Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
87 user(s) are online (44 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 87

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Building up a FAQ
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hi all,

Random questions will appear here over the next few days. To start the ball rolling.

Can an Amiga easily access a Wi-Fi hotspot? Yes, No or not too clever?

Is it possible to import a mailbox from say Apple Mail or MS Outlook into YAM or SimpleMail?

I understand that AmigaOS can have Samba installed. Does it come with AmigaOS as standard? And secondly can it easily access Mac OS X machines as well as Windows PCees?

Edited by djrikki on 2010/6/20 22:48:16
Go to top
Anonymous
Re: Building up a FAQ
@djrikki

Nikki, I am not an expert, but to the best of my knowledge

1) Wi-Fi acess

No, as there is no Wi-Fi hardware in current SAM/X1000 models and there are no drivers for many external cards. If you really dig deep, there are couple of quite old (AmigaOne time) wireless cards, maybe use Vesalia or AmigaKit and ask them, see what they are offering, that has the wireless card driver.

Also to be honest, there is not too much need, as long as there are NO Amiga laptops and handheld devices. But something must be worked on.

2) E-mail import

NO, it seems that YAM and SimpleMail do not support such import and from external scripts and utils, only those among Amiga formats (e.g. between YAM, SimpleMail, Thor) do exist on Aminet/OS4 depot

However, since it supports pop3 gmail and yahoo mail could be set up and downloaded.

MAYBE some mid format other mailers could EXPORT TO
and YAM/SimpleMail import could be the middle solution.

YAM states
http://trac.yam.ch/wiki/Features
MBOX format compliant mail import/export routines.

3) SAMBA ... best to my knowledge is NOT yet part of OS (maybe it was introduced with updates)

This should be the website
http://www.birrabrothers.com/tiger/data/samba/download/index.htm

All these needs some nice care.

Shot em up,
Maybe it would be better to make a idiot FAQ
what Amiga is now, as PPC system
and then add this as troubleshoot

Go to top

Register To Post