Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me



Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
83 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 83

more...

Support us!

Headlines






What's happened to Smart FileSystem 2?
Just can't stay away
Joined:
2006/11/30 11:30
From Finland
Posts: 1740
I can't find it on the SFS page anymore:
http://strohmayer.org/sfs/

I'm going to need a filesystem capable of handling files >4GB if I'm to test the mounting of DVD images with diskimage.device (I have just implemented NSD64/TD64 support but have yet to test it).

Also any suggestions on DVD mountlists for me to try/use would be appreciated too.

   Report Go to top

Re: What's happened to Smart FileSystem 2?
Just popping in
Joined:
2007/4/1 10:16
Posts: 50
@salass00

I think there were some issues with the 64-bit support in SFS2 and thus it was removed.

edit: This thread should probably be moved here.

   Report Go to top

Re: What's happened to Smart FileSystem 2?
Just can't stay away
Joined:
2006/11/30 11:30
From Finland
Posts: 1740
@AmiDog

That's too bad. AFAIK there are no alternatives to use files >4GB? I was looking forward to trying out this feature. Guess I will have to work on other stuff for now...

   Report Go to top

Re: What's happened to Smart FileSystem 2?
Just can't stay away
Joined:
2006/11/30 11:30
From Finland
Posts: 1740
@salass00

Screenshot showing a new feature that will be in the 52.3 release of diskimage.device (write protection):

Resized Image

   Report Go to top

Re: What's happened to Smart FileSystem 2?
Not too shy to talk
Joined:
2006/11/24 16:23
Posts: 370
@salass00

Nice work, really appreciated!

   Report Go to top

Re: What's happened to Smart FileSystem 2?
Just can't stay away
Joined:
2006/12/1 19:07
From Germany
Posts: 1022
@salass00

Quote:

salass00 wrote:
I can't find it on the SFS page anymore:
http://strohmayer.org/sfs/

There were bugs in the large file support, for example image files > 4 GB didn't work with my CD/DVD burning tool, but I currently don't have free HD space to create a SFS2 partition for checking what's wrong and fix it, therefore it's removed.
There was no interrest in it anyway, AFAIK the only programs in which large file support was added are lha and DvPlayer, both done by OS4 developers or beta testers who didn't need SFS2 for testing the large file support in their software.

Quote:
I'm going to need a filesystem capable of handling files >4GB if I'm to test the mounting of DVD images with diskimage.device (I have just implemented NSD64/TD64 support but have yet to test it).

NSD64 is only half of what you need, the image file has to be accessed using 64 bit offsets as well. OS4 final includes the 64 bit dos.library functions, but IIRC they were not in the last public SDK yet. You'd have to write custom functions using the old, 32 bit dos functions as workaround. That's of course possible, but it's more work.
If the 64 bit dos.library functions were not in the last public SDK yet and the new diskimage.device is for AmigaOS4 only I could sent you a small link library with some 64 bit functions, but if you want to support AmigaOS 3.x as well you'll have to write your own functions based on the old 32 bit functions anyway.
I have another file system with 100% working large file support, if you sent me a beta version of diskimage.device I can test if it works correctly with files > 4 GB.

Quote:
Also any suggestions on DVD mountlists for me to try/use would be appreciated too.

IIRC the ICD0 mountlist included in the old, m68k versions of diskimage.device is ok (a lot of it is for CacheCDFS, but it's ignored by CDFileSystem and doesn't cause problems). You just have to make sure it includes DosType = 0x43443031, LowCyl = 0 and BlockSize = 2048.

   Report Go to top

Re: What's happened to Smart FileSystem 2?
Just can't stay away
Joined:
2006/11/30 11:30
From Finland
Posts: 1740
@joerg

Quote:

NSD64 is only half of what you need, the image file has to be accessed using 64 bit offsets as well. OS4 final includes the 64 bit dos.library functions, but IIRC they were not in the last public SDK yet.


This is the function I am using (from latest public SDK):

success = ChangeFilePosition( file, position, mode )
int32 ChangeFilePosition(BPTR, int64, int32)

Quote:

I have another file system with 100% working large file support, if you sent me a beta version of diskimage.device I can test if it works correctly with files > 4 GB.


The latest v52.3 version I uploaded to OS4Depot today should have working NSD64 support. If you could try it out with your filesystem it would be appreciated.

Quote:

IIRC the ICD0 mountlist included in the old, m68k versions of diskimage.device is ok (a lot of it is for CacheCDFS, but it's ignored by CDFileSystem and doesn't cause problems). You just have to make sure it includes DosType = 0x43443031, LowCyl = 0 and BlockSize = 2048.


Thanks for that. I'll try it out if I can find/make some smaller DVD iso files to test with.

   Report Go to top

Re: What's happened to Smart FileSystem 2?
Just can't stay away
Joined:
2006/12/1 19:07
From Germany
Posts: 1022
@salass00

Quote:

This is the function I am using (from latest public SDK):

success = ChangeFilePosition( file, position, mode )
int32 ChangeFilePosition(BPTR, int64, int32)
Ok, then probably only the 64 bit directory scanning functions like ExamineDir() were not in the SDK yet.

Quote:
The latest v52.3 version I uploaded to OS4Depot today should have working NSD64 support. If you could try it out with your filesystem it would be appreciated.
I've tested it successfully with a 4,546,701,312 bytes image file.


Quote:
Quote:
IIRC the ICD0 mountlist included in the old, m68k versions of diskimage.device is ok (a lot of it is for CacheCDFS, but it's ignored by CDFileSystem and doesn't cause problems). You just have to make sure it includes DosType = 0x43443031, LowCyl = 0 and BlockSize = 2048.
Thanks for that. I'll try it out if I can find/make some smaller DVD iso files to test with.
You can remove everything after the StackSize line from?CD1 and CD2, the "Control" options in these mountlists are only supported by CacheCDFS and are ignored by CDFileSystem.
You should use different names for the diskimage.device mountlists, if someone has 2 CD/DVD drives installed he has a CD1: already, and on classic Amigas at least DF0: is always there (unless the floppy drive is broken). An icon for DiskImageGUI should be included, even if it's just the def_tool one, if you put it into SYS:WBStartup without icon it's not started.

   Report Go to top

Re: What's happened to Smart FileSystem 2?
Just can't stay away
Joined:
2006/11/30 11:30
From Finland
Posts: 1740
@joerg

Quote:

I've tested it successfully with a 4,546,701,312 bytes image file.


Thanks.

Quote:

You can remove everything after the StackSize line from CD1 and CD2, the "Control" options in these mountlists are only supported by CacheCDFS and are ignored by CDFileSystem.

You should use different names for the diskimage.device mountlists, if someone has 2 CD/DVD drives installed he has a CD1: already, and on classic Amigas at least DF0: is always there (unless the floppy drive is broken).


Done.

Quote:

An icon for DiskImageGUI should be included, even if it's just the def_tool one, if you put it into SYS:WBStartup without icon it's not started.


That was a mistake. There should have been an icon, except I forgot to include it in all three releases I've made up to now. The icon I'm using is the def_disk one.

Thanks for pointing it out. I probably wouldn't have noticed it otherwise.

   Report Go to top





[Advanced Search]



Powered by XOOPS 2.0 © 2001-2016 The XOOPS Project