Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
176 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 176

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Anonymous
Re: Amiga History: Cloanto promised OS4 software?
@Fransexy

Several questions mentioned ...

However, Kickstart is not mentioned, even it can be understood so. However, Hyperion could and should use this to boost backward compatibility.

It seems everybody wants to see advance of the OS,
but to be honest, I am quite satisfied with its development, especially knowing the obstacles and small team. Its way beyond OS 3.x now, even with most of what 68k Amiga community can do (like this nice effort) its official, and developing further. 68k AmigaOS is dead, or better said "emulated" (that is why above story)
http://amigavideo.tripod.com/TechDetails2.htm

However, AmigaOS 4 retains two major weaknesses:
- No drivers for many printers, scanners and PCI cards
- No productivity native software, while most of 68k requires patching or is very limited for use 15-20 years ago

And this is hard and tought thing to get no matter what hardware.

On hardware side, I don`t believe we need to compete with Intel (which was pointless at 68k times too) for pure speed. OS is well built, and current PPC boards, even SOC run it well. That is most important. More then PC figures that in practice give not so good results (1 CPU even on 3Ghz can get to 100% use, paging file even with 2-3GB RAM and instability if turned off etc.)

About MUI4: If it gives any advance over MUI 3.8, it should be part of OS. Why having it only on MOS? OK MOs components might more relly on it, but that`s not excuse. What I would like to see is either emulation layers that would enable both software to be used under one OS (ending efectivly war) like e.g. OS4 emu
http://amigazeux.net/os4emu/
OR
more boards that support both OS`s dual boot (triple with Linux) - just like Pegasos and 68k Amigas + PPC

Also, on so common "what is Amiga"
http://www.monkeyhouse.eclipse.co.uk/amiga/zen.htm

Go to top
Re: Amiga History: Cloanto promised OS4 software?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Deniil Quote:
I tried Filer but it's just not there, being in the way all over WB, not having a button bar and no global hotkeys that doesn't require a qualifier.

What do you mean "not having a button bar"? It's got TWO: One for pre-defined functions, and one for user-defined functions!

What do you mean "all over WB"? If I understand right, then DOpus5 was like that too.

As for global hotkeys, although your requirement seems bizarre, I guess it would be possible to convert non-qualified keys into qualified ones using a utility (or write your own commodity to do it if necessary).

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)