Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
105 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 105

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Python programs: Work on AOS4 ???
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hello,

There are sometime programs made with Python on the web.

AOS4 could use pythons programs and run directly on AOS4 ???

this is a questions related to some comment for phenny (os4depot).

http://os4depot.net/index.php?functio ... e=network/chat/phenny.lha

the author said that It's hard to have python program running on AOS4 and on site with pythons version of a program, claimed that python version could be used on all platforms without changes (or verry limited). Not verry clear...

A1200+Mediator+VooDoo3+060/50+96mo+IIYAMA 17"+CD,CDRW,ZIP SCSI-KIT
SAM440EP on Mapower 3000+AOS4.1

Amiga Docs Disk Preservation Project
Go to top
Re: Python programs: Work on AOS4 ???
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Mrodfr

In general, Python are works on AOS4. I tryed some simply scripts, etc. But, when it comes to something heavy, then personally i am always have problems with it. So, all the time when i see that game/app/etc want Python, i skip it for myself.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@all

And after having downloaded a python program, that could run on all platform, what I should do, for running the program ???

for example: (the python download)

http://sabnzbd.org/download/

NOTE: I don't know what is a python program, just know the .py extension

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Mrodfr

Python it's programming language (like Perl for example). And on all platforms there is Python binary which "handle" python scripts. Also there is always many pytnon modules/libs.

Usually, just try to run any python script like that:
amiga shell:> python script.py

When programm start to be more heavy (not only one script, many dependences on python modules) then more problems can be :)

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
It will also depend on what modules the Python script you download requires. If it requires something which is not on the Amiga, then you will most likely run into problems.

Like someone else has already commented, I have only played with some basic shell based Python scripts the Amiga. They ran fine but I have not tried anything that would be classified as complex.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Mrodfr
And after having downloaded a python program, that could run on all platform, what I should do, for running the program ???
Look at the 'imports.' If the modules are not found in Python/libs then the app is worthless. 98% of Python apps won't run in OS4 and Python 2.5 because of 'modules'-- compiled libraries to the OS4 system.
OS4.1 Installer was a Python app! I would be curious to know how it was built. 'Me thinks' you have to have a OS4 Python compiler to do this. Y/N?

Your avatar: Hugh Laurie as "Gregory House" in the TV series "House" ?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Snuffy

ok, I understand now:

python "RAM Disk:SABnzbd.py"
The following modules need to be installed: Cheetah, cherrypy(included, unpack the zip), sqlite(if python 2.4)

needed: Cheetah, cherrypy, sqlite.

as said: cherrypy is included on the archive and, apparently are just .py.

- If a python program need additionnal python package to run, this program, completely installed could run on AOS4 ???

for this example, I think cheetah and sqlite are surely plain linux exe, that mean no chance to run on AOS4 (but not checked)....

EDIT1: hum, chetah is python also..
EDIT2: hum, not clear for me to see if sqlite exist as python package...

Finally, as a general question: - Is it good to think about the possibility to use python packages on AOS4 more or less direclty ???

The previous posters said that as soon as python become complicated (other libraries) mean not work.....

@Snuffy

this avatar have lots of success and you aren't the first to ask.

Yes, It's Dr.House and I have choosen this one because he look like....me... (no joke - I have said look like!!) and more actually because the weather is too hot for me for sleeping well

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Mrodfr

On the Amiga there is a specific module to display messages in a window.
This module is called "asl".
About a month ago to make a ftp client in English and Spanish called cliftpy using ASL for error messages and can be downloaded here:

http://freesoftwareando.com/wp-conten ... 2010/06/cliftpy0.2.tar.gz

More info here: http://freesoftwareando.com/2010/06/25/cliftpy-v0-2/ and also here http://freesoftwareando.com/2010/06/22/cliftpy-avances/

i upload phenny to os4depot that I found interesting and which can be easily modified and extended by anyone who wants.
Alan1 know?, Imagine a module for phenny like that.

I find interesting a section on os4depot where put python scripts work properly. This for example works: http://codigoparallevar.blogspot.com/ ... ascii-art-con-python.html

sorry for my bad google english.

Edited by jackepc on 2010/7/15 20:42:11
Edited by jackepc on 2010/7/15 20:44:45
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Mrodfr

i've just released on my site a package that allows you to use python with odbc and is really simply to install and use it.
So if you want to use databases with python this is a must:

Resized Image

i'm really tired...
Go to top

Register To Post