Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
137 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 136

rjd324, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

SSD hd
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Has anyone tested a SSD hd disc on os4?

I'm playing with the idea of getting an ssd disc,not a big one. But one as primery boot disc. Only thing is that they're quite expensive. Anyone has any experience with these types of drives???

X5000
Go to top
Re: SSD hd
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Antique
At my job we had a SSD in a new Windows notebook computer earlier this year. But, it was so slow we replaced it with a normal spinning hard drive.

Sam460 : X1000 : X5000
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@logicalheart

Ok,i see there are many different speeds on the different drives. The faster ones are also more expensive. Did see some tests where the ssd's outperformed standard discs. But how well will they work on the amiga? Since we don't have sata2,is that much loss in speed???

X5000
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Antique

I've got a 30 GB MTron SSD as the only "HD" in my Sam440ep. I also disabled the case fan, so the only noise from my Sam is if I use the DVD drive. That alone is worth it! And since the drive doesn't get warm and doesn't vibrate, I could simply mount it inside the case by means of Velcro strips, no need for screws.

The speed is roughly the same as for a 2,5" traditional drive, maybe a little faster, but it's not significant.

But I can generally recommend using an SSD, especially for the noise-free and heat-free operation. And it's totally transparent to the system, it's just a hard disk.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@nbache

Your random access time and probably seek time should be much better than a normal disk. In fact it should be pretty much linear across the drive.

And of course you don't need to defrag :)

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I use an OCZ 30GB SSD in my SAM 440ep - it's very fast (much faster than a 2.5" drive), and of course silent. Certainly don't regret getting it. AmigaOS is so efficient 30GB is plenty - may as well take advantage of that fact!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi,
i also use the ocz 30 GB in my Samflex and i am happy with this.
Nice speed and silent :)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Goos

Welcome to the site. Hope you enjoy it here aswell.

Do anyone know how well that disc is compared to other ssd discs? The ones i have looked at,seems to be faster at around 128 and 256gig sizes. But also much more expensive.

X5000
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@HammerD

Quote:
HammerD wrote:
@nbache

Your random access time and probably seek time should be much better than a normal disk. In fact it should be pretty much linear across the drive.

Well, I haven't actually made any measurements, it's just "fast enough". But I probably should try some disk benchmark, just to know better next time I'm asked . Any recommendations?

Quote:
And of course you don't need to defrag :)

That much is true. Although I don't remember when I last defragged any of my drives.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Antique

Quote:

Antique wrote:
@Goos

Welcome to the site. Hope you enjoy it here aswell.

Do anyone know how well that disc is compared to other ssd discs? The ones i have looked at,seems to be faster at around 128 and 256gig sizes. But also much more expensive.

some info on SSD's http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18040306

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Antique

What I have is not really a SSD but a compact flash enclosure with a SATA connector. Inside I placed a 2GB compact flash card.
It's faster than the 2.5" HD especially in reading operations but there's no big difference.

With this SSD-like I boot OS4 in 3 or 4 seconds less than with my HD.

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top

Register To Post