Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
133 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 131

kas1e, balaton, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Pee-Sea Par port video grabber+Amiga
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hello all, Again. I've recently gotten ahold of a Snappy parallel port video grabber by PLAY, and have a few Amiga related questions about it. I'll just list them out here, and when I get off of work (2nd shift, 10 hours.. ughh...) I'll edit my post and put a pic link. (On all 3 amiga forums I post to.. gotta love the clipboard + tabbed browsers!)

1) Any commercial/shareware/freeware Amiga software that can take a generic parallel port grabbers input? (Might/might not work, I remember a proggy on aminet that did voice recognition, which I used with an old perfectsound digitizer, worked fine, gave it up because I needed my printer, and my wife called me lazy because I couldn't be bothered to fire up my browser with a mouse, I had to talk to my computer instead.. think she's just jealous because she can't get her XP system to do that hehehe..)

2) I've gotten a reply on an Amiga mailing list I'm on that implied some wireing differences between Amiga's and PC's parallel ports. I don't want to plug this thing in to test it and blow a CIA chip or something, would this happen, or would it just not work?

3) If aformentioned problem exists, I plan on towering my 1200 with my next tax return, are there any PCI Amiga compatible par ports that will wrok?

thanx for any help.

Resized Image
Go to top
Re: Pee-Sea Par port video grabber+Amiga
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kvasir

Quote:

which I used with an old perfectsound digitizer, worked fine, gave it up because I needed my printer, and my wife called me lazy because I couldn't be bothered to fire up my browser with a mouse, I had to talk to my computer instead.. think she's just jealous because she can't get her XP system to do that hehehe..)

OT:
It's high time you achieved a telepatic communication with wour A1200

Good luck on yur search
Jak

Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Jack

funny you should mention the telepathic thing. My buddy and I were drinking beers a few years back, jawing about how it should be possible to put detectors in a ballcap sensitive enough to pick up on the brains em patterns, and use that to train a vorec similar system. I've talked to a neurologist about this, too. I guess it's too much trouble, because the sensors have to be extremly close to the skin, and placed professionaly on the scalp for the best location. The funny thing is I thought of doing that at one point.

Resized Image
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
UPDATE

Finally got the guts to figure this thing out. I've downloaded the Graffito24 software and installed it, then plugged the framegrabber to my wifes XP box, and installed the win95 software. Only to find that it didn't work. Then I popped open the battery cover only to find a 9 volt battery with "Only for use with original equipment" and "Not for resale" printed on it, which was probably a bad thing considering I don't think any of these were made since the 90's. I popped the battery out, put it in my baby monitor reciever (which wil flash and make an annoying alarm noise if it can't detect a signal from its base unit, which was turned off at the time), turned that on, to behold..... absolutly nothing!!! The battery being dead, I put a fresh one in, plugged the video source (A joystick that plays poker and plugs into the TV), and slapped it into the par port. Ran the software, and sure enough, the video games menu was proudly displayed in the preview window, and I could snapshot whatever I wanted. I then moved it to the Amiga where I plugged it into her par port, via a 5' extension cable (The monitor stand is too close to the computer to fit the whole thing behind the computer without it sliding off the desk otherwise), booted the Amiga, fired up Graffito24's software and navigated the German menus (I took Spanish in high school, thinking it would prove more useful in a country that borders on Mexico, rather than a language that was spoken on the other side of an ocean, not thinking I had an Amiga....) until I found the preview screen, and found alot more of absolutly nothing!!! Thinking the extension cable might be to blame, and at least wanting to narrow that down, I plugged it into the wifes PC, extension cable and all, and it worked fine under windows again. <sigh> So now, I'm using WinUAE on my wifes machine to prevent moving the bloody thing between one machine and the next.. (Both of which are in different rooms) If I get something to work in winUAE, I'll x-fer the software to the 1200, plug in the hardware, and give her a test there. if that works, I'll post up here again on what software I used.

Resized Image
Go to top

Register To Post