Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
149 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 147

VooDoo, musashi5150, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Why not porting EASy68K?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Browsing the internet to find an assembly emulator under x86 I came across with this free tool: EASy68K.

Is it possible for someone to port it under AmigaOS 4.x? That would be a nice addition for assembler programmers who run the newer AmigaOS 4.x system.

Yes, it's better to program in assembly under your old Amigas, but this emulator can handle it very well for various testings and examples without the need to switch to old Amigas all the time.

More info here: http://www.easy68k.com/

To Be A True Adventurer, You Ought To Play Real Text Adventures
Go to top
Re: Why not porting EASy68K?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information

Why do you think this would be of any use? It is not related to Amiga in any way. It simulates (not emulates) a custom hardware which looks quite simple, but is in no way compatible to Amiga hardware. A program written for this virtual hardware would not do anything meaningful on an Amiga if it would run at all.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information

AmigaOS4 run 68K assembler code just fine, AmigaOS4 already contains 2 CPU emulators, one interpreted and one JIT based see the Putuna project.

All you need to make or work on 68k software is a compiler, an SDK for classic AmigaOS3.X like NDK3.9.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:
Why do you think this would be of any use?

It's an educational sort of tool that you might see used in a university assembly programming class. It's used to learn assembly language, this one for 68000 in particular, to get used to hardware/embedded style programming to light up certain LEDs, take input from certain switches, etc. In my university assembly course we used 68k, both a software simulator and a board that looked sortof like Easy68k's GUI looks, with lights, buttons, etc. on it.

It's certainly not something to write Amiga software for. If the OP's goals are compatible with the intentions of easy68k then it's a great tool for him to use.

There had been talk about them porting easy68k to use wxwidgets for GUI at one point, which would have made it easier if we had a wxwidgets port completed. I'm not sure that easy68k completed a wxwidgets port, but I'd still love to see our bounty come out of limbo. Or it could have been used with AmiCygnix. As it is, someone porting easy68k probably needs to recreate the GUI to something Amiga does support. Or do the WxWdigets port using AmiCygnix while we wait for a native wrapper, and everyone else out there gets WxWidgets version too. :)

Something else that I can see this kind of simulator being useful for is doing small assembly test programs (really small, just to change register values and do a couple other things to check the resulting behavior) to compare with the same tiny test programs simulating a VHDL or Verilog 68k implementation. Assuming easy68k is a complete and correct model, it may be easier to use for such purposes than an entire computer based on 68k that wants to boot from an OS ROM and lots of things that are not part of what you want a hardware test program being affected by. Then you have a working example to compare your TG68, ao68000, k68, WF_68K00_IP, or whatever simulations to when adding more pins not previously implemented, operating modes, support more instructions, and other features if someone chooses to do such a thing. If you want to do similar testing with *UAE, you may need to get your test program to look liek a kickstart image to avoid kickstart from doing initialization that could affect what you want to look at.

Go to top

Register To Post