Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
153 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 153

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
Thinking of selling my sam440ep?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi all im thinking of selling my sam440ep as i rarely use it now and was wondering what i would get for it if i was to sell. I was hoping that i could use it for new games but there only seems to be users making games (not that its a bad thing as there is some awesome games out there from users) and not big name companys as that is what i was hoping for.so if you could give me a guestimate for what i would get i would be grateful. :)

Sam440EP Board inside a black miniATX case,with a 300 Watt PSU, 320 gb Hdd,Black Dvd RW Drive,And obviously An Original copy of AmigaOS 4.1 in the original box with manual.

Go to top
Re: Thinking of selling my sam440ep?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I had my for sale a few months ago (on ebay and some Amiga sites) - Sam flex 800 Mhz. I think the price was around £400 (ex shipping from Denmark) - I had no inqueries for it...

So I don't think you can get much for it - I chose to keep mine.

Editor at www.bigbookofamigahardware.com and collector: A4000/040, A4000/030, A600, 3 x A500, 1xA500 plus, A2000, A1200, A1200/ACA030, A1200/1230@50/32mb, A1200/1230@50/32mb, A1200/1220/4mb, A1200/1220/8mb. 3 x...
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Big name companies? That was yesterday, unfortunately, my friend.

AmiBoing on the other hand had released nice games, simple but quite addictive in regards of gameplay.

Selling this setup, I would say a price of around EUR 250-350. I sold mine Sam440Flex 800MHz system around EUR 500. Hope that helps.

To Be A True Adventurer, You Ought To Play Real Text Adventures
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@carvedeye Quote:
I was hoping that i could use it for new games

For what it's worth, I'm expecting more (2D & 3D) game ports after AmigaOS4.2 is released (whenever that may be), as it is suppose to have Gallium3D+Mesa - which should make it possible (and easier) to port more modern OpenGL-based games.

OTOH, Gallium3D is likely to require a vaguely modern graphics card (like a Radeon 4650), and those may be hard to get hold of with a PCI (not PCI-Express) connector. Also, I guess the Sam440 is a bit limited in the CPU department, and was never really intended for gaming (even if it handles Quake 2 well, and Quake 3 is kinda playable against just bots).

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
2D gaming with OpenBOR (WIP):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SceytcX3xao

Editor at www.bigbookofamigahardware.com and collector: A4000/040, A4000/030, A600, 3 x A500, 1xA500 plus, A2000, A1200, A1200/ACA030, A1200/1230@50/32mb, A1200/1230@50/32mb, A1200/1220/4mb, A1200/1220/8mb. 3 x...
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@bitman

That looks awesome :)

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Other OpenBOR games - that probably could be running on Amiga:

OpenBor game videos

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
The big companies now only work for console games, Windos and mobil phones.
Do you see big game companies in Linux, Haiku and ReactOS, for example?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Templario

True, never thought of it that way. :)

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

Templario wrote:
The big companies now only work for console games, Windos and mobil phones.
Do you see big game companies in Linux, Haiku and ReactOS, for example?

At least there are some companies, like RuneSoft for example, which they port some good-selected games from Windows to Linux, providing a commercial release with DVD-case, manual (all that stuff).

RuneSoft, if I remember correctly was Epic Interactive, they ported some PC games back in the day. Also RuneSoft ported some games for MorphOS too, like Robin Hood, but I think that they've abandoned MorphOS and AmigaOS quite a few years now.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Phantom

In this case you don't forget Hyperion and Freespace 1 and 2.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@carvedeye

And we have good porters, Huno PPC, and other little programmers....... as me for example.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

Templario wrote:
@carvedeye

And we have good porters, Huno PPC, and other little programmers....... as me for example.

Hey, can you do me a favour my friend? You're programming in Hollywood. Can you compile your 3D sex-game for AmigaOS 3.x to check it with my Haitex 3D Glasses?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Phantom

Yes, Phantom I can, only that in Amiga OS 3.x under emulation will run slow and you need graphic card mode to run even under WinUAE, and only I need your mail address because I lost it.
I got it.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I will test it in both my A1200 and A4000 machine. Check your PM.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Worth mentioning that the relatively modern Aquaria was ported to AmigaOS4 (and can currently be bought for very little from here). The OS4 version is free, but requires the data files from commercial the Windows/Mac/Linux version.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ChrisH

I tried that but it ran really slow as do most of the games ive tried. :(

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@carvedeye Quote:
I tried that but it ran really slow as do most of the games ive tried. :(

Did you read the instructions? It says to disable Compositing & switch to 16-bit Workbench screen if you have limited video memory (like the Sam440 does). Without doing that it was VERY slow, but after doing that it was really quite nice & smooth.

But in general, my experience is:

Ports of 3D games on the Sam440 tend to not run so well, I *think* often due to a lack of video memory. A 128MB Radeon 9250 PCI would probably solve that, but disabling Compositing & switching to 16-bit Workbench might help in some cases (I'm not really a gamer, so I haven't bothered experimenting).

On the other hand, ports of 2D games (in general!) run fairly well. But if they use OpenGL/MiniGL then they may have problems above about 800x600 unless you do something to reduce video memory usage (as mentioned for 3D).

But I found lots of games which run nicely without any messing with video memory usage. e.g. Payback (an original 3D Amiga game), Freespace, Quake 2 (recommend Capehill's port but Hyperion released an improved commercial port more recently), Quake 1 (!), PrBoom (a version of Doom using OpenGL), DoomAttack (an advanced 68k version of Doom which happens to run quite nicely on OS4 with the right settings), BOH (original 2D Amiga game), Myst (old commercial Amigga port), Open Sonic (very nice port of a 2D game using Sonic graphics), Cadog Adventures (2D OpenGl game runs nicely up to 800x600), Crossfire 2 (low-res 2D Amiga game but seems very well done), and Abuse (port of a 2D shoot-em'up, runs VERY nicely). There are probably loads more out there to find, but I'm not a gamer as I said. There are also loads of old classic Amiga games that run well using RunInUAE, if you like that sort of thing.

edit: GlQuake used to be rubbish (and with bad lighting), but I see that it was updated earlier this year. Might be worth trying again.

Perhaps you should start a thread asking about a particular game? If it's not too late?

Edited by ChrisH on 2011/12/5 20:14:40
Edited by ChrisH on 2011/12/5 20:22:04
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@carvedeye

If you can find a second-hand Pegasos II G4 machine, you'll see great difference in performance in all levels. It's the best system you can get for AmigaOS 4.x, since X1000 isn't available officially.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@phantom

I'd rather go for the sam460ex.

X5000
Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »