Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
125 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 123

nbache, balaton, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 3 »
Roadshow
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I can't get my new Sam440ep online. It is hooked to a LAN with a Linux box and an iMac. The internet is accessed via a DSL modem/router. I think my problem is a routing problem, but every route I try to add other than the default gateway gives me an error message, Can anyone help?

Go to top
Re: Roadshow
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@tlm

My default gateway is 10.1.1.1 and the SAM is 10.1.1.5 my classic is 10.1.1.4 and the modded xbox 10.1.1.6

In the wizard I set my settings manually

run the wizard for internet etc but perhaps try to manually set the section relating to the below

I think from memory

mask was 255.0.0.0 gateway was 10.1.1.1 which is the gateway the router sets (router also automatically assigns the other ips to whatever is connected to it) I just took a guess that the SAM would be 10.1.1.5 and that worked out fine.

If you don't want to hit and miss perhaps power everything up etc connect it all up and then via one of your other computers enter the html pages of your router (10.1.1.0? depending on router brand) particulars and go to the relevant page and see what ip has been assigned to your SAM

I know it's not direct this help but I am at work sorry

let us know how you got on

~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
ah, maybe this is a little more complicated because of a lan? like the lan is plugged into the router?

bottom answer I think is, you need to know the gateway ip of the lan and the ip that is assigned to your SAM... check the other two machines plugged into the lan already... the information is in those two machines, I assume they already have working access to the internet

And enter the information as in the above post, the only thing I can think of which might be different is because it is a lan and not the actual router the mask value may be different..

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Slayer

I do not have a dhcp server on my network; all ip addresses are static. I cannot pingother machines on the network nor can other machines ping the Sam.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@tlm

So you're saying the two other machines have ips you set for them and also share the gateway of the lan which in turn shares the gateway of the router?

I'm a little confused, I'm certainly no professional in regards to this but if the other two machines already have internet access via the lan isn't it simply a case of setting the SAM to the same ip as the other two plus 1 and then entering exactly the same gateway they use and then the mask value would be the same as those two machines too.

i.e. all my a machines attached to my router have same mask same gateway and only machine ip is different 10.1.1.5 10.1.1.6 etc etc

I do recall however that I added something in the internet preferences on the A1 once but after it was set once I could remove later and it didn't need it anymore.

When I get home tonight I will look at the file in devs and get back to you with the information...

sorry if I'm not helping so much as distracting

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Slayer

I appreciate your helpfulness. I,too, figured all I would have to do would be to assign the Sam an IP number in the network and set the gateway and I would be off and running. My A1 is dead so I can't look at its set up to see how I got it online. If you could look at your setup. maybe that will solve my problem.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@tlm

okay from devs:

# DEVS:NetInterfaces/PPC440EP_ETH
# File generated by Dialer 52.1 (11.12.2006)
# On Friday, 09-Jan-09 at 06:55:32
device=ppc440ep_eth.device
configure=dhcp
address=10.1.1.5
netmask=255.0.0.0
mtu=1478

The mtu is optional I just added that recently just incase it made a difference, I guess your configure line would = static not dhcp?

I have altered Roadshowcontrol but then again this shouldn't matter for a case of getting you online:

bpf.bufsize = 4096
icmp.maskrepl = 0
icmp.processecho = 0
icmp.procesststamp = 0
ip.defttl = 64
ip.forwarding = 1
ip.sendredirects = 1
ip.subnetsarelocal = 0
tcp.do_rfc1323 = 1
tcp.do_timestamps = 1
tcp.do_win_scale = 1
tcp.mssdflt = 1478
tcp.recvspace = 65536
tcp.rttdflt = 3
tcp.sendspace = 65536
tcp.use_mssdflt_for_remote = 0
udp.cksum = 1
udp.recvspace = 41600
udp.sendspace = 9216

If something doesn't happen for you this time I'll go through the process of setting my link up again with the wizard and note down the steps taken to get online

also, look at internet in prefs drawer

In routes make sure default gateway is the lan gateway etc

save it anyway and exit, see if you can get out then?

If not, go back and under interfaces select modify and examine that

both my boxes in there are ticked and also default

and it reads from the top

PPC440EP_ETH
DEVS:Networks/ppc440ep_eth.device
Ethernet

and nothing in host, try dynamic configuration anyway if nothing else works, I guess I could enter something like 127.0.0.1 or hostname in this slot but it doesn't matter, it might matter if I want to telnet to my own mud later down the road... heh

Did you select the wrong option for the wiz when you first set it up? I wouldn't think so but anything is worth scrutinising...

Hope something works! good luck!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Slayer

I am at work now but will check out your latest posting when I get home. Hopefully, a light will go off and I will see the error of my ways.

BTW my wife and I taught in the Peace Corps in Samoa 40 years ago with Kiwis who became our friends. We visited your beautiful country once.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@tlm

via a DSL...
I've been trying to connect with ATT DSL myself and can't. I think I'm upposed to use the 'ppp-ethernet.device' but I don't think it's compatible to newer DSL modems. The NetInterface doesn't get setup correctly. Like you, help is needed. Glad you started this thread!

Edit:
Anyone using PPPoE via DSL on their A1?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@tlm

Quote:

@Slayer

I am at work now but will check out your latest posting when I get home. Hopefully, a light will go off and I will see the error of my ways.

Good luck!

Quote:

BTW my wife and I taught in the Peace Corps in Samoa 40 years ago with Kiwis who became our friends. We visited your beautiful country once.

Well it is a small world, Dad comes from Samoa. I have yet to go to Samoa myself, although I have been around the world a few times. I was hoping to take my Dad and my son there sometime soon. 3 generations type thing

Yes NZ is a nice place, Samoa I can assume is very nice too

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Slayer

We were in Samoa in October for the first time in almost 40 years. It has changed a lot but is still paradise.
I am away from my Sam for the weekend so haven't had a chance to try the settings you sent. Will keep you posted.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Snuffy

When I tried PPOE vis DSL I got a Guru meditation. Meanwhile I aam no closer to getting online.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Slayer

I.ve checked all my settings against yours and can't see anything that would help me get online by changing. I can't beliee that anything in roadshowcontrol is keeping me from getting online

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@tlm

Quote:

tlm wrote:
@Slayer

I.ve checked all my settings against yours and can't see anything that would help me get online by changing. I can't beliee that anything in roadshowcontrol is keeping me from getting online

I agree I don't think anything in Roadshowcontrol is preventing the link, that was added for completeness and wondered if perhaps you'd tweak your settings if your speed wasn't good.

I'm still at a loss why you are having any problems at all. If you are using the proper mask and using the correct assigned ip the matter must be one thing.

The driver is incompatiable with the Lan for some reason? Why not remove the lan and get the SAM going through the router...

THEN

go back to the lan?

I'm no expert but I wish I was there just to be hands on and at the very least enjoy a cool beer and ponder the ramifications of the male need to explore logical worlds

Look at the linux setup again, have a beer... look again... have another beer... look again, but that's enough beer, now have a baileys on ice... MMmmm

google compatiability verses the supported protocol of the driver where a lan is involved. I could do it but then I'd be frustrated because I couldn't set it up and go YES! that's it... up to you tlm!

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Slayer

I just had a thought Slayer, does a lan need to forward an ip? ie are the other two cpus included in the lans settings to be exposed to the net...

does a lan have firewall rules? perhaps the lan is blocking etc...

a long shot ?

can you access the lans settings via html?

check it out! I could be on the right track tlm?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Slayer

Quote:

Slayer wrote:
@tlm

okay from devs:

configure=dhcp
address=10.1.1.5
netmask=255.0.0.0
mtu=1478

Wow, what a mess :p

- Why do you have *both* DHCP and an IP? Either use static OR dynamic configuration.

- You wrote that all your IPs in your LAN are 10.1.1.x ones, right? So why the heck do you then specify a netmask of 255.0.0.0 ? It shouldn't hurt, but correct would be 255.255.255.0 as netmask.

- Why such a strange MTU value? For Ethernet the MTU is 1500 (for gigabit ethernet its actually up to 9000, but that isn't supported yet). Thats also true if you access the Internet through a router. Only if you are directly connected to the Internet with your Amiga (e.g. through PPPoE), you might have to worry about the MTU value and set it to something below 1492 for DSL.. but even that would Roadshow do for you with the Wizard..

Quote:

The mtu is optional I just added that recently just incase it made a difference, I guess your configure line would = static not dhcp?

Better remove it again... or even better: ditch all your config and generate a new one with the Wizard without tinkering with it ;)

Quote:

I have altered Roadshowcontrol but then again this shouldn't matter for a case of getting you online:

tcp.mssdflt = 1478

Oh well, you didn't leave anything alone, did you?
I didn't have a look at all values, just at mssdflt because that is directly related to the MTU setting: The MSS *must* be at least 40 less than the MTU. I.e. if your MTU is 1500, the MSS must be 1460 or less. But in any case not the same.

Quote:

If something doesn't happen for you this time I'll go through the process of setting my link up again with the wizard and note down the steps taken to get online

Seeing the things above you probably should really do that and not mess around with the settings if you don't absolutely need to... and reading a bit up on them in Wikipedia or so wouldn't hurt either

AmigaOS 4 core developer
www.os4welt.de - Die deutsche AmigaOS 4 Gemeinschaft

"In the beginning was CAOS.."
-- Andy Finkel, 1988 (ViewPort article, Oct. 1993)
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@tlm

You have to provide more details, otherwise its just a wild guessing session and nothing more. What i gathered from your various posts is this:

- You are in a LAN with other boxes
- All IPs are statically assigned, e.g. Router 192.168.0.1, Mac/PC .2 and the SAM shall get the .3
- Internet is accessed through a router
- With your current configuration you can't do anything with your SAM

Correct? Then follow these steps *verbatim* so we have a well defined state (Note: As i'm German, some things are probably named different for you, because i just translated from the German locale.. but you should always know what i mean):

1) Check the IPs of your other machines *including* the router and write it down for later reference
2) Check that the router doesn't provide a DHCP server so we can proceed with static configuration safely

3) Delete everthing on the SAM in DEVS:NetInterfaces/ and in SYS:Internet/Connections/
4) Reboot, just to be sure

5) Make sure your Ethernet cable is plugged into the top most or left most (depending on your SAM oriented vertically or horizontally) connector. That's unit 0 later on..
6) Start the Wizard with SYS:Internet/New Connection

7) Choose the last/third option "Router" and press "Next"
8) Choose "manual configuration" and press "Next"
9) Use the file selector right besides the "Name" label to choose "pppc440ep_eth.device", leave "Port" at 0 and press "Next"
10) Uncheck "Try dynamic configuration", enter the IP address of the SAM (e.g. 192.168.0.3 from aboves example), enter the IP address of your DSL router in "Gateway" and "DNS" fields (e.g. 192.168.0.1 from above. And yes, your DSL router is usually Gateway as well as DNS for your LAN.. if unsure, check the settings of your Mac/PC), leave the netmask at 255.255.255.0 and click "Next"
11) Now you should be at the last page of the wizard... just leave the suggested Filename (PPC440EP_ETH here) and the rest alone and click on "Finish" or whatever its named.

After some seconds a CON window should open telling you that the interface "PPC440EP_ETH" was setup with the configured IP and netmask (in our example 192.168.0.3 and 255.255.255.0). Also the wizard should open up a requester telling you that the interface was set up and that this connetion type doesn't need a PPP dial in, so it doesn't need Dialer to get online.. bla bla bla..

Congratulations! At this point you are already online and should be able to ping your other machines on the LAN as well as access the Internet. You can close the Wizard and the CON window..

To test, just open a Shell and issue a Ping command.

In the very unlikely case that something did fail, please post here the exact error (maybe a screenshot if needed).

AmigaOS 4 core developer

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Snuffy

Quote:

Snuffy wrote:
@tlm

via a DSL...
I've been trying to connect with ATT DSL myself and can't. I think I'm upposed to use the 'ppp-ethernet.device' but I don't think it's compatible to newer DSL modems. The NetInterface doesn't get setup correctly. Like you, help is needed. Glad you started this thread!

Edit:

I'm not using PPPoE anymore (since a couple of years), but the setup should be fairly straight forward with the wizard.. you just have to choose "Ethernet (DSL,..)" (the second option) on the first page of the wizard..

Those labels are a bit misleading unfortunately..

Anyway, after that, you just have to chose ppc440ep_eth.device (if you are on SAM) with the correct unit number (0 for the top most port, 1 for the lower port) and enter all the details you should have got by your DSL provider .. (you can also give the the connection some arbitrary name)

In the end you should have the arbitrary named connection and a PPPoE interface of so .. don't remember exactly ... in any case you should then be able to connect via the Dialer...

If all that doesn't work, you have to provide much more info ... logs where exactly it fails etc...

AmigaOS 4 core developer

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Cyborg

Quote:

Cyborg wrote:
@Slayer

Quote:

Slayer wrote:
@tlm

okay from devs:

configure=dhcp
address=10.1.1.5
netmask=255.0.0.0
mtu=1478

Wow, what a mess :p

- Why do you have *both* DHCP and an IP? Either use static OR dynamic configuration.

- You wrote that all your IPs in your LAN are 10.1.1.x ones, right? So why the heck do you then specify a netmask of 255.0.0.0 ? It shouldn't hurt, but correct would be 255.255.255.0 as netmask.

- Why such a strange MTU value? For Ethernet the MTU is 1500 (for gigabit ethernet its actually up to 9000, but that isn't supported yet). Thats also true if you access the Internet through a router. Only if you are directly connected to the Internet with your Amiga (e.g. through PPPoE), you might have to worry about the MTU value and set it to something below 1492 for DSL.. but even that would Roadshow do for you with the Wizard..

Um, some notes on this:

- It's OK to set DHCP and a static IP address in the configuration. The effect this has is to alter the DHCP exchange on the client's side. Instead of asking the DHCP server to assign an IP address and provide for information on the default gateway and the DNS servers, the client tells the server "this is my IP address, take it or leave it" and picks up whatever the server could provide. Mind you, this is not recommended unless you are certain that you need things to work like that.

- While you are free to choose the IP address range used in your local network up to a point, you should observe certain rules. The 10.*.*.* IP address range corresponds to a network address of 10 and a host address of the remaining 24 bits, which accounts for the netmask of 255.0.0.0. You should not change the netmask to 255.255.255.0 unless you are using the reserved IP address range of 192.168.*.*. Of course, mucking with the netmask works most of the time, but some software will get into hot water if the reserved IP address ranges and their corresponding default network mask values don't match.

- It's sometimes useful to reduce the default MTU value if you know that traffic to leave your network will always have to squeeze through a gateway which limits the size of the packets. An example is the PPPoE protocol which is widely used for ADSL services in Europe. PPPoE limits packet size to 1492 bytes payload. If you limit the MTU value in your network clients, it may mean that there will be less friction since converting between the packets that go into the router and have to come out, chopped into smaller units. Chopping up the packets in transit may result in extra traffic since some packets cannot be conveniently broken into smaller units and will have to retransmitted. This "optimization" through MTU limits may, however, accomplish nothing tangible.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Cyborg
Quote:

Here is somebody with problems using PPPoE via DSL on his SAM.
http://www.amiga-news.de/forum/thread.php?id=30621&BoardID=1

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 3 »