Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
112 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 110

BillE, MigthyMax, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: OWB splash window
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@orgin

Just uploaded. The WAITFORPORT functionality is configurable (disabled by default) so it's not tied to OWB.

Joerg can include it with OWB if he wants to. I've included a preconfigured launcher for OWB inside a drawer in the archive.

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@salass00

Just tested, works perfectly :)

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
That works great! Thanks!

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@BillE

Quote:

I have been wondering why OWB does not have some sort of splash window to let you know you have actually clicked its icon. I was going to suggest it but I don't need to now !

The delay before any user response is given is far too Windows like. Nothing seems to haoppen for ages before the main window opens.

Opening a small centered window is not too difficult is it - sort of the next level in any Amiga C tutorial from the "Hello World" example

The thing is that OWB cannot open a splash screen if it is not running! It takes all this time to load and start the actual executable OWB. OWB itself isn't running until right before you see its window. Not until then can the program do anything, like opening a splash. Then it'll be a bit too late..

It takes all this time because 1) the executable is huge and takes a while to load, but mostly because of 2) all the .so file needs to be loaded (and they are also huge) and then they need to be linked by the OS before execution can begin.

An external splash loader is the only way to solve this.

Software developer for Amiga OS3 and OS4.
Develops for OnyxSoft and the Amiga using E and C and occasionally C++
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Deniil

External launchers like that are nothing new - my Wordworth install does the same thing (20K app that you run, shows a splash screen and kicks up the 800K main bulk of the code). It isn't quite so clever though, as it appears to have no idea when Wordworth is actually running, and stays on screen for a considerable amount of time.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Chris

> External launchers like that are nothing new ...

I know. I just thought it wasn't explained clear enough why OWB itself couln't display a splash.

We in Amiga-land are not used to apps taking more than 1/10 second to load, unless loaded from a loud floppy where it is obvious when it is still loading...

Most apps having some kind of startup message on Amiga usually start the exe very quick but then takes a while to load data files. YAM and IBrowse are examples of that....

Software developer for Amiga OS3 and OS4.
Develops for OnyxSoft and the Amiga using E and C and occasionally C++
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)