Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
73 user(s) are online (46 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 73

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Possible port of px68k ?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Has anyone ever tried to compile px68k?
It is an opensource SHARP X68000 Emulator availible for various platform

https://github.com/libretro/px68k-libretro

The X68000 was an home computer created by Sharp Corporation, first released in 1987 and pratically sold only in Japan.
Still, it was a very powerfull machine at the time and have a very good collection of games including many arcade perfect conversions

Go to top
Re: Possible port of px68k ?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@samo79

https://www.libretro.com/index.php/mission/

From what I read, you need first libretro, this where all the OS dependency is, then you add the AmigaOS equal of what is BeOS / Unix / Windows has here.

As I read it it’s designed to use share objects, I guess it need to use DLL’s in windows, not sure what the difference are, but it might have some built in flexibility.

«SHARP X68000» is more complex then the Amiga, I guess this might be way no Amiga emulator exists, but AmigaONE is more powerful then a normal Amiga, so maybe.

Basilisk uses UAE CPU core; it does not look like this one does.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@LiveForIt

I've found a version ported by ptitSeb (the same author of our GL4ES wrapper)

It use GLES 1.1 for display (Hardware scaling) but it also uses Texture Streaming

Still to see if it is endian safe too, as probably it could be the most problematic part for an eventual port to OS4

https://github.com/ptitSeb/px68k

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
This computer is the explanation why the Amiga never would has triumphed in Japan.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@samo79

It looks like he not following the guidelines, see the X11 directory, if its port its best to follow the advice, it will make it easier keep it up to date later, I think.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Templario

Quote:
This computer is the explanation why the Amiga never would has triumphed in Japan.

It retailed at the equivalent of $3000 dollars so there was definitely room for a $700 Amiga 500 if Commodore had made a serious push in the Japanese market.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@samo79
Yeaaah! X68000 Emulator on OS4 would be very nice,
an old dream machine of mine.

Never bought the real hardware for my collection, tried the RetroPie version with my Retroflag(Raspberry Pi)Snes, but computers should be emulated on computers with keyboards and mouse! :)

1989-> A500, A600, A3000, A4000, A1200, CD32, µA1, PegII, A1XE, CDTV, Amy/416D79, A1X5000, Vampire 500 V2+, Vampire 600 V2, Amy-ITX, Denise ITX <-2023
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Actually the reasons the Japanese market never had any penetration with Amiga on the desktop are summirizable with the following...

Japanese version of Kickstart Development was never actually completed to a release state (It is only documented *publicly* as part of a DevCon set of release notes as to being *partially* developed)

Shift-JIS was the encoding choice at the time ( approximately the same time as UTF-8 and UTF-16 encodings were developed ( Shift-JIS / EUC-JP and other encodings for Japanese Korean and Chinese are now somewhat of a grey zone between "de facto" viable standards and legacy compatability ~ in the opinions of several local Japanese developers that I have talked with... actual status is indeterminate afaik)

Additionally, developer resources for Japanese Editions of the Kickstart and Workbench software were redirected into other (C= PC-10/PC-20/PC-30...) projects instead...also marking another point of timeframe reference.

This is as far as I can recall right now the internal reasoning as to why AmigaOS never made it into Japan as anything beyond a niche within a niche for non-Windows/non-Mac systems presence.

modern "marketroid speechwriting" and general market penetration of the whole "a PC comes with Windows" mindshare along with an excessively "tech x needs technicians" mindset(ant-like specialization of the group???)
worked against the platform as well.

as for more "modern" reference...
When I have shown my AmigaOS sam440 to local developers (usually when discussing a point pre-agreed on a month or two months in advance ** yes schedules need to planned up to 6 months in advance of anything happening!!!)

I have generally received positive feedback... even with a few people actively voicing feelings of jealousy about how responsive the basic system is.

the main *negative* feedback has mostly been the lack of developer presence, and the reliance on so many split web forums along with the whole 4-way split
(AOS3 "Classicists", AOS4, MOS and AROS... 4 niches within the "Amiga" niche itself... )

Actually living and working in Japan is a mixed blessing for access to the developers here (of which there are not that many !!!)

Go to top

Register To Post