Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
207 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 207

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 (3)
Re: Sam440ep "The Red One"
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Atheist

Quote:

Hopefully the trial will be resolved/over in Hyperion's favor by then.

I don't think it will be over so quickly. I also don't think that, having seen the 2001 contract, Hyperion has to wait for the court case to be over to release OS4 for new hardware.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Kreciu

Quote:
Yes, processor is slower, but Amiga OS NEWER needed fast processors :), only some coding/decoding...

Mhz is not just about doing coding/decoding but the ability to execute many instructions per second, if how ever memory speed is to slow you will not be able to fetch instructions in ideal speed, won?t get any ideal performance out Ghz CPU.

This effects how many programs you can run at the same time, or how well 3D game will run, but don?t get me wrong memory speed is important, not just the CPU, I think many under estimate the need for fast memory access.

Even so I think Sam440 will be able to run full screen DivX, videos, play your MP3?s and surf the web, and all that, but for 3D video rendering or some like that, or Classic OS3.x emulation you need all the CPU you can throw at it.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@COBRA

Quote:

COBRA wrote:
@BillE

The reason we have 667MHz in the Sam440 is because there weren't any more poweful SoC (Silicon on Chip) devices available at the time when the Sam was designed, and also the 440EP has a reasonable price tag attached to it.

So there was a technical reason after all, or at least an availabilty issue.

Quote:

However now there are much more powerful SoC solutions available, ...
So there are a lot of SoC solutions available now, but these have only been available since very recently, and we are not likely to see any completed boards based on these chips this year.

It sounds good for the future though. One day there may be something to upgrade my A1 to

Bill.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Kreciu

Quote:

realy would like to buy it... Sam440 come to me ;)

Don't get me wrong, if I didn't already have an A1-XE I too would be queuing up for one.

It is just not worth getting one as an upgrade as something more powerful would be needed for an Amiga Two.

Bill.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@BillE

You all are right ;).

First think off all is OPERATING SYSTEM, there are tons of "fun" hardware but... even if I could buy a Sam440 I can install (not stable) Linux... which I can do on 5 year old PC...

IF SOMEONE ALLOW ME TO USE OS4.0 (which is ready to go but Amiga Inc... kiss ass to PC users so they DON'T want support Amiga... any more. Go and see AMAZING programs which you can buy from amiga.com...).

I would like to see OS4.0 for Amiga "classic" with PPC (we have it NOW), Amiga ONE (it's there to), Sam440 (suppose to be there) AND Pegasos... yes, pegasos since there is a LOT people using this mobo... unify our people for ONE system, no more divisions :).

And than good programs, we have SOME good one but we need more (I can pay, I pay for PC progrmas why not for programs for AMI???).

There are some programs which we HAVE to have to use today computers.

Sam440 looks for me great (efika is good to but...).

GIVE ME A OS4.0 and SPUTNIK = kreciu is happy. The rest will come in time :).

Ehh, I know that I will wait for this next year, but I used to it...

Kreciu

PS. Now I'm building my A1200/Ebox/Mediator/Voodoo2200/SB128/040.33/32RAM/4xEide.... I'm looking for PPC? But to find it is a miracle... or price is killing...

Ehhh... ;)

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 (3)