Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
127 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 127

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

radeon 9250 agp - question
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi,

I have an ati radeon 9250 agp graphics-card from ebay but it does not work with u-boot 1.1.1 from 3/3/2005 on my SE.

I get vertical coloms in white on a black background and a flickering screen and i can see no text, just a flikkering cursor somewhere below.

My question is what causes these coloms instead of the usual text that i see with my radeon 7500 card.

Here is a ebay-link to the card.

Could it be that this card is not compatible?

A1G3-SE + OS4.1 u1 iso (x2)
Go to top
Re: radeon 9250 agp - question
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Dirk-B

Hmm, i think i made a bad buy, seems like these cards only support agp 4x and 8x, and the SE is agp 2x.

Tought that these cards would also support 2x as a minimum.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Dirk-B

Quote:

Dirk-B wrote:
Hi,

I have an ati radeon 9250 agp graphics-card from ebay but it does not work with u-boot 1.1.1 from 3/3/2005 on my SE.

I get vertical coloms in white on a black background and a flickering screen and i can see no text, just a flikkering cursor somewhere below.

My question is what causes these coloms instead of the usual text that i see with my radeon 7500 card.

This looks very like the 9200SE I have in my SE (Which works perfectly BTW), and is keyed to fit in an AGP 2x slot. There are 2 possiblities I would check: Make sure the card works, get it tested on a PC if you can, Make sure you've got pushed all the way into the AGP connector, I've seen at least one instance where a graphics card (AGP) is screwed to the backplane, but not connected fully to the motherboard.

Good luck (should be nice card if you can get it to work)

Regards
Darren

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Dirk-B

Looking at the description on ebay you could well have an unsuitable one. In my A1 XE-G4 mine is made by Sapphire and is a R9250 256Mb DDR Memory AGP VGA/TVO/DVI-I

clint

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Daz

I have installed the card for a second time and the result is the same. I even did the boota command blindly but the following OS4 screens are also garbage.

@clint

Yes, i think that the card is not compatible. I can also not find specific info about the card, so whitout the manual i have nothing to search for. I guess i have to do an email to the seller and ask for more info about the card.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Dirk-B

If the 9250 was one of the incompatible (64bit) cards, you would have no graphics or text whatsoever showing on the screen. My guess is that the card is compatable, but has gone bad. Contact the seller as to its quality. You may be able to get a refund.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hi @Dirk-B

I noticed that that adapter 'slot' spec isn't even mentioned in the ad. You should have asked about that? Hardware shopping for the Amiga is very hard. Every specification counts...
Yes. Some PCs mobos require 4x or better AGP cards.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Dirk-B

Quote:

Dirk-B wrote:
@Daz

I have installed the card for a second time and the result is the same. I even did the boota command blindly but the following OS4 screens are also garbage.

Did you try it in a PC? I think your card is broken.

Quote:

@clint

Yes, i think that the card is not compatible. I can also not find specific info about the card, so whitout the manual i have nothing to search for. I guess i have to do an email to the seller and ask for more info about the card.

There is no such thing as a Radeon 9200/9200SE/9250 that is not AGP 2x compatable. The RV280 chip used in all these cards is AGP 2x/4x/8x

The only problem I know of is 256Mb cards appearing as 128Mb ones, but they still work as a display.

The card is not working because one of the following:

1) Card broken - You need to test it in a PC.

2) Card not fully inserted into slot (You've checked this so not important)

3) Wrong Bios i.e. Flashed for use on a Mac. UBoot uses the Bios to initalise the card, and needs a PC Bios for this.

Can you attach a terminal to the serial and tell us what is being sent duing boot?

Regards
Darren

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@interrogative

Quote:

interrogative wrote:
@Dirk-B

If the 9250 was one of the incompatible (64bit) cards, you would have no graphics or text whatsoever showing on the screen. My guess is that the card is compatable, but has gone bad. Contact the seller as to its quality. You may be able to get a refund.

Err... my 9200SE (same chipset) is 64 bit and works fine.

Regards
Darren

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Daz

I have done an email on 4 august to the seller if he had tested the card in a pc and if it was working, but he has not replied yet, so i will wait, maybe he will anwser it at a later time.

I will try to find someone who has a pc with agp to test the card.

Thanks for the info and the help.

Dirk.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Daz

You are indeed right concerning the 9200SE; however, the 64 bit version of the 9250 is completely incompatible with A1s. Rogue et al at Hyperion have said as such. I have experience buying a 64 bit version of the 9250. It would not display a single thing.

Go to top

Register To Post