Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
206 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 206

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: Long boot time OS4 Final
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@TMTisFree

Quote:

Yessss, 12 sec

Good riddance
Which cpu do you have btw?

Jack

Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Jack

Thanks. It was a pain to wait one minute each time I reboot.

It's a 7457 @ 1,267 Ghz (CPU module repaired by ACube).

Bye,
TMTisFree

"Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence." (Napol?on Bonaparte)
"I would love to change the world, but they won?t give me the source code." (Unknown)
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@TMTisFree

So you're and Swisso are the only mortals who sport that speed on their A1 atm

Enjoy
Jack

Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Jack

Quote:

Jack wrote:
@TMTisFree

So you're and Swisso are the only mortals who sport that speed on their A1 atm

Enjoy
Jack

The speed difference (between 1,033 and 1,266MHz) is noticeable in update4, but in OS4Final the main speed gain comes from the new memory system OS4 has. I can say that, now (Final+July), one of my ARexx scripts (1.5MB) is opened in less that 1 second while in Update4 it tooks 3-4 seconds to load. But the system is now more strict with programming error...I get ARexx crash the system really easily.

But the system is really fast now.

Bye,
TMTisFree

"Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence." (Napol?on Bonaparte)
"I would love to change the world, but they won?t give me the source code." (Unknown)
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hi @TMTisFree

Yessss, 12 sec.: all IDE timeouts was set at 10 sec. in UBoot Prefs

Thanks for info! That's interesting... so two HDs and a CD/RW and DVD/RW account for 40secs. of delay. Even 5 secs cuts the time in half!

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:
12 sec

It take approx. 40 secs here to fully loaded WB (and all docks and so on). But I have a lot of stuff in WBStartup, user-startup and AmiDock. (I have that "run addnetinterface" in S-S.)

List of WBStartup: AISS, FuelGauge, StartTunenet, SGrab, Wet, AutoUpdateWB, CapsLockStater, TitleClock, BenchTrash, RAWBInfo, DefIcons, AsyncWB, AmiDock, ClickToFront, DepthToFront, ContextMenus, DiskImageGUI.

I have two visible dock panels and three hidden ones.

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Snuffy

I was probably not clear: what I meant is that now system takes 12 sec. to Workbench while with timeouts set at 10 sec. everywhere in UBoot it takes about 50 sec. All timeouts are now at 0 sec. and so it now boots in 12-14 sec. with WBStartup/User-startup fully loaded. Sorry for not being clear enough.

Bye,
TMTisFree

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@TMTisFree

I think your WBStartup is quite empty ?!?

X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@TSK

Quote:

I think your WBStartup is quite empty

I have pretty same times (certainly less than 10 seconds for soft-reset, more like 5-7sec., 15 items in wbstartup)
Uboot delays are default afair, no actual delays while scanning the devices, only countdown of uboot, then slb, then loading k-s/modules, then 5-7 seconds.
Only one change to the s:s-s: explicit "idetool" line for each device.
The only change to uboot setting besides enabling internal usb header is to set the hd's udma5.
Ide bus is as follows: primary master hd, secondary dvd master cdrw slave.
Fixed XE mobo.

Jack

Resized Image
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@TMTisFree

All timeouts are now at 0 sec

Will this cause any problems with devices?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@TSK

Only what OS4 final has installed, I think. Fully loaded = what is usually inside :
WBStartup: AutoUpdateWB, CapsLockStater, TitleClock, BenchTrash, RAWBInfo, DefIcons, AsyncWB, AmiDock, ClickToFront, DepthToFront, ContextMenus

Edit: WBStartup

Bye,
TMTisFree

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Snuffy

For the moment I have just one HDD (500GB) and one DVD burner. Both are recognized without any problem.
Next week, I will received 2 more HDDs. I expect no trouble when connected (I could even put 3 more but there are only 4 places in the case...).

Bye,
TMTisFree

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@TMTisFree

How can you make it 12-14 sec ? If I make my WBStartup empty it takes still 30 sec hard reset and 15 sec soft reboot. Can a CPU and hard drive make that much difference. When you guys start your stopwatches ? At the same time when you press reset button or when you see first messages from UBoot ??? Setting up hardware by UBoot takes some seconds too of course.

X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@TSK

Quote:

When you guys start your stopwatches ?

reset button
<=2 seconds till first countdown
3 seconds countdown
<=2 seconds till multiboot menu
multiboot counts whatever the delay is (default there, 10 seconds)
loading kickstart+modules (~5 seconds)
6 seconds from disappearance of kickstart/modules progress till fully loaded WB

Jack

Resized Image
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@TSK

You obviously haven't red this thread from the beginning. The 12 seconds is between the 'Loading done...' message and the Workbench to actually appear. it's not the time for a hard reset.

Bye,
TMTisFree

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@TMTisFree

Quote:
You obviously haven't red this thread from the beginning. The 12 seconds is between the 'Loading done...' message and the Workbench to actually appear. it's not the time for a hard reset.

Ok ! Thanks you told this. (English is not my native language.)

(@all
It's so easy to misunderstand things on these web forums.)

X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@TSK

No problem, not my native language either!

Bye,
TMTisFree

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)