Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
195 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 195

more...

Headlines

Register To PostTopic is Locked  

« 1 (2)
Re: Chance of buying an A1 XE second hand
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
http://www.flickr.com/photos/59783519@N00/329235072/

I hope it is OK to post a link to the pic here I got in a PM from BS. I am interested in finding out if this is the real "FIX"

If so I am hoping to do a deal whereas BS buys the board from his 'mysterious' seller and I buy it off him.

I get the board and BS makes some money.

Win Win

Anyone who has genuine knowledge of the hardware fix please respond.

Thanks.

Sensi

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I don't know of any website apart from the usual portals with their classified sections.

It wil be hard to find used NG Amigas online.

Some people used to use Amibench but a few conmen/trolls have ruined its reputation by ripping people off.

I've been advised to be very careful when buying hardware.

Unless it is someone you can meet and see the hardware it is risky.

I will definately not fall for any scams! Befor I buy anything I want to see it.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

poweramiga wrote:
I would buy it as a spare A1 for that cost

or a good starter for someone else???

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@SS:

Firstly, it's a hack, not a fix. It does not completely cure the problem, it merely reduces the probability of it happening, and software support does the rest when it does happen.

It's impossible to tell from that pic whether the hack has been done properly, but it is in the right area of the board (up near the CPU). There is more of it on the other side of the board.

The second closeup (lower left of the main pic) is nowt to do wit' DMA hack and is a factory mod.

FWIW, the USB fix (which is really a fix and not a hack) is just a case of adding a few small resistors to the USB ports. It can be done on the board but needs expert+tools to do it neatly with SMD resistors. I didn't bother, just added big pigtailed resistors that look ugly, but who's to see them?
Alternatively they can be added externally (to the cable to the front ports, for instance).

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@BeSilly

Neither of the fixes are really required, in fact, I wouldn't even suggest to do them.

For UDMA you can use Sil cards instead of the default IDE controller, which does UDMA together with the ethernet and works perfectly without any additional hacky wires on the mobo. I suggest to get a sATA card then, it's not expensive and you can have sATA drives with it.

For the misplaced resistors on USB: you can plug an external USB HUB, which eliminates the problem for good.

Go to top

Register To PostTopic is Locked
« 1 (2)