Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
84 user(s) are online (48 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 84

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

VICE keyboard settings
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I have a problem using certain keys under VICE's C64 emulation, for instance I could not figure out how to press the CLR HOME key. Under WinVICE I can use the 'Home' key on the PC keyboard. The keyboard settings under the menu does not bring up any window (I suppose it was not implemented in the Amiga port...) and it seems that the emulator does not use either the positional or symbolic keymap files which are under the C64 directory, I tried to modify those files (e.g. make it type a '2' when the '1' key is pressed just for a test) but it does not make any difference to the emulator.

I tried to add the 'KeymapIndex', 'KeymapSymFile' and 'KeymapPosFile' resources to a file under the C64 directory which contained a few other settings already (don't remember the filename at the moment) but it seems to have made no difference whatsoever.

Does anyone know how to change the keyboard settings of VICE? Also, is it planned to add a keyboard settings GUI to the Amiga port of VICE?

Go to top
Re: VICE keyboard settings
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@COBRA

Hmm, what exactly did you change?

Changing this:

1 7 0 8
2 7 3 8

To this:

2 7 0 8
1 7 3 8

really should make it typ 2 when 1 is pressed (not at home right now, so can't verify it).

I'm not sure if the pos or sym file is used, or both in some weird way, or something. Better change them both

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@AmiDog

Thanks, I'll give it a try. Maybe I only changed the comment, I was really tired when I tried it...

It should use whatever is default and you should be able to override it by specifying the 'KeymapIndex' resources in the resourse file.

Any chance of adding a GUI for the keyboard settings?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@COBRA

A chance, yes, but maybe not a big one The other ports just have a small GUI to select which keyboard mapping file to use, but I've had some plans for a full keyboard mapping GUI. If I get bored/bad weather during my vacation (only one more week of work now, yay) I'll have a go at it...

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@AmiDog

I'd be happy with just the simple little GUI that the other ports have.

By the way I tried modifying one of the keymaps and seems to work. However I was unable to change which keymap file it should use (symbolic or positional), setting 'KeymapIndex' to 1 does not seem to many a difference.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
bump

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@COBRA

Not sure about the home key but if you edit the amiga_pos.vkm file with the following then the insert key can be used instead.

Put a # in front of the 13 6 3 8 line and then remove the # from the 71 -1 -1 0 and change it to 71 6 3 8. You could also lable it as insert -> crl/home as it is blank by default.

You could just change the 13 to 71 but I think it is more orderly this way.

Hope this helps

Arnie.

A1XE G4 800Mhz, 512Mb, Sil0680, ATI9200se 128Mb, Sounblaster Live & Catweazle Mk3 with SID chip +OS4.1.
A4000 233MhzPPC/04025Mhz, 112Mb, CyberPPC, OS3.9
Other Amiga's A4000, A2000 A500+, A500 & various hardware. 15+ other retro machines.
Go to top

Register To Post