Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
127 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 127

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

New Mame for OS 4
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi!

Mame new version for OS 4 (1.06) is ready for release. There is only one stupid problem left. And I fear it is a Windows problem (Windows preventing xMame from release???) Maybe someone here knows Windows well enough to help me fix the problem?

The problem:

Originally I copied the Mame source as downloaded from a Linux system and written there to a CD to my Windows system. Then I compiled+ported it using cygwin OS 4 crosscompiler.

Now the problem was: A lot of files where stated as "you have no permission to read this file". The compiler still could read them, I just could not copy or edit or archive them. I tried to use Windows Explorer to change the permissions. Most of the times after I pressed ok they were still at "write protected" (and obviously read protected, what is entirely stupid). Sometimes if I did this attribute change several times in a row after 4-5x it finally was readable. There was no logic in how often I needed to try until it worked. Fortunately for porting I did not need to edit ALL files. And after a lot of trying I could edit the files I needed to edit. And weirdly the compiler could still compile the read-protected files, only copying+archiving+editing was not possible.

Now the Mame licence requires me to release the source-code when I release the new version. Which means I need to "fix" all thousands of Mame files from the stupid read-protection-bug.

Does anybody have an idea how I can fix this, either with Cygwin or windows? My guess is that when I wrote the source to cd on the linux system the file permissions from the Linux system were still "active" and windows is confused by it.

Windows is soooo stupid !!!! This is a single user machine, file permissions MAKE NO SENSE HERE !!! I am the only one using this computer !!!

Any help appreciated.

Best would be some sort of "this is my computer, I can access all files on it any ways I want" tool for Windows, does something like this exist? (I fear not...).

As soon as I can fix this STUPID problem I can release the new xMame for OS 4.

Steffen Haeuser

Go to top
Re: New Mame for OS 4
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@MagicSN

How are the permission for the drawer(s) that contain the files?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@MagicSN

Don't know if it helps but I found this Microsoft article:

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B308419&x=11&y=5

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@samo79

Thanks, this article looks like it describes exactly what I need. Not feeling today like more "fighting against Windows", but I will work through it the next day and try if it helps.

ZeroG: The problem is both to files and directories. What I was trying was to set the new rights to the directory containing the files (with settings that it would be applied to files contained there as well). But as I said it did not work.

Steffen

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@MagicSN

Good, looking forward for your release, finally !

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
I've compiled tons of files under cygwin. What is the exact problem? and when you receive that error message?

did you try the chmod command?

i'm really tired...
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@afxgroup

The problem is not related to cygwin I think. It is that the source-files are read-protected. Compiling them works fine. Just packing them into an archive doesn't (the source-files, I *can* pack the Binaries).

Hmmm, chmod, how is the syntax to use (if I want to make the files accessible for a directory, including all subdirectories).

Steffen

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@MagicSN

use

chmod -R 777 *

in your directory

i'm really tired...
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@afxgroup

When I try this it says "permission denied" for most files.

Steffen

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Problem fixed. Or more workarounded. I noticed that the problem does not happen with tar, so I just tar'ed the source-code

As soon as the friend whom I sent the source+binaries for repacking to lha (which I cannot do here on the windows machine, no working Amiga right now :((( ) I will release xMame 1.06.

Thanks to all for the patience.

Note this is only xMame right now, not mess. Not sure if I will still bother with Mess in the old 1.06 version or if I will look into this for 1.23 only then. Most likely the latter.

Steffen

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@MagicSN

please upload it to os4depot.net too, the home of OS4 files.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@jahc

Actually that is the site I uploaded it to. The upload is currently in progress (actually the binary upload is finished, the source is just uploading).

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@MagicSN

Great with more updated sw. And welcome back to our family.

You should set up a paypal account so people can donate and you get new hw.

X5000
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@MagicSN

That's great news!!!

Only one question Steffen;why you ported MAME 1.06 and not a newer one?

Amiga 500 1MB Chip RAM with ACA 500+ACA1232,CD32,Amiga 1300 030/50 Mhz,32MB (now on my hands at least)and Amiga One G3 XE PPC 800 Mhz,ATI Radeon 9250 128 MB,256 MB RAM,Seagate 200 GB HD,2 working DVD drives,X-Arcade double for MAME,Sil0680,4 USB ports,LG
Go to top

Register To Post