Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
109 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 106

FlynnTheAvatar, Rob, joerg, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

A1 + Radeon 9250 = No Linux
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to bring this up, so apologies if it's OT.

Since upgrading my GFX card to a Radeon 9250 a couple of months back, I've lost the ability to boot in Linux. Whenever I do so, it says "can initialise X11" (or something).

Now I know nothing about Linux and was only just starting to play around with it. Can anyone tell me if there's an easy way to fix this? From my understanding it shouldn't've happened, the Raedon 9250 should be backwards compatible with the 7000.

Go to top
Re: A1 + Radeon 9250 = No Linux
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@daveyw

This might help you,

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questio ... adeon-9250-driver-383625/

Sorry I can't help further.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@daveyw

What are your Linux boot args? Maybe it would help to change "radeon" to "radeonfb".

Does it boot but it's text only, or does it not boot at all?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@daveyw

2 years ago,with a hold version of debian,i remenber that my AoneXE don't boot with my 9250 and the driver ati.

i could boot only with the generic driver 800x600 screen with a ugly scrolling because the real screen was 1024x768

since i abandoned linux

If you have a goods news with a newer version .....

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@daveyw

When I booted Linux for the first time after installing my Radeon 9250, I would only get the text login. I solved it but I don't remember exactly what I did. I THINK I logged in as root and entered:

dpkg-reconfigure xfree86

It then let me change many of the settings (keyboard, mouse, etc...). Of course the one that matters in this situation is monitor/video. As I recall there were 2 settings that seemed appropriate for the Radeon 9250. It was set to one already so I chose the other ("fbdev" maybe?).

Maybe one of the Linux experts on this site can be more precise.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@powermetal

Quote:

powermetal wrote:
@daveyw

2 years ago,with a hold version of debian,i remenber that my AoneXE don't boot with my 9250 and the driver ati.

i could boot only with the generic driver 800x600 screen with a ugly scrolling because the real screen was 1024x768

since i abandoned linux

If you have a goods news with a newer version .....

I had the same problem the very first time I installed Linux on my A1. I was still using the Radeon 7000 at the time. During the install you can select which screen modes you want to use. If you selected more than one Linux was SUPPOSED to default to the highest resolution. I found that wasn't the case and was stuck with a 800x600 screen.

What I did was re-run that part of the install and ONLY select the screen mode I wanted to use (1024x768 in my case).

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@RacerX

Quote:

RacerX wrote:
@daveyw

What are your Linux boot args? Maybe it would help to change "radeon" to "radeonfb".

Does it boot but it's text only, or does it not boot at all?

Sorry, I don't know what the Linux boot args are. I don't even know what Linux boot args are, or how to access them.

It boots to text, I see a DOS-like screen, and that's when I get the message that it can't initialise the display. Then it prompts for a login. I don't know what this login is (I bought the machine second hand), and it's not the same as the GUI login.

Go to top

Register To Post