Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
102 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 101

kishigo, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Boot issues of OS 4.0 classic on A4k PPC
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Now that I found some time to play around with my OS 4.0 classic installation on my towered A4k with CyberstormPPC (060@50mHz/604e@200mHz; 128 mB, 70 ns) and Mediator with Voodoo4 graca, Terratec 512i Digital soundcard and 10/100 mBit NIC with RTL 8139 chip; Deneb ZIII USB card, I faced some issues with my installation:

1) Cold boot into OS4 is currently not possible. I have to boot from diskette and CD and then to reset the Amiga to boot from the harddrive.

2) After booting, Workbench comes up with Pal lowres screen, although during the installation I set Picasso96 to come up with 1024x768. I keep getting this error message in an Dos screen during boot:
"LoadMonDrvs failed with returncode 10 - the Voodoo monitor driver file is not executable" or something like that. How can I make the system boot with the preset Picasso mode (e.g.1024x768)? Could this issue be related with issue 1), e.g. that cold boot from HD does not work?

3) How can I make my NIC in the Mediator work?
If I type the IP of my router in the address line of IBrwse I get the message that there is no route to that device or so.

I did a "show config" and got this - maybe it is of help:

Board (ELBOX): Prod=2206/33($89E/$21)
(@$40000000, size 16meg, subsize same)
Board (ELBOX): Prod=2206/161($89E/$A1)
(@$60000000, size 512meg, subsize same)
PCI BOARDS:
Bus Device Funct. Manuf. Product Status
0x00 0x01 0x00 0x121A 0x0009 working
0x00 0x03 0x00 0x10EC 0x8139 working
0x00 0x04 0x00 0x1319 0x0801 workingCHIP), at

4) No boot into OS4 possible at all as long as DENEB is in the system.
In OS 3.9 it works like a charm with the "ROM Off"jumper set - but OS4 refuses to boot as long as the DENEB is electrically present in the system. I either have to take the Deneb enrtirely out or to try it until the DENEB magically does not get recognised on reboot (LEDs off) - then I can boot OS4 with the limitations from 1).

Someone with ideas how to fix these issues?

Go to top
Re: Boot issues of OS 4.0 classic on A4k PPC
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Dandy

1. had the same problem, you probably have wrong identifier for the boot partition should be 444F5307

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Dandy

3. Only cards that are based upon AS 8029 chip work in Mediator under OS 4.0 Classic.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@fryguy

Quote:

fryguy wrote:
@Dandy

1. had the same problem, you probably have wrong identifier for the boot partition should be 444F5307

I will check that when I'm back home in front of my miggy.
Thanks for the tip anyway.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Sir_Lucas

Quote:

Sir_Lucas wrote:
@Dandy

3. Only cards that are based upon AS 8029 chip work in Mediator under OS 4.0 Classic.

Then please tell me why there are 10 mBit and 100mBit drivers for the 8029 chip and as well expressly for the "Mediator RTL8139" to choose from? There even is an 100mBit "open PCI driver" for the "Mediator RTL8139"...
Why would there be drivers for an unsupported device?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Dandy

Maybe there were planned but never implemented due to time constraints?
(And maybe there wasn't even time to implement a note about "currently not supported"?)

edit: Oh and double posting the same question as you did here won't help either

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Dandy

Sorry, I've no idea. I'm not an OS4 classic developer. Perhaps, you should ask some betatesters or developers.

At least check the AS8029 based card whether it works or not.
BTW, have you installed the February OS4 classic update? It can be download from Hyperion's site.
Cheers mate.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Dandy

They are there because they work on other systems (eg. AmigaOne). Perhaps they should have been taken out of the OS4.0 classic ISO, yes you are right.

The bottom line is the PCI solutions for classic don't support DMA due to their own limitations. It's not an OS4 limitation, but a hardware/software limitation.

It's also not up to Hyperion to write ALL drivers. For these PCI solutions it would be nice (for example) if Elbox wrote some OS4 native drivers using their proprietary "dma" solution, then those cards may work on classics with OS4.

My advice is for you to ask Elbox to write proper OS4 PPC-native drivers for their Mediators.

If enough users request this maybe they will.

Go to top

Register To Post