Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
73 user(s) are online (40 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 73

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Can AGP and PCI-66 be used simultaneously?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
This is related to this thread on ATI's recent decision to open up their hardware documentation.

There was a discussion a while a go about the PCI-66 slot and whether you could use it and an AGP card at the same time. I don't think that there ever was a definite conclusion. My interest in it is because, while none of the recent AGP cards will work in our AGP 2x slot (wrong voltage), there are a few PCI cards available. If it were functional, then we could possibly use these cards. however, for development it would help if an existing AGP card were also present as a backup.

So, does anyone have any experience with using this slot? Can AGP and PCI-66 be used simultaneouslty. Does the slot even work?

Hans

Go to top
Re: Can AGP and PCI-66 be used simultaneously?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Hans

There is nothing in the MOBO-Docs, but:

The AGP Slot in my A1-XE is used for a Radeon and i cant get it to start if i plug the sii0680 in the PCI-66 Slot.
If i remove the sii it is starting again.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ZeroG

Quote:

ZeroG wrote:
@Hans

There is nothing in the MOBO-Docs, but:

The AGP Slot in my A1-XE is used for a Radeon and i cant get it to start if i plug the sii0680 in the PCI-66 Slot.
If i remove the sii it is starting again.

Probably because it's a 33 MHz card. The real question is if the same thing happens when a 66 MHz card is plugged in to the PCI-66 slot.

Another issue is if the firmware is able to cope.

Hans

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Hans

IIRC the AGP shares the interrupt with the PCI66 slot, so in that case, no, you cannot use them both at the same time.

Simon

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Hans

Quote:

Hans wrote:

Probably because it's a 33 MHz card.
Are there really PCI33-only sii0680 cards?

Quote:
The real question is if the same thing happens when a 66 MHz card is plugged in to the PCI-66 slot.
As long as you have a card in the AGP slot as well it can't work. You can only use one of both.

Quote:
U-Boot only executes the firmware of gfx cards.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@joerg

Quote:

joerg wrote:
@Hans

Quote:

Hans wrote:

Probably because it's a 33 MHz card.
Are there really PCI33-only sii0680 cards?

Silicon Image's own website claims that they're 33 MHz.

Quote:
Quote:
The real question is if the same thing happens when a 66 MHz card is plugged in to the PCI-66 slot.
As long as you have a card in the AGP slot as well it can't work. You can only use one of both.

Ok, that's what I wanted to know. Pity though. All my other slots are in use.

Quote:
Quote:
U-Boot only executes the firmware of gfx cards.

Sorry, I meant U-Boot. If the hardware supports it, but U-boot doesn't, then it's not possible.

Hans

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Hans

Quote:

Hans wrote:
@joerg

Quote:

joerg wrote:

Ok, that's what I wanted to know. Pity though. All my other slots are in use.
The A1 has 2 PCI buses, one is used for the AGP and the PCI66 slot, the other one for the 3 PCI33 slots and the rest of the motherboard (VIA, eth3com, etc.). Since unlike PCI AGP is not a bus but a point-to-point channel it can't be shared with anything else. To be able to use all slots either the Articia would have had to support 3 buses (one for AGP, one for the PCI66 slot and one for the rest) instead of 2, or instead of the PCI66 slot a 4th PCI33 one, on the same bus as the 3 others, would have had to be used.

Quote:
Sorry, I meant U-Boot. If the hardware supports it, but U-boot doesn't, then it's not possible.
If U-Boot or AmigaOS4 wouldn't support the 2nd bus AGP gfx cards wouldn't work either ... For the drivers there is AFAIK no difference between AGP and PCI.

Go to top

Register To Post