Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
176 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 176

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(solved) Send() gives ENOTCONN after Connect() & WaitSelect()... any suggestions?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I'm trying to make Connect() be non-blocking. It seems to work if I use WaitSelect() to wait for ONLY that socket, before calling Send().

But if I wait on several sockets, then Send() _almost_ always gives the ENOTCONN error, which seems to imply that Connect() wasn't ready after all.

It's quite possible there's some stupid bug in my code somewhere (damned it I can see it), but I wondered if anyone was aware of any subtle "gotchas" that I might have overlooked? For example, is it possible for WaitSelect() to indicate an event has arrived for a particular socket, without Connect() actually being ready yet?

edit: And even more annoyingly, if I make it print extra debug info, then suddenly it seems to work. Which seems to suggest some kind of timing issue, although I don't know what.

Edited by ChrisH on 2016/8/7 21:21:40
Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Re: Send() gives ENOTCONN after Connect() & WaitSelect()... any suggestions?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ChrisH

Or possibly it has something to do with socket sharing, se the manual how to enable it.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@LiveForIt
Can you give a little more detail? What do you mean by "socket sharing"?

I tried googling it, but didn't find anything very helpful. There were some mentions of re-using *ports* & even *addresses* (which don't seem useful in this context), but not sharing of "sockets" that I could see.

BTW, I checked, and every waiting socket I have uses a different port (as expected).

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ChrisH
Are you opening the socket in one process and accessing in another?

Sockets are unique to the process they're opened in. It is however possible to make a socket global, with ReleaseSocket and ObtainSocket.

In Jamiga I solved it by starting a new process for each socket, and communicating with the process instead of the socket. If you want I can point you to that code.

Maintainer and developer for Jamiga2 - Java for Amiga
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@jaokim
No, this is one process handling everything.

EDIT: It's starting to look more like a stupid bug (which'll take a lot of work to identify).

Edited by ChrisH on 2016/8/7 19:07:29
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
If you after the WaitSelect for several sockets, perform another WaitSelect on the socket you want - does it return the same thing?

Maintainer and developer for Jamiga2 - Java for Amiga
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ChrisH

Quote:

But if I wait on several sockets, then Send() _almost_ always gives the ENOTCONN error, which seems to imply that Connect() wasn't ready after all.

So how are you checking that the WaitSelect() returned because that particular socket was now ready?

You should be checking the fd_set with FD_ISSET(fd, &write_set).

But also you need to check for a break signal / error ( return of -1 ) particularly as

Quote:

If WaitSelect() returns
with an error, including one due to an interrupted call, the
descriptor sets will be unmodified.

which I guessing could sugest a false positive for any sockest set .

Make sure nfds is set correctly, else false positives may also result there too.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ChrisH

Quote:

EDIT: It's starting to look more like a stupid bug (which'll take a lot of work to identify).

Post your code and we'll be able to help with that (maybe).

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I've found the bug. As is often the case, something was going wrong where I didn't expect it (and so wasn't looking very hard). When trying to wait on multiple sockets, my code never actually called WaitSelect() (doh), and so of course Connect() had usually not finished by then (unless I printed lots of debug stuff). (The bug was in code I'd used for before, without noticing any problem, sigh.)

@jaokim, LiveForIt
Thanks for your suggestions, as they did actually help me indirectly (reassuring me I hadn't overlooked some sockets "gotcha" + jaokim's last suggestion got me thinking from a different angle that led me to trying something that revealed the bug clearer).

edit:
@broadblues
Sorry, didn't see your posts until after I wrote the above.

Edited by ChrisH on 2016/8/8 8:58:32
Go to top

Register To Post