Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
112 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

How to read a crash log report ?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi everyone,

A question : i'm trying to use WarpSnes with my A1 OS4.1 and when I load a SNES ROM it crashes.

I've saved report in RAM to c how it is. But i've never read a crash report. Could someone help me ? Can I learn it or one needs to understand programming ?

By the way, is there anyone who can use it ? Before on my AOS4.0 it worked fine.

Thanks.

Nic

Go to top
Re: How to read a crash log report ?
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@unimon

They're of limited use to anybody except the programmer.

The most useful section is the stack trace - from this you can find out exactly where in the code it crashed.

But, yeah, that's of limited use if you don't have the source code.

Chris

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@unimon

Crash logs is mostly useful for developers.

The first thing I check is stack-trace.

The srack trace, starts whit the name of function where it crashed, and tracks back a few steps.

the second thing I look at is the disassembled machine code, normaly crashes on ldz or sdz, lds is load from memory, stz is save cpu register to memory, this not really what I'm looking for.

What I was looking for was the registers in use at point of crash, then I lookup the value from the registers, a zero value is often a bad thing to see.

Now that we know where it crashed, if its zero pointer fault then we know some thing about way, else if its not I will need to do more inquires about way it crashed, if crashed is in a libc function or exec or some other part of the OS, then I can assume that some argument for that function (value/pointer) was bad, the OS in generally is well tested.

If I can't guess what whent wrong based on this information given, then I will put lots of debugprintf() or printf() at last point of crash, to obtain more information.

Edited by LiveForIt on 2009/4/1 2:02:24
(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@unimon

I will look into WarpSNES In detail once I am finished with updating Mame&Mess to the most recent version.

MagicSN

Go to top

Register To Post