Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
124 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 123

balaton, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Hard installation problems with SFS errors on reset
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I'm trying to install a new hard disk. A western digital 160Gb ide drive, attached to my sii0680ide controller.

I had some initial problems getting it be recongnised at all on the internal A1ide controller, but it shows up on the sii one.

I've partitioned it with three main partitions 5Gb 60Gb and 78GB all formatted with SFS/0. (and some smaller ones that were ging to be linux boot ans swap aprtitions, but are unitialised for the moment)

When doing ahard reset from the keyboard or case reset button I get problems, here are some snapshots of the varios error requesters

Resized Image
Resized Image

And the RDB install info

Resized Image

It's installed on an AmigaOne XE G4 with a sii0680 controller.

Go to top
Re: Hard installation problems with SFS errors on reset
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@broadblues
Did you remember to change the blocksize to 512 when you created the partitions? Media Toolbox always seems to default to 1024 no matter what filesystem you select. The SFS/0 docs state that it can't handle files larger than 4GB and partitions greater than 128GB. Maybe that also means that it can't handle partitions that extend beyond 128GB on the drive. Maybe you should try SFS/2.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@xenic

Yes, block size is 512 (although I have a partition on my old drive with a block size of 1024 with sfs and it works fine...)

The partition give the problems was below the 128 G mark.

It seems to have settled down at the moment, I fiddled arround with UBOOT settings eventually leaving sii0680_timeout at 15 (previosly was 5) and the errors occur much less often, Might be worth playing arround with other filesystems, but the advantage of sfs 1 is it can be read from linux if need be.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@broadblues

Upgrade to OS4.1 and the use SFS2

version dh0: full
SmartFilesystem 1.283 (14/09/08)
AmigaOS4 PPC (c) Joerg Strohmayer <j_s@gmx.de>

~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Slayer

I have OS4.1 allready.

I may try sfs 2 as it certainly isn't working properly with sfs 1.

BTW my version of sfs comes out a 1.282 not 1.283

It mounts more constantly at boot time now I've introduced a delay, but it locks after a while when streaming a video with mplayer.

@xenic

Where are those sfs docs you refered too?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@broadblues

I've tried changeing filesystem to SFS2 and then to JXFS and in both cases when copy a large amount files / data, ie the entire contents of my work: partition, ie eventually get an error like one shown above. (preceded by an apparent system freeze)

If I try to play a video from the partition with mplayer, then after a short while it locks up, and then produces the above error again.

I just tried with IRQ off for thr drive, and mplayer could stream the video, but audio was crackly. Any one else got one of these western digital drives? What settings are you using with them? It's possible it may be a faulty drive i supose, or could it be a driver bug of some kind?

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Sounds like a transmission error between the HDD and the controller. Try to reduce the DMA speed in UBoot and make sure you use an 80-line UDMA cable.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@thomas

it sounds like a good suggestion!

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@thomas

Yes, I'm using an 80 wire cable. I tried reduceing the udma last night, and when I got it down to UDMA 3 mplayer could safely stream a five minute video. I'll have to do some more tesing but that may be the solution.

The drive is rated at UDMA 6, so it's a shame if I have to lose a big chunk of it's performance. My two other drives are arated at UDMA 5 and UDMA 4 and both work at full speed. Different makes though (Seagate and IBM respectivley)

How does the bandwidth of the PCI slot affect this?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@broadblues
Quote:
Where are those sfs docs you refered too?

In the complete archive at http://strohmayer.org/ .

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@xenic

Thanks, despite having looked at that page, I didn't spot the link at the top, doh!

@thread

Drive is currently still behaving itself at UDMA 3

Go to top

Register To Post