Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
129 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 129

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

dopus4 copying = DOS error code 212 - object is not of required type ??
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi All, anyone know what this means?

I am using Dopus4 as included on the OS4.1u1 install CD as an extra item, copying all contents of my Work: partition to a backup partition. I'm currently running OS4.1u6, but no AmiUpdates after that as I have not yet got wifi working. This is my AmigaOne-XE G4.

The error message titling this thread is in the top titlebar of the Dopus4 window just to the right side of the close window gadget.
DOS error code 212 - object is not of required type

The Directory Opus Request popup windiw says:
An error occured copying "bin"
DOS error code 212 - object is not of required type

As best as I can figure out, it seems to be attempting to copy the bin subdir of the SDK 53.20 install, but I cannot tell exactly which file it has issue with. This is very slow going copy, but I'll try to remember and see if I can figure out what is missing on the destination side later when all is finished.

I told Dopus to skip, and had to do this 3 or 4 times total with this same error. It's now continuing with copying, and for the moment is still somewhere in the SDK drawer. All of the error messages so far were withing the SDK/bin area.

---------
I've also seen this now also in the bin subdir of the older SDK 53.13 install.

Edited by billt on 2013/6/14 17:16:41
Go to top
Re: dopus4 copying = DOS error code 212 - object is not of required type ??
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
broken links?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

broadblues wrote:
broken links?

I've never used links in AmigaOS myself, so I'm not sure what they would look like. I installed SDK 53.20 a few days ago, so I would imagine that would be intact and good regardless.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information

DOpus4 cannot handle links. At least not in the publicly available versions. I did not try the one mentioned here.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@billt
What version of Dopus4 are you using? There are 3 of the most recent versions at https://sourceforge.net/projects/diropus4/files/DirectoryOpus4-OS4/

In the latest version of Dopus4 the error message you are getting occurs when you attempt to copy a directory from an archive that is displayed in one of the listers. I think you can copy individual files from an archive but not a directory. Like the AmigaDOS "copy" command, links get copied as files so I don't think the problem is with links.

Amiga X1000 with 2GB memory & OS 4.1FE + Radeon HD 5450

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

xenic wrote:
@billt
What version of Dopus4 are you using? There are 3 of the most recent versions at https://sourceforge.net/projects/diropus4/files/DirectoryOpus4-OS4/

In the latest version of Dopus4 the error message you are getting occurs when you attempt to copy a directory from an archive that is displayed in one of the listers. I think you can copy individual files from an archive but not a directory. Like the AmigaDOS "copy" command, links get copied as files so I don't think the problem is with links.

This is
Dopus 4.18.29 Jacek Rzeuski (C)1993-2006
dopus.library 22.40
compiled 2009/10/01 at time 00:19:03

And is the "extras" installation version as found on and installed by the OS4.1 update 1 boot/install CD.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

broadblues wrote:
broken links?

You may be right, I finally got to have a look around, and these are the

SDK/POSIX/bin/ dir which if I double-click on in dopus4 takes me to SDK/C/. That sounds sortof like a link as I know them in Linux.

Would it be better to lha or something for my backup to retain the links?

Though I wish it worked here in dopus as it's convenient and I like it... And I plan to mangle my partitions to make room for Linux, so would rather avoid archives, and do moving around with simple copies so stuff is not packed up, I would lik eto stil lb eable to see and use things using assigns or something until they reach their final destination after Linux.

Anyone know how the ongoing Dopus Magellan port to OS4.x does with links??

Are there any special flags to lha to tell it to retain functional links when extracted later?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hmmm, LHA is not happy either.

*** LhA: Unable to open file `worka1:dev/SDK_53.13/POSIX/bin/BuildLanguageCT' for reading.

LhA Freeware version 2.8 (C) 2004 Sven Ottemann

My command line was:

lha a -3ra sdk_53.13.lha worka1:dev/SDK_53.13

Is it possible to copy or archive or something a link in AmigaOS?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Here's hoping for a "copy #? all clone" to do better...

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@billt
In the LHA amigaguide documentation TODO link it says:
" - Support hard/soft links. "
which implies that lha doesn't support links.

The only way I can copy links is WorkBench drag'n-drop (ASyncWB). I think you will find that the AmigaDOS "copy" command will copy the linked file like Dopus4 does. The link will be a file in the destination instead of a link like in the source.

Amiga X1000 with 2GB memory & OS 4.1FE + Radeon HD 5450

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

billt wrote:
Here's hoping for a "copy #? all clone" to do better...

No error messages, at least not at the end where I can see, but it also did nothing at all for the SDK/POSIX/bin link to SDK/C. So still not a functional backup. :(

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
COPY had a COPYLINKS option but this causes it to copy the linked file as a file in the destination, and doesn't appear to copy directories.

This is still not what you want.

Best thing todo would be to copy the files with "COPY CLONE #? all COPYLINKS" and then remake the linked directories with makelink

Since you have the sdk installed you might also try 'cp' I believe this will copy the links as links. Being part of the posix stuff it may not handle all amiga protection bits correctly so I would only use it to copy the sdk part.

do something like

cp -R src:SDK dest:SDK

adjusting src: and dest: to suit your setup ofcourse.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I was going to suggest using tar -cvf and -xvf, but it appears the version in the SDK doesn't preserve symbolic links either.

Edit: I should note that it does compress/extract successfully, but makes the linked files *real* files instead.

Edited by MickJT on 2013/6/19 13:49:52
Edited by MickJT on 2013/6/19 13:50:25
Go to top

Register To Post