).

Now I'm trying to install AOS 4.0 final but no luck. Loading from the install CD, after the message "Loading done, now launching kickstart" screen goes black for a couple of seconds, then the Boing Ball and insert floppy image appears (again for a couple of seconds) and then the Workbench Screen comes up but empty except for a message window:

USB hub notification
Hub driver was unable to add the attached device.

with an OK button.

The window stays for around 4 seconds, disappears and then comes again, and again, and again... Meanwhile, Num, Caps and Scroll lock lights are flashing.

This is the same wether I turn on or off both USB ports in UBoot. I have tried with 2 IDE HD, 1 CDROM and 1 DVD ROM. Just a Radeon 7500 connected.

Any help would be appreciated

Forgot to mention, I'm using onboard VIA IDE. Does someone knows how to set different PIO and UDMA modes from UBoot shell? I remember at some point being unable to boot to Workbench using PIO modes (that was since UDMA was added to the VIA IDE driver).

Edited by emeck on 2010/2/16 17:01:00
Go to top
Re: Help installing AOS4.0 final
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@emeck

No idea, letting a system rest for too long can bring many things loose.

At least you get as far as befor the WB screen.

You can try keeping both mouse buttons pressed to reach early startup menu and check if your drives are there

for the uBoot command

set a1ide_xfer AA00 (which means setting the master and slave device on the first ide chain to the lowest DMA mode; goes from A to G iirc)
PIO modes were lower case iirc; a to g (not sure though)
not to forget saveenv

aswell as set a1ide_conf 1000 (which sets the master on the first chain to HD, "2" would be CD/DVD)

Edited by Raziel on 2010/2/16 11:03:57
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Raziel

Quote:
set a1ide_xfer AA00 (which means setting the master and slave device on the first ide chain to the lowest DMA mode; goes from A to G iirc) PIO modes were lower case iirc; a to g (not sure though) not to forget saveenv aswell as set a1ide_conf 1000 (which sets the master on the first chain to HD, "2" would be CD/DVD)

Thanks, that was the command I need. Also, found this page which might be useful for others: Amiga Auckland.

I'll play with setenv a1ide_xfer after the memory test is finished.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@emeck

A little update. Enabling UDMA 5 for the harddrive makes the installation get to the Welcome message. Still the popup of the hub drivers appears and neither mouse and keyboard work.

More testing :)

UPDATE:

It was my PS/2 keyboard!! Booting without it let me finish OS 4.0 installation. My A1SE is alive again! (well, needs a new keyboard).

Edited by emeck on 2010/2/16 17:04:20
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@emeck

And now you should really update to 4.1.
And get a hd controller instead of the onboard one.

X5000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Antique

Quote:
And now you should really update to 4.1.
And get a hd controller instead of the onboard one.

And a better sound card instead of the SB 128.
And a Radeon 9250 instead of the 7500.
And USB 2.0 NEC chip card.

The fun goes on!

Go to top

Register To Post