Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
104 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 103

jarokuczi, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Amiga-way
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hi all,

I just want to share the pleasant Amiga-experience I just had.
Yesterday the HD twice sounded a click and system froze.
I schecked the drive using smartmontools and found it ok. Rechecked the cabling and (hopefully) nailed it: the power cable of the HD was a bit stressed (stretched), I used other conector on a longer cable and all seems well.
Anyway, I decided to backup all the Amiga stuff:

OS is on separate partition, apps on another, one is for data and one for storage/grbage/etc.
Archived everyrhing except the OS onto samba-mounted external HD hooked to linux
Added the backup utilities I used (one partition is lha without compression, then bzip2, other two I tried with ABackup, so lha+bzip2+abackup joined the archives)
Created SYS:backup
Softlinked the archives dir to there
Fired up AmiDVD, clicked AmigaOS4 and UBoot in bootable section, created the iso containing SYS:
Launched rc-ftpd, copied he iso to the linux samba was crawling) and burned it
Inserted the DVD into DVD drive and it boots into my WB (couple of complaints about read only media when trying to set the network up, but who cares!)

That's the way I like it! Kudos to Joerg (AmiDVD), to the OS and others that whoose software was involved!!!

Jack

Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Re: Amiga-way
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Jack

Yes, it is really nice. I like to have backup CDs (yes, CDs, not DVDs) for my Workbench, Programs and Data partitions. Then if I need to, just copy them over again and thats almost all you need to restore.

I'm glad you could finish the backup without any problems. Last one I did, after hearing some strange clicks from my HD, it stopped at the middle of the Programs backup, and never started again :( Luckily, the Data backup had finished and got a previous one for WB and Programs partition

Its been some months without my A1SE now, but I'm waiting a bit more before buying a new disk and a SATA card. I?ll be moving soon to Barcelona and then I'll have some time.

Meanwhile, I use my new Dell Inspiron 1521 with Debian Lenny. It's very nice, but not the same.

Edit: typo

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
reminds me to backup my stuff too...

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@emeck

Quote:

Yes, it is really nice. I like to have backup CDs (yes, CDs, not DVDs) for my Workbench, Programs and Data partitions. Then if I need to, just copy them over again and thats almost all you need to restore.

Atm, all fits into 3.8GB here. Perfect for single-media-backup I recall the days I had backups spanning over 15 floppies
Even with all the hassle to transfer the iso to other box (btw: m68k ftpd managed to utilize almost full bandwidth of the network here, 7MB/s over 100 MBit ethernet, eating 75% of 1GHz G4).

Oh, one more factor that allowed to perform the backup: the ~4GB image was created on SFS2 parition, Joerg strikes agaain

Jack

Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Jack

Quote:
Atm, all fits into 3.8GB here. Perfect for single-media-backup I recall the days I had backups spanning over 15 floppies
Even with all the hassle to transfer the iso to other box (btw: m68k ftpd managed to utilize almost full bandwidth of the network here, 7MB/s over 100 MBit ethernet, eating 75% of 1GHz G4).
No DVD burner in the A1, or why did you transfer the ISO image to another computer?

Quote:
Oh, one more factor that allowed to perform the backup: the ~4GB image was created on SFS2 parition, Joerg strikes agaain
For a 3.8 GB image a SFS\2 partition isn't required, only for files > 4 GB.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@joerg

Quote:

No DVD burner in the A1, or why did you transfer the ISO image to another computer?

edit:
The one I have is an external, usb interface, usb stack doesn't support this one (yet?)

Quote:

For a 3.8 GB image a SFS\2 partition isn't required, only for files > 4 GB.

Yup, for some reason the limit of 2GB was stuck in my head... Next backup it'll be true

Jack

Edited by Jack on 2007/10/9 23:30:21
Resized Image
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Jack

Quote:
btw: m68k ftpd managed to utilize almost full bandwidth of the network here

ftpd worked very well here also. And very easy to configure. Never got samba working in my A1 so ftpd was the solution for file transfer with my pcs.

After setting up again my A1 will try AmiDVD. Thanks for sharing your experience with it.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Jack

Quote:

Jack wrote:
@joerg

Quote:

edit:
The one I have is an external, usb interface, usb stack doesn't support this one (yet?)
It should work, but USB 1.1 is way to slow, it would take about an hour, or even longer, to burn a DVD. Transfering the ISO image with ethernet to another computer and burning it there is much faster.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Jack

Quote:

Just install Filezilla server on your windows box and that will save you CPU cycles

Back to a quiet home... At last
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@abalaban

Quote:

Just install Filezilla server on your windows box and that will save you CPU cycles

No Windblows here, it was either ftp server on linux or on AOS.

Jack

Resized Image
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@joerg

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

edit:

It should work, but USB 1.1 is way to slow

Any hints? What do you do to burn over usb?

TIA,
Jack

Resized Image
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Jack

Quote:

Jack wrote:
@joerg

Quote:
It should work, but USB 1.1 is way to slow
Any hints? What do you do to burn over usb?
Start AmiDVD, select the USB burner in the 2nd tab and burn an image. If AmiDVD doesn't display it in the drive chooser I don't know what's wrong since I don't have an USB burner, the output of "MountInfo USB_CD0:" may help.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@joerg

Quote:

Start AmiDVD, select the USB burner in the 2nd tab and burn an image. If AmiDVD doesn't display it in the drive chooser I don't know what's wrong since I don't have an USB burner, the output of "MountInfo USB_CD0:" may help.

It is reported to sport a "floppy drive language":
Quote:

I: [680CF060][USB Fkt Init] | Init Fkt | Fkt 0x68E6DCC0 is {Vendor: 0x0904, Product: 0x5600, Class: 00.00}
I: [680CF060][USB Fkt Init] | Init Fkt | Fkt 0x68E6DCC0 initialized
E: [680CF360][MassStorage Device Task] | Massstorage Init | Command language 5 (SFF-8070i (floppy drive)) unsupported

Jack

Resized Image
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Jack
Quote:

You have the July-Update installed, or?

What does it report when you reinstall the Devs:USB/fd/massstorage.usbfd file from the Final-Update?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ZeroG

Quote:

Quote:

You have the July-Update installed, or?

What does it report when you reinstall the Devs:USB/fd/massstorage.usbfd file from the Final-Update?

Bingo! It now recognized as mass storage(with final usbmassstorage)
And makecd sees it,but complains about incompatibility (cdr-scsi3-atapi driver)

@joerg

It doesn't show.
It isn't usb_cd0: bts, its: usb0:

BTW: the drive is samsung writemaster.

10x,
Jack

Resized Image
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hi @Jack

Massstorage Init | Command language 5 (SFF-8070i (floppy drive)) unsupported

Can this easily be supported ?
I haven't checked my Dynex USB Floppy yet. <report coming!>

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Jack

Quote:

Jack wrote:
@joerg

It doesn't show.
It isn't usb_cd0: bts, its: usb0:
Please post the output of "MountInfo USB0:".

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@joerg
Quote:

Please post the output of "MountInfo USB0:"

Here it is:

/* USB0: (11/10/07 07:47) */
SectorSize = 2048
Surfaces = 1
SectorsPerTrack = 1
LowCyl = 0
HighCyl = 219714
Buffers = 200
BufMemType = 1
Mask = 0xFFFFFFFF
DosType = 0x4D534400
Device = usbmassstorage.device
FileSystem = L:CrossDOSFileSystem
GlobVec = -1

10x,
Jack

Resized Image
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hi @Jack

LowCyl = 0
HighCyl = 219714

Really ??

I tried out a Dynex Floppy Drive and got nothing; it didn't even powerup the light!

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Snuffy

Quote:

LowCyl = 0
HighCyl = 219714

Really ??

Its an dvd/cd writer with audio cd inside.

Jack

Resized Image
Go to top

Register To Post