Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
89 user(s) are online (48 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 89

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

SFS2 errors on X1000
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi,

I recently turned on my X1000 after not using it for a while, and got SFS errors from my system partition that prevented booting. I get this loop of errors:

1. "This volume tried to access a block outside its partition."
2. "Updating the volume failed due to an unknown error. The errorcode is 99 (free blocks = 0)"
3. "The transaction couldn't be re-applied to the volume because of error 1662623744." (Is there really such an error number?)
4. "Unable to flush all buffers correctly"
5. "Not a DOS disk"

Is there anything I can do to repair the volume, or even copy some of the data off before I reformat it?

I tried booting from CD, but it hangs when the problematic disk is attached. I also tried booting from CD and attaching the disk as a USB disk through a converter, but I get Gurus from the FS and DOS locks up.

Go to top
Re: SFS2 errors on X1000
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@ncafferkey

What kind of disk is it?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ncafferkey

I guess you already checked if the cables are plugged in firmly?
After such a long time the can become loose.

Other than that, I take it it worked before you sent the machine into hibernation?
There is no such thing as nutrition, so I'd blame the hardware.
Worst case is that the HDD died due to an unseen fall/hit or, if it's a mechanical drive, one of the read heads could have crashed due to wearing out.

All are just ideas and the headcrash I suffered myself.

Btw, hardware doesn't like big temperature changes, no matter what the developer says, temp jumps over 20°C, even over a long period of time, will wear out any hardware.

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
It's a Kingston SATA SSD. It's not a connection issue, as I've attached it to a USB converter and other computers since discovering the problem. I was able to take an image of the drive on a Linux PC without any errors being logged, so the drive seems OK for reading at least. But regardless of whether there's a hardware or software/logical/FS fault, my main concern now is to see if I can get useable data off the drive.

I've read that SFS2 doesn't have any recovery tools. Is there anything at all I can do to read files off the drive?

BTW, there definitely seems to be a bug in the filesystem code in that it crashes when attempting to read this volume through USB.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ncafferkey

Did you try the drive directly added to SATA instead of through USB?

It doesnt have to be a file system issue...it could easily be a usb driver issue...at least there were updates to the usb driver, so it may easily be an oversight or a new introduced bug or even an already known, but not yet fixed bug.

The only way to get your data from the drive, as far as ican tell, is to plug it to another amigaos4 machine...or maybe uae, where os3.1 plus sfs should be sufficient.

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
can you access it from UAE and confirm if you still get errors? in linux/mac using fs uae you can connect to it in 'raw' mode by setting the folder target to /dev/disk2 or whatever it shows up as

Go to top

Register To Post