Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
208 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 208

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

CyberStorm PPC Message
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
On the 4000PPC my triple boot is created on an 60Giga hard disk. Firts partition DH0 has 3.9, second DH1 has 4.0 and third DH2 has MorphOS. There is a common DH3 storage partition viewable by all OSes.

I use the early boot menu to choose partition, in the case of 4.0 I have to re enter in its own ROM's boot menu to re-set the boot DH1 partition.

Ealry Boot Menu appears by pressing the two mouse buttons on startup.

There are sometimes when I change boot partition to boot on OS4 that during the boot and BEFORE I get into the Early Boot Menu of OS4 to re-set the boot partition, that a window in orange color -text mode- appears with this message:

CS SCSI: No terminators. Not scanning for devices.

After I press the left mouse button the message disappears. I get into the early boot menu of OS4 and everything rolls well.

Have no hard disk problems in any of the installed OSes.

Should I get worried about this message?

A1-XE/800Mhz
Amiga 4000PPC
Sam440EP/667Mhz
PegasosII G4/1.0GHz
Go to top
Re: CyberStorm PPC Message
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@CountRaven

first i don't undersand why not using SFS (the latest) on all the 3 OSs.

You could see/write everything to/from whatever OS you are on, anyway...

Quote:
"I use the early boot menu to choose partition, in the case of 4.0 I have to re enter in its own ROM's boot menu to re-set the boot DH1 partition."

post here what priority you set for the 3 partitions.

The best way is to give AOS4 the higher priority (no need to enter twice in the early boot menu)

The only partition that requires entering twice in the Early boot menu, will then be AOS3.9

Quote:
"There are sometimes when I change boot partition to boot on OS4 that during the boot and BEFORE I get into the Early Boot Menu of OS4 to re-set the boot partition, that a window in orange color -text mode- appears with this message:

CS SCSI: No terminators. Not scanning for devices."

switching between what OSs ?

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Framiga

Quote:
The best way is to give AOS4 the higher priority (no need to enter twice in the early boot menu)

Nonsense. Both MorphOS and AOS4 allow to set the boot device by parameter or Kickstart entry. So the best way is to give the OS 3.9 partition the highest boot priority, set boot drive parameter in MorphOS and add boot drive text file to OS4's Kickstart layout. Then you need to enter the boot menu only once, no matter which OS you choose.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:
post here what priority you set for the 3 partitions.

The only partition that requires entering twice in the Early boot menu, will then be AOS3.9

Boot priority:

DH0 - 3.9 - 3
DH1 - 4.0 - 2
DH2 - MorphOS - 1

Well I want 3.9 first as it is still the OS that works fully in my Amiga. Still got all my WHDLoad stuff in there, have set up my Internet connection and my Paloma TV Card. 4.0 and MorphOS are still in progress. Moreover the Amiga came with 3.9 pre installed and the well known case with the Amiga not recognizing big hard drives was solved, my 60giga drive was recognized fine and well. I do not know if this was due to 3.9 being first but I did not want to destroy its partition.

Quote:
switching between what OSs ?

It appears when I try to boot to OS4 after the first early Boot Menu and before the OS4 Early boot menu. I am not switching between any OSes just open the Amiga and go to OS4.

EDIT After switching between OSes check: The message also appears at switching from 3.9 @ 4.0 (soft reset) and from MorphOS to 4.0 (soft reset), but again I have to point that it appears only before 4.0 early boot menu.

A1-XE/800Mhz
Amiga 4000PPC
Sam440EP/667Mhz
PegasosII G4/1.0GHz
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:
Nonsense. Both MorphOS and AOS4 allow to set the boot device by parameter or Kickstart entry. So the best way is to give the OS 3.9 partition the highest boot priority, set boot drive parameter in MorphOS and add boot drive text file to OS4's Kickstart layout. Then you need to enter the boot menu only once, no matter which OS you choose.

That would be great. I think the file is called BootDevice and it should be created inside the kickstart directory. It should contain only the boot drive for example DH1. I did this way and it did not work. Any mistakes or any kind of different filename / syntax?

And again I want to know if this message should worries me. I too a look into the manual of CyberStorm but nor reference and I do not know if it was there form the first time I booted into 4.0. If it is an OS / software issue it is really no big deal for me. I just want to know that my CyberStorm PPC does not have any trouble.

A1-XE/800Mhz
Amiga 4000PPC
Sam440EP/667Mhz
PegasosII G4/1.0GHz
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@CountRaven

if you need AOS3.9 as main boot partition, i can't help further.

Good luck

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Framiga

ok lets say that I change the boot priority and make the machine start from DH1 and OS4 would that make a difference?

I just want to know what this message is and to avoid entering in OS4 boot menu if it is possible.

A1-XE/800Mhz
Amiga 4000PPC
Sam440EP/667Mhz
PegasosII G4/1.0GHz
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@CountRaven

that message is probably due the incompatibility between the 2 native cybppc.device loaded residently by AOS4 and morphos.

I would try Thomas suggestion even if i doubt it will works (above all if you have IdeFix installed on AOS3.9)

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
and if you want to read some "further different opinions", you can take a look here

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/v ... _id=27969&forum=14#473974

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

@CountRaven

that message is probably due the incompatibility between the 2 native cybppc.device loaded residently by AOS4 and morphos.

Ahhh it could be. Although it appears only when I am trying to enter OS4 -and not MorphOS-, but your explanation still makes sence.

No big deal after all cause everything works fine but I just want to know what is behind this message.

As far as Thomas suggestion I already point that I added a text file called BootDevice in Kickstart directory of OS4. The text file contains only the line DH1 which is the boot partition of 4.0. It did not do the trick cause I still need to enter in 4.0 boot menu. Perhaps the syntax or the filename has an error. So if anyone knows something more it would be better to add or correct me.

I will also check the topic on AmigaWorld. It is always interesting to read such kind of info.

A1-XE/800Mhz
Amiga 4000PPC
Sam440EP/667Mhz
PegasosII G4/1.0GHz
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@CountRaven

You also have to add the name and path of the file to the Kicklayout.

You can do anything into the Kickstart directory but only what is mentioned in the Kicklayout is loaded. Everything else is just ignored.

Bye,
Thomas

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
MODULE Kickstart/BootDevice

is added that on kikctsrart layout.

(this line was actually REMed -;- and I simply activated it, adding the BootDevice file in the DH1:Kickstart folder-.

BootDevice text file includes that line only:

DH1

I get error message on boot:

Failed to proload loading Kickstart/BootDevice
Could not proload Module list.

Is it something wrong on the path specification?

Should I add MODULE DH1:Kickstart/BotDevice ?

Or is the error on the syntax of BootDevice file command?

Please give examples.

Edited by CountRaven on 2009/8/7 14:24:12
A1-XE/800Mhz
Amiga 4000PPC
Sam440EP/667Mhz
PegasosII G4/1.0GHz
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@CountRaven

is explained in SYS:Documentation/Kikckstart/bootmenu.doc

Predefining the default boot device in the KickLayout file
----------------------------------------------------------
This feature requires slb 1.16+ and Loader V51.10+ on an AmigaOne or
BootLoader 51.14+ on a classic machine. You should not try to use it
without those requirements, this may result in a non-booting or unstable
system!

If you want some other device than that with the highest boot priority
to be the default boot device for a given KickLayout file, add an entry

to the KickLayout file (caution, the name is case sensitive) and create
a text file with that name that contains the device name (not the volume
name) of the preferred boot device, e.g. this command

Echo >Kickstart/BootDevice "DH1"

executed in the shell will do it.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Framiga

hmmm

I have original OS4 classic. I have not updated yet to the updates provided by Hyperion. Would this update provide me with the correct 51.14 version of Bootloader? In different case how should I find it?

A1-XE/800Mhz
Amiga 4000PPC
Sam440EP/667Mhz
PegasosII G4/1.0GHz
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@CountRaven

our version is 52.4 since the beginning

Anyway i have just tryed to set AmigaOS3.9 as main boot partition (higher priority), setting the required operations and a i can boot in all the 3 OSs entering in the ess only once.

I have only changed proirity in MediaToolbox, uncomment the line in SYS:Kikckstart/KickLayout-A4000

created a file BootDevice in SYS:Kickstart/ and running in a shell

Echo >SYS:Kickstart/BootDevice "DH0"

Edit- of course all this will works only if you have a correctly active terminated SCSI chain (and the fact that "it just works under AOS3.9" is not enough)

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:
Echo >SYS:Kickstart/BootDevice "DH0"

Did it that way and it worked! Thanks Framiga!!!!

Mine is DH1 by the way. I do not know, the previous file was created on Notepad with same name -BootDevice- and same single DH1 line inside...

Only Amiga God knows...

The message do not appear now. Actually it appeared when I was trying to enter OS4 boot menu to re set the DH1 partition as boot partition. Now that OS4 boots right away, no boot menu, no message. But still if someone has an idea about this message or what it means -see my first post- can post here, just for the record, although I am almost sure it is a compatibility issue of cybppc.device.

Anyway... I am happier now that my OS4 boots right away :)))

Thanks again for all the help and support!!!!

Edited by CountRaven on 2009/8/8 4:05:45
A1-XE/800Mhz
Amiga 4000PPC
Sam440EP/667Mhz
PegasosII G4/1.0GHz
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@CountRaven

perfect!