Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
103 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 102

geennaam, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Installation problems & bug on OS 4.1
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hello, I finaly assebled my new SAM in a cube case, I bought a new sata HD, new sata optical drive and psu and been able to boot fine!

Now, I have two strabge problems that prohibited me from completing the istallation of OS 4.1 .

When I power up the machine, UBoot revognises two usb devices (it's my mouse and keyboard). My keyboard is connected to the upper usb port at the back of the board and my mouse exactly underneath. I am acting here accordingly the way the manual of ACube says. During UBoot startup my keyboard works fine. The leds are flashing and I can press enter entering the UBoot meny if I want to.

But when OS 4.1 starts up booting, loading the kickstart, my keyboard stops working! Whithout any reason at all. I have a Microsoft Digital Media pro keyboard which was quite expensive when I bought it, 1.5 year a go. The keyboard works fine with other machines (connected to laptops and Win/PCs/ plus i am typing right now from it :P ). The keyboard suits my needs and I am not planning to buy a new one (plus I have no room for a second keyboard and I am thinking of buying a kvm but that's another story).

My second problem occurs when I am trying to run Media Toolbox. My sata HD is new and I am following the steps the Amiga OS 4.1 Quickstart guide describes. First I load the slb. Next I choose "edit partitions and file systems". I enter the new screen and I press right click, chossing the option "load OS4 template". But immidiately I get an error saying "The file you selected is not an OS4 template". The thing is, that I have not selected anything because I have no time to do so. the error appears exactly when I choose the option "load OS4 template". Also I cannot do it manually (partioning, swap etc) because my keyboard doesn't work!

And now the bug. During the installation of OS4.1, without choosing anything at the workbench screen I set the Dock to have transparency, then I am dragging the left side of the dock to far left. Then the sytems freezes and I have to done a hardware reboot!

Go to top
Re: Installation problems & bug on OS 4.1
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Cool_amigaN

Can't help with the 1st problem but with the 2nd I too had this problem, try selecting normal not expert when you go into mediabox. Otherwise do what I did and run mediabox seperately from the cdrom based workbench.

Another thing, when I ejected the cdrom to boot off the newly completed harddrive it wouldn't do it. I ended up having to interrupt the booting sequence and using the relevant menus to select the harddrive as the primary booting device, in my case this needed to be entered in two different locations in the menus, try that if one option doesn't work.

Other than those few tweaks (which I am glad I already had A1 experience) everything runs fine as can be... also make sure your devices are running in UDMA mode and not PIO.

good luck

SAM is a great machine!

~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hello again! Apparently no one has been able to give a sort of help with the keyboard problem I am facing. I tried connecting keyboard after kickstart has loaded. Then a window titled "Usb attachment" appears saying "Locating the device" and it has three lines : Vendor, Product and Class, none of them is fullfilled with any information. The system doesn't hang. Only my keyboard doesn't work! It keeps saying "locating the device..."

When I disconnect the device it says "Class: Multiclass" and "Done" instead of "Locating the device" but my keyboard isn't connected anymore!

Also, I have the latest version available of UBoot for SAM (1.3.1 Dec 1 2008 - 14:01:05), if that helps.

Anyway, I am asking, is there any way to contact Hyperion and request assistance from them? First thing, I do not want to change my keyboard because a) It was expansive and b) It is connected to my laptop. I was rather thinking of buying a kvm to connect it between my laptop and SAM but if I am forced of buying a new one then I want to know if Microsoft's Sidewinder X6 works with SAM because I do not want to have anymore compatibility issues.

Thanks in advance!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Cool_amigaN
Just borrow a keyboard from a friend and try.
for the Media Toolbox problem, click the mouse in the grey area under partition editing
and then press the add partition button in the upper left.

A3040/25 AmigaOS 3.2.2 | A1260BPPC AmigaOS 3.2.2/4.0
Sam440ep AmigaOS 4.1.FE | PegasosII/G3 AmigaOS 4.1.FE/MorphOS 3.17
MacMini1.5 MorphOS 3.17

Long Live Amiga
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Cool_amigaN
It seems you expect USB devices to 'just work' which is wrong. The USB standard is very software intensive by design to keep the cost low. As a result, you'll find many USB devices are incompatible with many different machines. You'll also find strange behaviour when whatever system you are using is heavily loaded. Again, due to the software nature of USB.

As for your specific USB keyboard issue it seems the most logical thing to do is to buy/borrow another USB keyboard. You see, unless a USB developer has your specific USB device to help with debugging you may be waiting a very long time.

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@amije

Quote:

amije wrote:
@Cool_amigaN
Just borrow a keyboard from a friend and try.

I don't have any friend with the new sidewinder X6 to give it a shot :P Because, if I am gonna change my keyboard I will buy something also good. As I told allready, my keyboard is connected also on my main machine, a win laptop. And since I am using it all the time I want something really good (and expensive)!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ssolie

Quote:

ssolie wrote:
@Cool_amigaN
It seems you expect USB devices to 'just work' which is wrong. The USB standard is very software intensive by design to keep the cost low. As a result, you'll find many USB devices are incompatible with many different machines. You'll also find strange behaviour when whatever system you are using is heavily loaded. Again, due to the software nature of USB.

As for your specific USB keyboard issue it seems the most logical thing to do is to buy/borrow another USB keyboard. You see, unless a USB developer has your specific USB device to help with debugging you may be waiting a very long time.

I thought that it was possible some of the feautures my keyboard has (e.g zooming in/out) to be disabled due the absense of drivers but I wasn't prepared to see that it was not working at all! If that's the case with usb devices on AOS 4.1 then how am I supposed to know if a usb device will work or not? I am thinking of Microsoft Sidewinder X6 or the new Illuminated keyboard by Logitech (both quite expensive). What am I supposed to tell to the store where I will buy them: Wait a sec, I will give them a try in OS 4.1 and if they do not work I will return them? :P

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Cool_amigaN

Quote:

Cool_amigaN wrote:
@ssolie
I thought that it was possible some of the feautures my keyboard has (e.g zooming in/out) to be disabled due the absense of drivers but I wasn't prepared to see that it was not working at all! If that's the case with usb devices on AOS 4.1 then how am I supposed to know if a usb device will work or not? I am thinking of Microsoft Sidewinder X6 or the new Illuminated keyboard by Logitech (both quite expensive). What am I supposed to tell to the store where I will buy them: Wait a sec, I will give them a try in OS 4.1 and if they do not work I will return them? :P

I was using the same keyboard and mouse I had used on the A1 (both white in colour). But then I brought a nice black AOC 22" LCD to go with the nice new black Tower which held SAM. I decided I needed a new black keyboard and mouse. The mouse was fine but the new black keyboard (that I hadn't realised at the time) had only one window key so I couldn't soft reboot my machine or paste with window+v. I am aware there are remapping functions but the white keyboard just worked, I am now in the process of acquiring the same keyboard but in black.

Moral of the story;

1) doesn't matter if ya black or white
2) It's not just the type of keyboard it's the layout

~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Cool_amigaN

Quote:

No. You tell them it didn't work and would like a refund. In the USA they are more or less forced to refund if you use a credit card. Surely you realize by now that most computer accessories are designed to work on a Windows PC and not to the specifications for a particular protocol (USB, Internet etc.).

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@xenic

Quote:

xenic wrote:
@Cool_amigaN

Quote:

No. You tell them it didn't work and would like a refund. In the USA they are more or less forced to refund if you use a credit card. Surely you realize by now that most computer accessories are designed to work on a Windows PC and not to the specifications for a particular protocol (USB, Internet etc.).

Maybe in the US but here in Greece, when I will return the keyboard they will plug it it on a windows/ linux/mac pc and most surely they will see that the keyboard is fine. Plus every box says "Win/linux/Mac Compatible", so if I bought a keyboard with that description on it to work on a OS that is not designed to work with, then I did it on my own risk. That's what they will me and that's what I would tell if I owned the store to the custoumer.

Go to top

Register To Post