Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
64 user(s) are online (45 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 63

Marcian, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

OS4upd6 integrated AmiUpdate crashes on startu
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi! The new OS4 update 6 integrates AmiUpdate into the OS. In my system, however, choosing 'Update software' from the Workbench menu crashes even if I reboot:

http://crashlog.os4depot.net/cl356

System: AmigaOne X1000 with pre-installed OS4upd5 and now installed the upd6.
Before updating to update6, I had AmiUpdate 2.22 installed already.

Marko

Go to top
Re: OS4upd6 integrated AmiUpdate crashes on startu
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
It looks suspiciously like AmiUpdate cannot find it's icon. Have a look and see if it is present in SYS:System/AmiUpdate.

Simon

Comments made in any post are personal opinion, and are in no-way representative of any commercial entity unless specifically stated as such.
----
http://codebench.co.uk
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
You were right, there was no AmiUpdate drawer icon. I added it from the update 6 distribution. AmiUpdate of update 6 is startable from it's icon, but when checking for updates, it asks username and password for OS updates. The 3rd party application part works ok. However, after closing Amiupdate and selecting 'Update Software' from the Workbench menu I get the crash in the same location again! So it was not the icon after all... Could there be something in the install script? My old AmiUpdate 2.22 install was not in the System drawer but in a different partition.

Marko

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
Well, according to the crashlog, it looks like AmiUpdate is trying to put an appicon on the workbench when the crash happens. So either it's not finding the program icon, or something strange is going on. Either way, open the prefs and try setting it to iconify to menu instead.

If that cures the problem, then I'm stumped if the icon exists.

Simon

Comments made in any post are personal opinion, and are in no-way representative of any commercial entity unless specifically stated as such.
----
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I just tried this.

I modified my prefs to start iconified as AppIcon (previously they were as AppDocky) and when started from workbench the AmiUpdate process crashes with stack trace pointing to icon.library

No crash occurs for AppDocky or AppMenu

The DSI can be ignored but no AppIcon is placed on the Woekbench, then on the next invoction of AmiUpdate via the menu, the program opens (I suppose it was "invisibly iconified" )

All Icons are present

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
There seems to have sneaked in a bug.

I posted over at the Hyperion forums about a similar behaviour, no crash though.

For me invoking an already running AmiUpdate through the pull down menu (Update software) will on close/iconify not bring back the amidock docky icon.

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I get the crash only when using Amiupdate as iconified on Workbench-setting, not with either AppMenu or Docky. Using Snoopy I find that AmiUpdate tries to read DH0:AmiUpdate.info, which fails because the icon is stored in SYS:System/AmiUpdate/ drawer. But it doesn't crash at that point. Added Snoopy Output to crashlog, link in the begininning of this thread.

Marko

Marko Raina
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
This should be fixed in 2.23.

Simon

----
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Installed 2.23

The problem with the disappearing and not reappearing Docky icon is still there

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Rigo

The 2.23 seems to work better: no crash anymore. But if using 'as AppIcon', the AppIcon won't appear on Workbench but winbar.docky and AppManager utility both find AmiUpdate and its' window is openable through these applications. Snoopy still tells that AmiUpdate icon is searched from DH0:, which in my machine is the same as SYS:

But the icon resides in SYS:System/AmiUpdate/

Marko

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
With version 2.23 the crash when AmiUpdate can't find it's icon is resolved.
However if you launch amiupdate from shell other than in it's own directory the appicon is still not displayed on the WB

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
This should be really fixed for 2.24. If the icon still cannot be found, it will fallback to an AppMenu item instead.

Simon

----
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Rigo

Confirming, in version 2.24 I get the AppIcon to Workbench. Also when starting from the shell and from a different directory, works for me! Thanks!

Marko

Marko Raina
Go to top

Register To Post