Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
145 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 143

smf, sailor, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Help getting online with Prism2 and 3CRDW696
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information

Hi there

I have a micro Amiga one with a 3cdrw696 pci wireless card installed, running OS 4.1. I've not had a problem using the computer via ethernet, however i'm wanting to relocate the computer and finally make use of the wireless card installed. I've only ever used wifi on an A1200, using MiamiDX.

Unlike on the A1200 where you simply clicked "online" with Miami, there's no such function in OS 4.1 with my amiga one. I understand that the wirelessmanager command inserted in the startup sequence does this for you.

Has anyone had any joy getting online? I've tested various network setups with WEP,WPA and WPA2 and none of them result in the Amiga connecting.

Many Thanks

Go to top
Re: Help getting online with Prism2 and 3CRDW696
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I've never used a wireless card, but have used another option, which is a wireless access point to ethernet adapter.

I've not used this particular model, but have used other ones like it:
ADAPTER

Sam460 : X1000 : X5000
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I can help you out. Have you updated the firmware on the card, using a PC? That's required if you're wanting to use WPA or WPA2.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Ji sorry for late reply, but must admit no as far as i am aware the card must be standard.As soon as poss i will give the idea a try to update it. thsnk lets hope it works

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
damn sticky keys sry for bad spelling

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Just removed the card for updating, can you direct me to where the new firmware can be found? I've flashed PCMCIA cards before, to get A1200's online. I've never done PCI.

Can you also confirm something for me please. Aside from the command you insert in to the Startup sequence. Is there anything else i need to do, for the machine to use the wireless? Such as set it up WB? I know there's a control panel in prefs for setting up your network devices.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

amechanic wrote:
Just removed the card for updating, can you direct me to where the new firmware can be found?

Check the prism2 documentation. I'm not certain whether the most recent prism2 driver works on WEP unless the card is updated. I'll ask.

Edit: Apparently WEP works on the v2 driver without a firmware update.

You could try the older prism2 driver which is still on Aminet (and after it setting it up, if you have a sam, replace it with my build on OS4Depot).

Keep in mind the older driver (1.7) works differently than thew newer one (2.4). The older one just requires one line in the startup-sequence. The newer one uses a wpa_supplicant config file (which I believe the install script makes: env(arc):wireless.prefs).

Also note that if you use WEP and the older driver, then it expects a HEX key, not an ASCII passphrase.

Quote:
Is there anything else i need to do, for the machine to use the wireless?

Yes, you need to go into SYS:Prefs/Internet

Go to Interfaces and click "New".

Name: PRISM2 (can be anything)
Device driver: DEVS:Networks/prism2.device
Device type: Ethernet (this isn't configurable)
Unit/Port: 0

For the best chance of working, use a static IP address (I personally use dynamic), and set up your subnet mask (likely 255.255.255.0) and LAN IP.

If you use a static IP setup, then you need to also set up your default gateway address and name servers.

Enter the default gateway IP in "Routes" at the bottom where it says "Default Gateway Address", then go to "Name Resolution" click "New" and type in the DNS server you want to use.

If you use dynamic instead of static, then you don't need to set up the default gateway or DNS nameservers.

Also keep in mind that if there's too little time between the startup-sequence command and the Workbench being booted, then Roadshow will try to connect to the internet before the card is ready, so put the startup-sequence command early, or add a delay.

Edited by MickJT on 2012/7/19 1:59:31
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@logicalheart
Quote:
I've not used this particular model, but have used other ones like it: ADAPTER

I used that Netgear wireless adapter for almost a year. You just plug it into your ethernet port, reboot, open the builtin html interface, scan for your router SSID and enter your password. Once it connects you can move it from one computer to another and it will still connect. It comes with a USB cable to connect to a USB port (for power) so that it automatically turns on when you turn on your computer.

I recently switched to Netgear's newer WNCE3001 which is dual-band and gives you more channel options if you have a dual-band wireless router. However, the WNCE2001 has better indicator lights that let you know at a glance if your computer is properly connected to the device and if it has a good wireless connection. The adapters have builtin DHCP servers that turn off once you're connected to the router and turn DHCP over to the router for final network address assignments. I'm not sure how such adapters would work with manual network configuration

Amiga X1000 with 2GB memory & OS 4.1FE + Radeon HD 5450

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi there

I've been messing with the card today and i've not had much success, even with WEP. I'm using the Prism2v2 archieve from Aminet. I've installed it how it tells you to in the manual, with the command for wirelessmanger here on the startup >

;Run <>NIL: C:wirelessmanager prism2.device
C:AddNetInterface QUIET DEVS:NetInterfaces/~(#?.info)

As my home network uses WPA2 and all my devices are set for this, I want the A1 to run on WPA2. I've successfully flashed PCMCIA netgear cards for my A1200's, both get online via WPA2 without a hitch.

I tried following the same process on the A1 as I had with the A1200's and the result is the machine boots but no internet. I tried running "wirelessmanger prism2.device" from the Shell and it just sat there.

While i've used amiga's for years, its only been recently that I've began venturing in to zorro cards and PCI cards on Amiga's. Configuring them isn't quite as straight forward as Winblows or Linux :P Tho getting my A3000 online with a X-surf wasn't as hard as i thought lol

I did try the card in a Win XP system which installed it fine, it would not however connect to my network, it didn't even see it! So i'm guessing this card will need flashing. The manual inside the Prism2v2 LHA doesn't mention where or how your flash the card.

I did try using the same software I used for the netgear cards, however the Winupdate software reported and error and I didn't want to brick the PCI card.

Really appreciate the help guys, hopefully get this wee beastie online.

Oh btw I have managed to get the A1 online using a Tenda W300M, which is how i'm managing to type a reply on the A1 and not the PC ;). So at least I've managed one way of getting online without a long cable running across the landing. Still, I'd like to use the PCI card in the Mig for the purpose it was intended for.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Quote:

amechanic wrote:
Hi there

I've been messing with the card today and i've not had much success, even with WEP. I'm using the Prism2v2 archieve from Aminet. I've installed it how it tells you to in the manual, with the command for wirelessmanger here on the startup >

;Run <>NIL: C:wirelessmanager prism2.device
C:AddNetInterface QUIET DEVS:NetInterfaces/~(#?.info)

Why is the wirelessmanager line commented out? It won't work without it!

This is the Prism2 firmware page:
http://linux.junsun.net/intersil-prism/

I use v1.8.2 with my 3Com (same model as yours I think), others have said 1.7.4 is the best one to use but I've had no problems whatsoever with 1.8.2.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Please ignore that, I did that after having spent several hours trying to get it working to no avail. Will enabled it again when I start back on it tomorrow. For now its running via ethernet.

Enabled or not, it doesn't seem to work.

I'm familiar with that site, I used 1.7.2 on my pcmcia cards. However I tried flashing the same fw to flash the 3com PCI card and winupdate threw up a few errors.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Quote:

amechanic wrote:
I'm familiar with that site, I used 1.7.2 on my pcmcia cards. However I tried flashing the same fw to flash the 3com PCI card and winupdate threw up a few errors.

I think these are the files I used: http://linux.junsun.net/intersil-prism/firmware/1.8.2/

As I'm sure you're aware, the hardware type letter is important, and it's highly likely your PCMCIA card is a different hardware type - if you're using exactly the same firmware files as you did previously, that would explain the error messages.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Cheers Chris, I'm sure this is a stupid question to ask. How do you work out the hardware letter?

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Quote:

amechanic wrote:
Cheers Chris, I'm sure this is a stupid question to ask. How do you work out the hardware letter?

Good question. Try this table (the component ID is also the PCI device ID). Otherwise, I think there's a menu in the update utility which will tell you. Or you can do a Google search like I did and just use the same hardware names (http://linux.junsun.net/intersil-pris ... C-2100G-3Com-3CRDW696.txt)

The hardware letter is the second letter of the filename. You need to flash pk and sf files together (I'm sure you know this anyway if you did your PCMCIA)

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

amechanic wrote:
I tried following the same process on the A1 as I had with the A1200's and the result is the machine boots but no internet. I tried running "wirelessmanger prism2.device" from the Shell and it just sat there.

I assume this was an attempt to use WEP mode, and you set your router to WEP mode during this experiment. But if you want more information from WirelessManager, use the VERBOSE option.

Quote:

I did try the card in a Win XP system which installed it fine, it would not however connect to my network, it didn't even see it! So i'm guessing this card will need flashing.

No need to guess. The Windows reflashing utility will tell you the current firmware (which also tells you the letters that your firmware files need to start with).

Quote:

The manual inside the Prism2v2 LHA doesn't mention where or how your flash the card.

Lies! It includes this paragraph:

"Instructions on reflashing the firmware, and the required firmware files, can be found at http://linux.junsun.net/intersil-prism/"

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I will put the card back in the PC and report back

Quote:

ncafferkey wrote:
Quote:

amechanic wrote:

I assume this was an attempt to use WEP mode, and you set your router to WEP mode during this experiment. But if you want more information from WirelessManager, use the VERBOSE option.

Quote:

I did try the card in a Win XP system which installed it fine, it would not however connect to my network, it didn't even see it! So i'm guessing this card will need flashing.

No need to guess. The Windows reflashing utility will tell you the current firmware (which also tells you the letters that your firmware files need to start with).

Quote:

The manual inside the Prism2v2 LHA doesn't mention where or how your flash the card.

Lies! It includes this paragraph:

"Instructions on reflashing the firmware, and the required firmware files, can be found at http://linux.junsun.net/intersil-prism/"

Go to top

Register To Post