Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
50 user(s) are online (21 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 50

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Is C:Which buggy?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
8.Workbench:> which libs: all
Workbench:Libs
8.Workbench:>

C:Assign shows SYS:Libs and MUI:Libs/

Is it also normal for "Assign Libs:" to get rid of the Libs: assign?

Also, a couple of other questions.

On OS3 I believe I could remove an assign with "Assign place: remove", but now it wants the location of the place as well.

The other question, if I don't have the SDK startup in user-startup, but in a shell I type Execute SDK:S/SDK-Startup, then the SDK will only work in that shell window. Once I upon up another window, it seems all assigns and things are lost. Is it something in SDK-Startup that makes it local? I haven't looked.

Go to top
Re: Is C:Which buggy?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@MickJT

The 'which' command is only for finding an executable program in the current path, not for what you want here.

To view all of an assign, you can use 'assign libs: exists' or similar. See this and other fine usage information in your sys:documentation/c/assign.doc

Yes it is normal for an assign command with no target to delete the assignment. It is treated as "assign libs: to nothing"

Because assignments are a _list_ of paths to search, when you REMOVE you need to specify which path in the list you want removed.
SYS11:[6]> assign test1ram:
SYS11:[6]> mkdir test1:subtest
SYS11
:[6]> assign test1test1:subtest add
SYS11
:[6]> assign test1exists
test1          RAM Disk
:
             + 
RAM Disk:subtest
SYS11
:[6]> assign test1ramremove
SYS11
:[6]> assign test1exists
test1          RAM Disk
:subtest

The SDK startup scripts contain assigns, paths, and env var settings. Some of those are system-wide changes and some are for the shell only. So if you run it in one shell, that shell and others opened from it are the only places it is fully active. If it's done in user-startup, that runs in the startup task before it launches 'LoadWB', which means the Workbench inherits all the changes from it, which also means everything else like shells launched later also inherit it all.

Scott Woodall

Go to top
Re: Is C:Which buggy?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@MickJT

Quote:
which libs: all

Use Assign libs: exists instead. I guess Which command is targeted for DOS commands and not paths/assigns.

Quote:
On OS3 I believe I could remove an assign with "Assign place: remove", but now it wants the location of the place as well.

In your example of Libs: you can remove MUI:Libs with Assign libs: MUI:Libs REMOVE without losing sys:Libs. On classic system you lost both assigns with REMOVE and had to put sys:Libs back afterwards. (That feature exists for multi assigns.)

Quote:
but in a shell I type Execute SDK:S/SDK-Startup, then the SDK will only work in that shell window.

I think Shell's are local and not global environments nowadays. (That annoyed me a little bit in the beginning but I guess there's a locigal reason for how they work.) Somebody else have to explain better.

(Edit: swoodall?did beat me to it.)

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top

Register To Post