Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
151 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 150

orgin, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
NPAPI general support ?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Does anyone know if the actual AmiPDF have a decent support for NPAPI (Netscape Plugin Application Programming Interface) ?

Just yesterday searching on the net I found some interesting info about this technology:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NPAPI

Well, now that Flash on AmigaOS seems near (at least not impossible) and system plugin can become "standard" also on our platform would be cool to extend this technology in other area expecially if Joerg can enable NPAPI on OWB

Reading a PDF or watching a video with MPlayer/DvPlayer inside OWB seems a nice gesture to me

What do you think about ?

Go to top
Re: NPAPI general support ?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@samo79

Wouldn't NPAPI have to be implemented in the OS, a plugin for each application at least.?

IBrowse uses mime types, is there a way to use plugins in the same way?

Peter Swallow

Eyetech A1XE-G3 800Mhz OS4.1
Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@samo79

A VLC plugin for OWB would be nice. There already exists a VLC plugin for Mozilla FireFox on Windows.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Swoop

Quote:
Wouldn't NPAPI have to be implemented in the OS, a plugin for each application at least.?

On applications are enough I think, don't know about IBrowse.

@salass00

Quote:
A VLC plugin for OWB would be nice. There already exists a VLC plugin for Mozilla FireFox on Windows.

Don't know if VLC is supported but MPlayer for sure it is altrough only on OWB-GTK

http://www.sand-labs.org/owb/wiki/ReleaseNotesGalegon

Aniway we don't have VLC on OS4 yet

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@samo79

Reading a PDF or watching a video with MPlayer/DvPlayer inside OWB ?
That would be a dream
Great idea if it is possible!
I would spend some money for that plugin(s), just as for OWB and flash-plugin.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Swoop

Quote:

Swoop wrote:
@samo79

NPAPI must be implemented by the browsers, not by the OS. After that, it's a matter of people writing plugins. For example, if Stephen made an appropriate API for DvPlayer so that it could be embedded into another program, a DvPlayer plugin could be made that uses DvPlayer to embed video into a webpage.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Swoop

IB2.4 supports NPAPI.

Download my Audio plugin for IB2.4, you need TuneNet installed.

http://www.os4depot.net/index.php?fun ... work/browser/np_audio.lha

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@LiveForIt

Quote:

LiveForIt wrote:
@Swoop

IB2.4 supports NPAPI.

Indeed - has everybody forgotten about IBrowse already? The NPAPI compatible API was after all one of the main reasons IBrowse 2.4 was delayed so long. Stefan initially added NPAPI support to IBrowse many years ago - believe it or not, Christmas 2002 was the first time I saw flash up and running in IBrowse, but obviously it was a while before this was integrated into the IB2.x source tree.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Futaura

Then do you have any news about next release ?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Futaura

Ibrowse is becoming a Chimera, it is a legendary software, we don't know if it will become reality or it will be a vaporware like DukeNukemForever

Seriously, it has been a long since a new version and even if there will be one, will it like owb ?.. i don't think.. imho..

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Futaura

Quote:

Futaura wrote:
@LiveForIt

Quote:

LiveForIt wrote:
@Swoop

IB2.4 supports NPAPI.

Indeed - has everybody forgotten about IBrowse already?

well, if you don't hear anything (new) about it one tends to forget...
believe it or not but it seems that ibrowse has been replaced by owb for most of the (os4) users. sadly...
i really would appreciate to hear some updates about ibrowse development from time to time - IF there is any.

byebye...

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@gurus2000

Quote:

gurus2000 wrote:
@samo79

Reading a PDF or watching a video with MPlayer/DvPlayer inside OWB ?
That would be a dream
Great idea if it is possible!
I would spend some money for that plugin(s), just as for OWB and flash-plugin.

Why are everybody so eager to get these plugin solutions? I have never understood why it is better to e.g. read a PDF file in a reader window embedded inside your browser window, when you could read it in a separate window with the application's full functionality available and where you can resize the window and flip it back/front as you wish, whle still being able to use the browser independently in its own window while you read.

On Windoze at work, it always irritates me to e.g. get Word files opened in IE; when I'm done reading them, I always by habit close the window thinking I'm closing Word and getting back to IE -- which closes IE so I have to start it again.

I'm much happier with the Amiga Way (TM): Delegate tasks to the programs that were made for them, make use of IPC (using ARexx or whatever means you want), and don't try to hide the fact that you're doing it, it is after all one of the strengths of our platform.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Futaura

Quote:

Futaura wrote:
@LiveForIt

Quote:

LiveForIt wrote:
@Swoop

IB2.4 supports NPAPI.

Indeed - has everybody forgotten about IBrowse already? The NPAPI compatible API was after all one of the main reasons IBrowse 2.4 was delayed so long. Stefan initially added NPAPI support to IBrowse many years ago - believe it or not, Christmas 2002 was the first time I saw flash up and running in IBrowse, but obviously it was a while before this was integrated into the IB2.x source tree.

It's been noted before, and no doubt the NPAPI on OWB will be made compatible; it doesn't make sense to have conflicting versions of the same API on one system. However, this post in another thread says that Ibrowse 2.4's implementation isn't 100% compatible with NPAPI.

Is there any chance that we'll see this fixed in a 2.5 release? And what about 3.0? I'm sure that many are wondering if there's been any progress on that front.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@nbache

You can always choose if you like to open your document (talking about doc files) in an "external" program as always or alternative embedded on OWB, if we only speak about document I can agree with you but there's a lot of other implications and use that you can reach only with NPAPI expecially regarding videos or audio stream on various website

So IMHO plugins and NPAPI are really needed on AmigaOS

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Hans

Quote:

Hans wrote:
@Futaura

It's been noted before, and no doubt the NPAPI on OWB will be made compatible; it doesn't make sense to have conflicting versions of the same API on one system. However, this post in another thread says that Ibrowse 2.4's implementation isn't 100% compatible with NPAPI.

Is there any chance that we'll see this fixed in a 2.5 release? And what about 3.0? I'm sure that many are wondering if there's been any progress on that front.

Depends what you mean by 100% compatible - I doubt any browser is 100% compliant with the full NPAPI spec. Certainly there are some bugs and omissions, but everything that is needed to get stuff like flash plugins up and running is there already in 2.4. Remember that we only had a flash plugin to test the API with, and we work with developers to address any NPAPI issues in IBrowse. A number of NPAPI issues have already been fixed for 2.5.

As for 3.0, at this moment in time it's not looking like it's going to happen, but never say never . And indeed with OWB, why bother? It's frustrating for me personally that 2.5 was not released on schedule (could have been released 12-18 months ago), with IBrowse running natively on OS4 since July 2007. The reasons for the delay are that our testers (and me too) had lots of stability issues with IBrowse on OS4, and it now seems that the majority of those problems were down to OS4 itself (recent OS4 beta updates have fixed remaining issues with IBrowse). Another major deciding factor is that we still need to sort out the distribution mess which has not changed at all since IOSPIRIT closed - this has to be sorted out with Stefan if we are ever to move forward .

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Futaura

Why don't you and Dave set up a Paypal account so people can buy IBrowse from you.

That's one of the ways I distribute Digital Universe.

Bill.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Futaura

Quote:
As for 3.0, at this moment in time it's not looking like it's going to happen, but never say never . And indeed with OWB, why bother?
Because it's a complete browser, unlike OWB which doesn't even have a toolbar (in the SDL, GTK and Qt versions).

The WebKit engine used by OWB is of course much better than the one of IBrowse and it's impossible to add all features of WebKit or Gecko to the IBrowse engine, but adding the missing features (DOM, CSS and IFrames) to get 99% of the pages working correctly again in IBrowse is very likely less work than implementing an AmigaOS 4.x browser around OWB.

Another option would be to throw away the IBrowse engine and replace it by WebKit or Gecko, for example just using the IBrowse GUI and network functions (in which the only important missing feature is AFAIK HTTP/1.1 persistent connections) with WebKit as engine, which should be quite easy if you use OWB instead of WebKit directly, would be a much better browser than OWB. It would have a disk cache, working cookie support, cookie manager, download manager, support for HTTP authentication with password manager and a lot of other features OWB doesn't have, and wont get for years.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@joerg
I agree.

In terms of usability IBrowse is lightyears ahead of OWB, in performance it is now far far behind.

J?rg how about you working with the Ibrowse people to combine things for the better, if they would be interested?

I hope to see IBrowse3 some day.

Bounty site for AmigaOS4! www.amigabounty.net
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Futaura

Even if most people use owb,like myself. If a IB 3.0 comes out i'd buy it before you could blink. I think that goes for many of us. IB is a great program,just needs some updates. And why not distribute like bille suggests?

You have alteast one buyer,thats me

X5000
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@joerg

That's the reason why we told you to switch to MUi

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »