Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
102 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 102

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Selling my AmigaOne XE-G4
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Go get it, you know you want it: http://bit.ly/qWsfU8

Go to top
Re: Selling my AmigaOne XE-G4
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I see from your listing this is an "unfixed" board.

Can someone recap for me what the restrictions are with the board in this state?

Is a PCI NIC mandatory? PCI USB?

Thanks

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

gregthecanuck wrote:
Can someone recap for me what the restrictions are with the board in this state?

It means the USB ports does not support hotpluging. This can be worked around by using a cheap USB hub, or it can be fixed by soldering a resistor to the mainboard, there are descriptions on how to do that somewhere on the internet. Or simply always connect you USB peripherals before switching the machine on.

It also means that you can not have harddisk running in DMA mode on the onboard IDE controller, which is why I have used the PCI IDE Controller.

The problem has something to do with the onboard NIC and onboard IDE controller. They collide somehow. But using a PCI IDE controller works around this problem and I have had not other problems with the onboard NIC.

/Steen

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Shadow -

Thanks for the info. Item on my watchlist...

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
You can actually use DMA with the on-board IDE controller, the problem is that you can't use it at the same time as the on-board Ethernet controller or you get DMA transfer errors.

Use a PCI card for either of them and you're sweet. Most people used an SiI0680 PATA card for their HDs, but these days you're better off with a SATA card, eg SiI3112, 3512 or 3114. All are supported by OS4 drivers.

The "DMA fix" or "DMA hack" as I prefer to call it, has a side effect - it means that you can't use a graphics card in the first (66 MHz) PCI slot. Many people prefer to leave their boards without the "DMA hack" for this reason.

You are right about the USB problem. However, anyone handy with a soldering iron can add the resistors for you - it only takes a few minutes.

cheers
tony
Go to top

Register To Post