Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
153 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 153

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: Autoinstall?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@broadblues

I missed that. I haven't been using it due to the nature of libraries and their symlinks amongst other things. I'm not sure a RollBack would actually work, but I'd assume it keeps the right datestamp when copying. That's also important.

Quote:

I'm not sure how you set up CopyStore for shard objects (which I'm guessing are what you are writing installers for) when the binary name changes. IT makes abackup of existing binaries via the RollBack database, but a renamed binaray is a "new" binary as far as file names etc go.

a bug fix to lib.so.0.1.2.3 where the name stayed the same would work happily, replacing lib.so.0.1.2.3 with lib.so.0.1.2.4 is essentailly a new binary

I haven't been using CopyStore. For now, it's been removing the old version before installing the new one, which also avoids creating a big mess.

If someone wants to keep an old version, they'd need to do a lot more manual work than CopyStore could provide. They need to backup .pc, -config, .la and header files, and not just of that library, but other dependent libraries. Someone interested in keeping older versions will have kept the other archives, at least up until the point that they're satisfied that the newer version is working properly.

Edited by MickJT on 2014/1/12 9:17:48
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@MickJT

Quote:

I'm not sure a RollBack would actually work, but I'd assume it keeps the right datestamp when copying. That's also important.

A quick test suggests that it does preserve the filestamp of the rolled back version.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
So Ranger just got updated, but Amiupdate does not see it.
Ordinarily, I would have had no concerns getting it from os4depot and installing it myself. Now however with all this talk of manual installs confusing Amiupdate, I feel a little anxious

Edited by ddni on 2014/1/12 9:26:28
AmigaOne X1000.
Radeon RX550

http://www.tinylife.org.uk/
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ddni

You should be fine just installing it yourself. The only difference is that a RollBack won't be set up. It isn't going to prevent future updates. I'm guessing the reason you don't see the update is because it's not on the AmiUpdate list yet.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Thanks Mick.
I suppose that the download numbers on os4depot are less meaningful now given that many users get their updates from amiupdate?

AmigaOne X1000.
Radeon RX550

http://www.tinylife.org.uk/
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ddni

I'm not sure. I think some AmiUpdate downloads come down via OS4Depot and might be recorded in the numbers. You'd have to ask Orgin about that.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ddni

Exactly the same here (and with the previous version as well). Although in AmiUpdate, Ranger is in my compatible programs list, it just didn't appear.

To Be A True Adventurer, You Ought To Play Real Text Adventures
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Phantom
Quote:

Exactly the same here (and with the previous version as well). Although in AmiUpdate, Ranger is in my compatible programs list, it just didn't appear.

If you want to see why a particular app doesn't appear to be updating on your system then set the VERBOSe swicth in Update prefs and look in ram:au.log after running the scan.

Search for the program your interseted in and it'll say why it's not found and how it looked for it.

Also realise the database has to be updated by the developer, there there will be a short delay between uploading to os4depot and updating the database, the length of that delay will depend on al sorts of hunman factors, it's not automatic.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)