Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
180 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 179

walkero, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: Evolution of AOS...
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@goody

A Linux host would be a very obvious choice, but the amount of HW specific dependencies etc, is an uncontrollable aspect. AOS4 offers a very lean and predictable host environment.

Amiga India, has the IO for small and diverse HW options.

REBOL IOS offers some benefits re small server options.

A version of OS4 whittled down to a few megabytes, with REBOL taking up some of the functional front-ends, would produce a good deal of OS control at the Application level (where it should be IMHO).

The Hyperion team has done a lot of abstraction work for the OS to make porting easier.

But the thing I really like, is the REBOL plug-ins, if these work the way I think they might in REBOL 3.0. That as compiled generalized code addressable by scripts.

If these plugins are well designed, as general as they should be, porting them could be done very easily. That is my hope.

There was mention on the REBOL site of going over to openGL for graphics, they currently use AGG that I like very well, but openGL has many advantages, not the least cross platform GPU compatibilities (if I understand this correctly).

If Amiga and REBOL go in this direction, a big "IF", we would have something truly remarkable. A huge shift from off-the-shelf software, a major transition from professional coders to experienced users control of application implementation and evolution.

Most importantly, a shift towards task orientated applications and an application environment that departs from the OS desktop prison of individual exe environments.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)