Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
45 user(s) are online (34 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 44

Hypex, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Auto Install scripts
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I know this will probably be a dumb question, but how do I utilise autoinstall scripts.

I have just downloaded diskimage_device.lha from OS4Depot to ram:
When I unarc it, again to ram there is a diskimage_device directory, and an autoinstall script.

When I open the script it is obviously running the installer tool with cding to the diskimage_device directory.

If I use menu/excecute command I get a "file is not executable" error.

Peter Swallow

Eyetech A1XE-G3 800Mhz OS4.1
Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Re: Auto Install scripts
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Swoop

They are for AmiUpdate use only. Either install AmiUpdate and use that to update, or ignore the files and use whatever installation method is available (usually a big icon marked "Install", or a manual drag'n'drop operation)

Chris

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Chris

See, I said it was probably a dumb question!!

Anyway thanks for the reply.

Peter Swallow

Eyetech A1XE-G3 800Mhz OS4.1
Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Swoop
Specifically for diskimage_device, it looks as if the autoinstall script is merely a wrapper around a traditional Installer script.

You should be able to use the script even without AmiUpdate (should you so desire), provided you have the Installer (the one delivered with the OS) somewhere in your path and with the E bit set; the standard location is in SYS:Utilities.

The AutoInstall script itself should of course be readable (R bit set), then you can Execute it. If you have also the E and S bits set, you should be able to just invoke it by name only.

(This is from looking at the 52.39 archive, which I happened to have here; I haven't checked whether that is the current one on OS4Depot).

Many other AmiUpdatable applications use the CopyStore command in their scripts, which comes with AmiUpdate, so they will need AmiUpdate installed.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@nbache

Unfortunately, the CopyStore command is not enough to run "proper" autoinstall scripts. AmiUpdate sets up an environment which is specially dedicated prior to executing the CopyStore command, and I doubt it will run correctly without it (although I haven't tested it).

As a general rule, don't try to execute these scripts in any context. They are intended for one use, and one use only.

Simon

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hi @Swoop

See, I said it was probably a dumb question!!
No it wasn't, that's what I thought at first, so I tried converting them to smarter anwers! I've went and rewrote them in Python to see how they work. The installs work nice they utilize Sys:Pref/Envarc/"AppPaths". I have written these installer scripts: AISS.py , Ranger.py, and AmiSoundED.py

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Snuffy

Quick question:

Why? :)

Simon

Go to top

Register To Post