Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
141 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 141

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Scripting languages, arexx Gui4Cli, MuiBase?, scripit
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
A discussion was started about arexx, Gui4Cli as scripting languages

http://www.amigans.net/modules/newbb/ ... hp?topic_id=4355&forum=25

This thread wants to broaden the scope to a discussion about scripting languages

0. old faithfull arexx

1. Gui4Cli

I was hoping Gui4Cli (abbreviated to G4 hereafter) would be taken up as scriptlanguage. It is far more easy to make a Gui driven application than arexx.
It is a grand language to start learning to program, to test concepts , do early prototyping , build interfaces to existing programs having an arexx port or shell commands with complicated templates (there is a Gui4Cli script doing this automatically)
The different ways in which running G4 scripts (which can be called G4 gui's after their major distinctive characteristic) can interact make its strength: namespace permit to address gui specific
variables as ThatGui/ThatVariable, subroutines of other (also of background) scripts (without a gui, or of which the gui was closed) can be adressed too. You can load those scripts when needed.
This makes using Gui4Cl as a main language a full bottom up driven programming adventure.
Mine was (inspired by talks about 'content' on pda's iphones and the like to have a functional graphical system interface with the smallest footprint. ( I dropped Dopus Magellan in favor of Gui4Cli)

I think it is also great to make a set of standard tests for OS development.

Others were pleading for Gui4Cli too:
http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/amiga/34520 Gui4Cli_praise_John_Chandler
The source is available and i have made some functional improvements, but, due to lack of any feedback or interest my motivation was rather low these days.
angelheart encouraged me to go on with it
http://www.amigans.net/modules/newbb/ ... hp?topic_id=4355&forum=25
Therfor i'll start commenting on G4's situation and my possibilities)
You will find the essential links at
More info on http://users.online.be/AD/

This includes the 3.8.5 documentation http://users.online.be/AD/Gui4Cli_.guide and downloadable examples. Screengrabs of OWB_.gc are to be found at the L, M and S links for this gui (next to the Readme link)
(Don't miss to download the 'essentials' notably the 3.8 and 3.8.5 archive if you want to appreciate Gui4Cli )
Visit the author's (Dimitris Keletsekis) site (Amiga part) http://gui4cli.com/ami/gcmain.htm and its Gallery.

You will also not the "gcview package", which expands the graphics manipulation possibilities of Gui4CLi. This package does not work under UAE or Amithlon or OS4.
If someone would care to look at the source and make it work that would be great, because it probably chokes on parts where i still have problems with the Gui4Cli source.
Now about this latter source(s):
- originally the source made available by D.Keletsekis written with SAS C did not work. I made it work and improved some minor functionality.
- The source was then transformed to gcc and compiled under gcc
- Then the source was adapted to OS4 and compiled successfully too.
Ideally i would have to make all this one one source and get more smarter with the handling of debugging instructions (that i now just comment out)
All this was only possible with the help of experienced C programmers.

The OS4 source cannot handle background graphics and images and the xPIPE event does not work either.
I have noted lots of ideas about improving the functionality and the windows version (continued since D Keletsekis left the Amiga) can be a source of inspiration..
All this needs time and i am close to my 73'th birthday. I have work to do that is presently more urgent to me, at least till december. If someone in the mean time could make gcview work under OS4, UAE, ... that would be fantastic. Please let me know if you want to do it: There is a small change in the API.

2. Python

Python is available as a scripting language under OS3 and is part of the OS4 distribution.
Apart of an ASL module however no gui related possibilities (maybe under Cygnix)
Hopefully this will change soon.
The traditional 'loop' for checking gadget actions, the often compact nature of python, are to be taken into account.

I have demonstrated how you can add python scripts to a Gui4CLi gui

3. MuiBase
Works under Windows, Mac, Linux, Amiga68k - AOS4 compatibility is maintained (allthough not native) , AROS

I was actively suggesting tot th author a few years ago to add more system oriented functionality, which could make this a first class scripting language.
A few months ago the author Steffen Guttmann mentioned those suggestions again. I don't know where the program stands nowadays.

4. Scripit

Scripit is a program written by Khaled Aldoseiri who did work for Softwood, Inc. where he developed FinalCalc. It is one of those gems that made the Amiga an Amiga.

This program permits to send mouse clicks or text to any application lacking an extensive arexx port.
It worked well under Amithlon and WinUAE. It does not under OS4.
Alas the source is not available and my efforts to contact the author all failed.

What is lost is best described from Scripit's doc:

"Scripit's commands control other programs by manipulating their menus, gadgets windows, and screens. The programs being controlled do not need any special ports as all the messages they receive are simulated Intuition messages. In fact, the programs don't even recognize that it isn't Intuition talking to them!"

"Scripit is a not a language in the normal sense of computer languages.
It is, instead, a script language that allows the user to automate actions he/she would normally have to do manually. (although Scripit goes far beyond that) Scripit can do anything the user can do manually by either the mouse or keyboard by using a set of commands that instruct Scripit to simulate specific mouse or keyboard actions.

The major concept in Scripit is that of a 'selected window.' As you know, the Amiga's user interface consists of windows (which reside on one or more screens.) These windows can be moved or resized, pushed to the front or back, and are used to get user input via the keyboard or mouse in the form of menu selections, boolean gadgets (clicks), string gadgets (text input), proportional gadgets (slider moves), mouse movements, mouse clicks, and keyboard actions. Scripit can simulate all of those in order to automate actions."

Since the Workbench arexx port till now does only adddress directory windows and that even a lot of programs (eg Find, Unarc) have no arexx port, we lost a lot in the field of automating & workflow.

Rewriting Scripit is way out of my possibilities. However it would be a quick fix to all this SW lacking an arexx port. Why not take it up in a bounty scheme?

Go to top

Register To Post