Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
68 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 68

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

New Hardware?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Sorry if this is an old topic.

I just learned about OS 4.1 and I have some questions.

Can it run PC/Mac software?
Is it reverse compatible with all my classic Amiga software?

Is this the start of a whole "New" Amiga for the home user? can I expect to one day open a new box to find a shiny case with "Amiga X-thousand" on the side? and are they planning anything "innovative"?

Will big software houses pick it up. and start porting/designing new software for it? (Games) :p

I guess I'm hoping to see it as a major player again, competing directly with Mac/PC/Console systems. It would be nice rebuild part of that "Amiga Scene" from the 80-90's.

Cheers

Adamma

Go to top
Re: New Hardware?
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Adamma

Quote:

I just learned about OS 4.1 and I have some questions.

Can it run PC/Mac software?

No, not directly. The old emulators may still work (Shapeshifter/Fusion for Mac and the old PCTask etc for *old* Windows/DOS software

Quote:

Is it reverse compatible with all my classic Amiga software?

There are two forms of emulation included with OS4.x to run classic legacy applications from the OS3.x world. An interpretive and a JIT emulator both serve this very well.

Quote:

Is this the start of a whole "New" Amiga for the home user? can I expect to one day open a new box to find a shiny case with "Amiga X-thousand" on the side? and are they planning anything "innovative"?

We are at the dawn of a new era in the Amiga, and the sun is only just rising. What happens in the future is uncertain. I dare say you will get replies in this thread that point you to a court-case between Amiga. Inc and Hyperion, and the doomsayers giving you the benfit of their "experience". Currently, AmigaOS4.1 runs on the classic machines with a PPC card, the AmigaOne hardware and the Peagsos2 machines (sadly all now unavailable) and also on the SAM440 hardware from Italian company ACube (www.acube-systems.biz). The SAM can be ordered online directly, or from your local reseller, so yes, you can open a box and see nice new shiny hardware :)

Quote:

Will big software houses pick it up. and start porting/designing new software for it? (Games) :p

The "good old days" of the Amiga have passed I'm afraid, and the market currently would not sustain a commercial entity creating software for it. There is, however, a good selection of software available from both Aminet and OS4Depot.

Quote:

I guess I'm hoping to see it as a major player again, competing directly with Mac/PC/Console systems. It would be nice rebuild part of that "Amiga Scene" from the 80-90's.

That would be nice, wouldn't it. We can only live in hope.

Simon

Go to top
Re: New Hardware?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Rigo wrote:Quote:
There are two forms of emulation included with OS4.x to run classic legacy applications from the OS3.x world. An interpretive and a JIT emulator both serve this very well.

It's worth pointing out that Rigo was talking about system-friendly applications (which you run from Workbench), rather than old games.

The old games (which usually booted from floppy disk) need an Amiga emulator to run, since they expect the Amiga's old chipset (which is not present in modern Amigas). We have E-UAE to run such stuff on AmigaOS 4.

There are also some ports of non-Amiga games (such as Quake 2 & 3), although it seems there are a few bugs that need fixing for them to work well on the Sam440 & OS4.1.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top

Register To Post