Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
148 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 147

Georg, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Sam test required: WordNet in RAM
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hello,

We've had this discussion over at aw.net about RAM Disk speed. I remembered that when I worked on the WordNet dictionary, the word search (= data access) was noticeably slower when the entire installation was in RAM - compared to a normal installation on the HD. (Whereas the opposite should be true, I'd expect WordNet to search faster when in RAM.)

I never really thought of checking why, and cannot test now because my Sam is broken. Could some of you Sam users try installing WordNet both on the disk and in RAM, and see how the search performs there? And, should you also find that the RAM installation runs slower, do some Snoopy test to see what the program actually does, how it accesses the word database?

Thanks a lot.

Edited by trixie on 2012/2/14 12:45:26
The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Re: Sam test required: WordNet in RAM
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Which sam model?

Go to top
Re: Sam test required: WordNet in RAM
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Sam400ep, but I'd also like to hear how it behaves on the other Sam models: the 440ep-Flex and the 460ex.

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top

Register To Post