Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
172 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 172

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Final Writer EPSF files on AmigaOS
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I have been playing around with Finalwriter, and noticed that all the enclosed clipart are .epsf files, and wondered what they were compared to eps, and googled them.

I came across the following article/program

I wonder whether this functionality is already available on AmigaOS, and/or someone could port the program shown, maybe to use datatypes as well.

I posted this on AW but so far no response, so I thought I would ask here.

Go to top
Re: Final Writer EPSF files on AmigaOS
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Swoop

EPS is ( was?) quite a popular vector image format. ProPage and PageStream can both use eps clipart files. There used to be a number of tools to convert eps into other formats (including bitmap ones). Try Aminet.

I imagine that svg would possibly be preferable nowadays. What we could do with is an eps to svg converter.

Happiness is mandatory
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@yoodoo2

Hmm. ImageMagic might do eps to svg conversion. Try os4depot.

Happiness is mandatory
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@yoodoo2

The link I provided converts PICT (bitmap?) files to eps, not the other way round.

As you say there are several "old" Amiga programs that can use eps graphics, and Final Writer is just one of them.

As far as I know svg graphic files can't be used on the Amiga, hence my query about converting to eps.

There are tons of svg clipart available on the net but at the moment it is not usuable on the A1.

(tongue in cheek suggestion) Maybe mindspace could have a save as eps option.

That would enable its graphics to be used in Wordworth, Final writer, Pagestream etc. Which currently have no modern equivelant.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Swoop

PageStream can import all of the FW cliparts correctly.
Here is the proof:
Resized Image

There is a vector converter/viewer on Aminet called Metaview which should open such files.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@lazi

Quote:
PageStream can import all of the FW cliparts correctly.
Here is the proof:
Resized Image

There is a vector converter/viewer on Aminet called Metaview which should open such files.

Yep, I know Pagestream can use epsf files, and the other programs I mentioned.

The problem is creating the epsf clipart myself.
The article I linked to created epsf files from Pict files, which I assume are a bitmap picture format.
An equivelant program for the amiga would allow me to use IFX4.5 etc, to create the required bitmap, and then run some sort of convert bitmap to epsf program to get the clipart in a format usable on my A1. As far as I know svg format is not supported on the Amiga, unless someone can create an svg datatype.

Thanks for the heads up on metaview, I used it on my A1200, but on previous update of OS4.0 is did not work properly, and I haven't looked at it lateley, since before update#4. It might be worth giving it a whirl, and also I think Drawstudio could output eps so I'll have a look at that.

Speak to you soon.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@yoodoo2

Quote:
EPS is ( was?) quite a popular vector image format. ProPage and PageStream can both use eps clipart files. There used to be a number of tools to convert eps into other formats (including bitmap ones). Try Aminet.

I imagine that svg would possibly be preferable nowadays. What we could do with is an eps to svg converter.

Actually the other way round (svg to epsf). Most Amiga wordprocessors, DTP programs are capable of using epsf, but as far as I know not svg. There is a lot of svg clipart on the net which is therfore useless to us Amiga users.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Swoop

There's svg datatype and svg tools on os4depot.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@TSK

SVG datatype works fine for most tasks. It does tend to cause complete lock-ups when attempting to handle text (on Final Update, haven't tried it on the post-final update).

Happiness is mandatory
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Swoop

Quote:
(tongue in cheek suggestion) Maybe mindspace could have a save as eps option.

That's not a daft idea. I don't know what the eps format looks like: a variant of postcript, I believe? An eps datatype might be of more use.

Side note: MindSpace 1.0 is pretty much complete, although currently stalled until problems with the svg datatype are sorted.

MindSpace 2 will be a complete re-write and be a little bit of an InkScape clone and better use of datatypes will be a priority.

Happiness is mandatory
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
SvgTools will allow batch conversion of svg files to .png and postscript. Don't know how close a .ps file is to an .eps though or whether Final Writer et al can handle .png?

Happiness is mandatory
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@TSK

Quote:

Thanks for that.
I'll download & install over the weekend.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@yoodoo2

Quote:
SVG datatype works fine for most tasks. It does tend to cause complete lock-ups when attempting to handle text (on Final Update, haven't tried it on the post-final update).
I will give the datatype a go this weekend, it might be useful as I could utilise the freely available svg clipart.

The thing I really want to do is create my own clipart, and as I am not much of a 'graphic artist' so I thought the idea of a bitmap (in the example PICT files) to eps converter would be useful.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@yoodoo2

Quote:
An eps datatype might be of more use.
That would be very useful, Although several Amiga programs can use eps graphics, and output (print) postscript.
Quote:
Side note: MindSpace 1.0 is pretty much complete, although currently stalled until problems with the svg datatype are sorted.
I can't wait to try it out.

Quote:
MindSpace 2 will be a complete re-write and be a little bit of an InkScape clone and better use of datatypes will be a priority.
That would be very interesting some of the svg clipart I looked at was on the Inkscape site. great idea.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@yoodoo2

Quote:
SvgTools will allow batch conversion of svg files to .png and postscript. Don't know how close a .ps file is to an .eps though or whether Final Writer et al can handle .png?
I found some links on google, here, here, and here. It looks relatively simple (if you are a programmer)

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@TSK

Quote:

I have installed the svg.datatype and no joy!!

I can't load/place/import an .svg graphic in to Pagestream, Wordworth, or Finalwriter.

If someone has managed can they please post a solution.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Swoop
Quote:

The thing I really want to do is create my own clipart, and as I am not much of a 'graphic artist' so I thought the idea of a bitmap (in the example PICT files) to eps converter would be useful.

Try autotrace.
http://www.os4depot.net/index.php?fun ... ics/convert/autotrace.lha

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ZeroG

Quote:

Thanks, I'll give that a try,

Edited by Swoop on 2007/8/7 17:40:55
Go to top