Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
130 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 130

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Boot HD Problem!
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
A4000/40 OS 3.1

The internal HD is 5G, partitioned into five 1G units. This setup has worked without problem for a year or so.

I tried an unfamiliar WHDLoad and it seems to have disabled the boot partition (ie HD0: is not a DOS Device).

If I boot from disk, all the partitions (and a couple of external drives) show up and operate normally. Of course I want to preserve as much as possible.

Any suggestions welcome.

Go to top
Re: Boot HD Problem!
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@frl9lk

You cannot go past the 4GB limit with Kickstart 3.1. So once you start writing to the 5th 1GB-partition, it will destroy the first one. Perhaps even filling up the 4th partiton with data might overwrite the beginning of the HDD. One day you might even loose all partitions when you overwrite the partition table.

Run Check4GB from Aminet to check. If you have further questions, post its output here.

Bye,
Thomas

Go to top
Re: Boot HD Problem!
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@frl9lk

there are few options,

You need support for large disks, 64bit disk seek and read and write, boot partition most be whit in first 2GB.

upgrade the filesystem, install the TD64 patch, or upgrade to OS3.5/3.9,

OS3.5/3.9 comes whit NSD64 patch, almost the same as TD64 patch, but you can't mix a TD64 files system whit NSD64 Device, or NSD64 filesystem whit a TD64 filesystem,

Some file systems supports TD64 and NSD64 not not all,

there also exists a giga.device, it split up disk in smaller disks of 2GB.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top

Register To Post