Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
41 user(s) are online (28 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 41

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 3 4 ... 8 »
Anonymous
Simple wishlist for next AmigaOS
Major:

- Java
- Flash
- Hardware OpenGL support for Radeon cards
- Dual core/XMOS support for X1000 owners

Minor:

- More hardware accelerated and optimized OS for Radeon 9000 and HD, G3,G4,and EP440/460 CPUs

- Bundled Timberwolf and OpenOffice for Kids as free and basic productivity tools

- MUI4 native to catch up with MOS and improve
MUI look

- RadeonHD and more GFX cards drivers (NVidia, Matrox)

- Sound card drivers that support DSP chips and advanced features (ASYNCIO?)

- USB Scanner and Laser printer drivers (HP, Cannon)

- Boot up time optimization (user edits of startup sequence proved it possible)

- Full FAT32 and NTFS read/write support for removable devices and hard drives

- Improved JXFS and Amiga File Systems, smart write (self defragmentation) feature to oprimize hard drive acess

- Memory managment and flushing optimization, further virtual memory improvements

- InstallerNG, Glue U-UAE with KS 1.3 and KS 3.1/CD32 for full OS 3.x compatibility built in

Go to top
Anonymous
Re: Simple wishlist for next AmigaOS

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@vox

Quote:
- Java
- Flash

They are (both) not related to OS4, Flash is already availible via Gnash altrought isn't usable cause it's slow

Quote:
- Bundled Timberwolf and OpenOffice for Kids as free and basic productivity tools

This would be possible only when programs are done to be bundled

Quote:
- MUI4 native to catch up with MOS and improve
MUI look

Uh ?
What's wrong with the actual look ?

If you (only) mean about porting MUI4 instead of MUI 3.9 i'm with you, altrough you must consider that all depends of Struntz decision.

BTW having MUI4 or not, keep in mind the our official UI is Reaction based.

If you prefer a MUI look there is MorphOS

Quote:
- Memory managment and flushing optimization, further virtual memory improvements

I think they already working on it

Quote:
- InstallerNG, Glue U-UAE with KS 1.3 and KS 3.1/CD32 for full OS 3.x compatibility built in

Built-in installer is perfectly to me, I don't understand what you need for a simple installer ...

For emulation (as contribution) maybe Hyperion can bundle RunInUAE, would be nice

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
For me in general everything fine more or less, except crappy opengl-over-warp3d. I have of course some wishlist like "will be cool to have WB in develop more, will be cool to have prefs organized better, will be cool to have some visual modern effects for amidock when you browse over it , will be cool to have GDB working normally" and so on, but that all not so matter as matter _normal_ (i not say very good, just not so bad as it now) - opengl.

On morphos opengl (tinygl) are good. On AROS already mesa with gallium integrated, but on aos4 which real amigaos, we have the worse framerates even if compare just with morphos on the same hardware (i not say about win32 drivers). Really sad.

I in really and big hope that Hanz will finish all his hard work with it, and it will be better than the current realisation. Its just should be :)

Related to InstallerNG i do not know from what coming all that fuzz, because the default on from os4.1 , are good, stable and works as should for all the programs which i test.

Realted to UAE integration: for me the better choice its saimo's GLUAE. There is only 2 scripts, which are configs in general. And you just press on icon, and game runs. With exactly neeed it scren size, and so on.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Anonymous
@samo79

Java
- Flash

They are (both) not related to OS4, Flash is already availible via Gnash altrought isn't usable cause it's slow

Yes, but they are eseential for Internet use, as well as Java would enable Java written apps to be avail.

I`m meaning full Java and Flash, and it would be nice to have OS that is out of box bundled with it, unlike Windows

Quote:

This would be possible only when programs are done to be bundled

Again, yes, I am thinking 2011 and afterwards,
but having OS with bundled productivity apps, which today is only Linux would be nice

If you (only) mean about porting MUI4 instead of MUI 3.9 i'm with you, altrough you must consider that all depends of Struntz decision.

BTW having MUI4 or not, keep in mind the our official UI is Reaction based.

I know Reaction is default, but MUI is still a lot used.
Nothing wrong with dual GUI

If you prefer a MUI look there is MorphOS

I know, but only old slow Classic PPC or Pegasos can run both, and both machines are unavail.

For emulation (as contribution) maybe Hyperion can bundle RunInUAE, would be nice

Yes, lets make OS 4 Amiga compatibile.

Its not that impossible, and I believe would make OS4 to be considered both advanced and in Amiga tradition.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@vox

first off, thanks for the thread! although i'm sure the fine folks at hyperion are aware of what 'remains to be done' for OS4, it's always good to get an idea of what users are actually looking for rather than perceived user wants so long as the requests are respectful and meant as constructive.

@thread

among the features i feel need attention -- having come from outside the amiga community completely -- are the following in my order of importance:

1. memory protection -- this above all else!
2. much better openGL support; improved 3D performance
3. USB 2.0 device support
4. transition to a more modern printing backend to support newer printers/scanners; more intuitive printer setup utility
5. support for NTFS (and ext2, if possible)
6. rework preferences (consolidate, remove, focus on UI, etc.)

additionally, the following would be very helpful, but not related to the OS4 product <i>per se</i>:

1. an OS4 website, including links to popular apps
2. a well-written manual
3. completion and bundling of timberwolf or further funding/development for OWB

these last three are something very important to new-to-amiga people and potentially new-to-amiga folks such as myself. although flash and java are commonly mentioned, neither seems terribly necessary to me. of the two flash seems more important for typical consumers, but with transitions to WebM planned by major content providers, the need for flash video will wane over time.

-- eliyahu

Go to top
Anonymous
@kas1e

So I got it right OpenGL is one of the major things.

Nice you have some minor ideas,
you are right, installer thing seemed to be not so important, but I meant overall OS 3.x workbench software compatibility improved, as it seems some old apps will still be used - with Petunia, only some chipset (CIA+AGA+Sound) calls needs to be redirected, I hope some sort of driver. NallePuh and CIA agent improved it, but would be nice to have it official.

E-UAE is nice, but again its emulating complete box, while you already have PPC rewritten OS components and Petunia. Why do I believe backward compatibility step would be nice?

Mostly because there are no PPC heavyweight apps and because its best way to explain that "that is Amiga" to old Amiga users, like CBM USA is trying with AROS and WinUAE

However, some minor list would be nice to compile and give some user created wish list.

I also believe DRIVERS are major issue, what is the point of transition to PCI/PCI-E/USB from Zorro and chipsets (chipset independence) when you can stick just few cards?

I understand no manifacturer will write drivers, but c`mon people can hardly scan and print and have to take a careful pick of GFX or sound card

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@eliyahu
Yep, imho you write everything right

@vox
Yep, opengl realisation at all works, and works without bugs, but speed are slow. That is the only real problem: speed. Morphos's TinyGL on the same peg2 (i tested it myself) faster exactly in 2 times. I.e. if you have on morphos in some game/app 30fps, then on current aos4 on the same hardware you will have only 15fps. I.e. in twice slow.

Why i compare all the time with morphos - because its almost the same from core point of view : so, aos4 100% can have the same speed (if not faster, because for morphos currently TCL also in SW mode, and if aos4 new drivers will have TCL in HW too, then it can be even faster in compare with morphos ones). But as i know, morphos-dev team works right now on new version of tinigl, where will be HW TCL, so, because of simplicifity, and after it will be done, maybe it will again a bit faster that new aos4 drivers (but that pure speculation, we will see of course).

From other side morphos's drivers will not have magically "shaders" support, but writing shader language from scratch for driver it of course possible, but its hard work like wriing JIT or kind. So, after all, we on aos4 will have shaders support (because of mesa) => all the very modern and latest games and apps.

About UAE : i do not know why everyone so happy by RunInUAE, for me Saimo's GLUAE are better. Because you need to setup only 2 scripts, and nextly you can configure your games as you want. Of course its not so easy for newbes in UAE (you need to know how setup UAE and what mean few field in config file), but from other side you can setup game/demo as you want. Make it with right border canvases (without black borders) and so on.

For example, check how possible to setup EUAE on aos4 with GLUAE scripts , and how fast (and playable/enjoanable) it works (uae itself) even on 1ghz of cpu on my peg2 , with "right" settings.

There is video

And in terms good/bad software: dunno , only what i like from os3, its dopus4 :) And its native for os4 already. Other soft which i use everyday - os4 native too. Dunno what 68k soft i _really_ need today. I mean _really_ (because all that cool soft from the past, mostly for the past).

And for sure, newbes not want and not need any 68k soft. But only because of newbes platform will growup.

So, i am up by 2 hands for the working on the os4 itself without thinking about support of 68k. Of course if time will give such ability - will be cool to have and that too, and some code to emulate chipsets without UAE, but if not - then better to concetrate on the OS4 itself (opengl + more stuff in the WB , USB2 , new shell, eye-candy for amidock, etc).

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Anonymous
@eliyahu

Glad most of people are thinking about the say.

OS 4.1.2 is nice cornerstone, and just another level push can make very usable (and commercialy viable) OS to compete, so yes ...

Thanks for mentioning EXT2, since Linux is booted on same machine, that must be done. Currently some 68k Aminet aminet workaround must be applied just to read it.

USB 2.0 support is also a shame, not only because MOS does it, but because all current OS 4 boards are USB2 so AmigaOS is the limitator.

I hope at the end, list could be compiled and send to Hyperion in both major and minor list. Its good to have a note, altough as you say, they are probably aware of the gaps.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@eliyahu

additionally, the following would be very helpful, but not related to the OS4 product <i>per se</i>:

1. an OS4 website, including links to popular apps
2. a well-written manual
3. completion and bundling of timberwolf or further funding/development for OWB

these last three are something very important to new-to-amiga people and potentially new-to-amiga folks such as myself. although flash and java are commonly mentioned, neither seems terribly necessary to me. of the two flash seems more important for typical consumers, but with transitions to WebM planned by major content providers, the need for flash video will wane over time.

----

Can't agree more, especially on your point about Flash. Not sure how Gnash was possible, isn't Flash closed-source? Maybe wishful thinking, but I can imagine Adobe releasing the source-code one day. Adobe are in a very difficult position at the moment, Flash is world-renowned for being slow and lacking in the acceleration department - I one for fully support Apple's decision not to allow it on any of their 'mobile' devices.

On YouTube I always use HTML5 video playback for example, although there are many visible bugs even in Safari!

Certainly a lot of changes afoot in how 'content' is being delivered across the internet.

Go to top
Anonymous
@djrikki

Both Java and Flash are more then Internet related contents and are de facto standards. They are both closed source, but does not mean that some sort of agreement or paying cannot be done. And it is quite essential, no tools can replace full Java or Flash.

I would say e.g. that U would agree to lets say 10 euros more for OS, if it contained it, since it enables a lot of usability.

However, free Java exists

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Jav ... ementations#Class_library

As well as partial Flash implementation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Scr ... oject#Open_Screen_Project

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e

On the PC the installation of AmigaForever and Amikit is simple and you have a full screen for using AOS3.9 or 3.5 ...
In fact permitting you to test any SW easily for all Amigal OS's ?and variants.

I still did not succeed in getting E-UAE doing anything close to this.
So i would welcome such possibility under AOS4 very highly

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@JosDuchIt

I specially not setup full-screen, because i like windowses. In full screen it will be even a bit faster. Also SDL version of EUEA have just key combo for swith beetwen window and full-screen (i.e. that is no problem of course). Anyway, for me personally all that oldshcool stuff make no sense anymore. Just a few games/demos one time in few months :)

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e

I have installed e-UAe a time ago together with runinUAE
I don'tknow if it is a SDL version. So i wanted to verify this

I used to be able then to open a Worbench in a window, dropping some program from my OS3.9 drawer in the runinUAE window

It seems i forget how i did it but this does not work.
eg using cli i get a requester asking if i want to run it under UAE

Then i get one telling me if that program has a config file (edit it?) or not (want to create one? ) Nothing happens after that though

Any hint?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@JosDuchIt Quote:
I used to be able then to open a Worbench in a window, dropping some program from my OS3.9 drawer in the runinUAE window

It seems i forget how i did it but this does not work.

You really should read the manual (or even what the window says!), but basically you are remembering how RunInUAE *used* to work

When (a long time ago) I added the ability for double-clicking on 68k games to automatically be run inside E-UAE, I then made dropping of 68k games onto the window do something different (configure the settings for that game).

If you still want to drop the game somewhere (instead of just double-clicking it!) then drop it on RunInUAE's AppIcon or it's AmiDock icon.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Hmm, maybe we can just have Update 3 for OS4.1 first... it must be about due.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@vox

Java,
Flash,
stable USB 2.0.

Better memory protection, like enforced MEMF_PRIVATE flag (or a new such flag) would be very welcome too.

Software developer for Amiga OS3 and OS4.
Develops for OnyxSoft and the Amiga using E and C and occasionally C++
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ChrisH

I was too fast posing the problem and not fast enough telling you that i 'rediscovered' the doubleclicking. Sorry.

Go to top
Anonymous
@Chris

OK, some could be "Boing Baged" before (Beam me Up, Scottie) but its a genetal way to go. Any fresh ideas for Update?

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@vox

USB2 nearly made Update 2 so that should be in it. I'd like to see the Dot4 driver completed too (although it doesn't need to be in the OS, it would be better if it was).

The dodgy FAT/USB issue needs to be fixed.

Fully HW accelerate Cairo and add HW acceleration to gfx.library (where worthwhile)

And, erm, that's it. I'm easily pleased.

Chris

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 3 4 ... 8 »