Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
170 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 170

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
OS4 Kickstart
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I am new just got my A1 back from repair and i am trying to boot os4 but i get to the kickstart loading bar that completes then nothing, it just sits there, what do i need to do now?
Plus how do i make the graphical boot loader and autostart work?

Go to top
Re: OS4 Kickstart
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@caver99

UBoot 1.1.1 flashed?

Tomcat

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@caver99

Please be more specific. Are you booting the CD or an old hard drive installation?

If you are booting the CD, remember that it takes ages to boot, the screen will go black and seem to have gone to sleep. Give it at least five minutes before giving up.

If you are booting an old hard drive installation, go back a step and boot the CD, make sure that works OK first.

The problem may be just a screen mode that won't work on your monitor, but we need to know more before being able to help.

There is no graphical bootloader released for the A1 AFAIK, it was only a development idea that was never released.

Dunno what you mean about "Autostart", that suggests "booting" to me. Once you get the U-Boot settings correct, it will all work again.

cheers
tony
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@caver99

Ok, first off SORRY but i only got my A1 G3 SE back yesterday and have NEVER used it befor i have had it for 2 1/2 years but it has been broke.
After loooking at the uboot it is version 1.1.1 installed.
at the mo i am just awaiting an ATI 9250 card to arive so i am useing a sis card, i am trying to boot off the original os4 cd the was sent out which is the dev one, once again just awaiting os4.1 to arrive, i will give it another go when i get in from work later and just leave it for a while and let you know what happens.

As to the grapical part, when i first turned on the A1 after its repair it loaded up and tried to boot off the cd never went to a prompt and it i hit enter with in 3 seconds it would go straight to the uboot menu not the prompt, is there any wat to get that back?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@caver99

Quote:

caver99 wrote:
I am new just got my A1 back from repair and i am trying to boot os4 but i get to the kickstart loading bar that completes then nothing, it just sits there, what do i need to do now?
Plus how do i make the graphical boot loader and autostart work?

This sounds similar to a problem I had recently.

Does your A1 just sit there saying "Launching Kickstart" and not even get as far as blanking the screen ?

If so you problem is the CPU over heating.

See http://www.amigans.net/modules/newbb/ ... t_id=24576#forumpost24576

Bill.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@caver99

...got my A1 back from repair and i am trying to boot os4 but i get to the kickstart loading ...nothing...

Well, if it's been offline for repairs, you definitely lost the 'nv' variables in UBoot according to your A1 G3 SE ...
I have no info for your system. I suggest you ask someone has a SE system.

trying to boot off the original os4 cd the was sent out which is the dev one ...

Wow, that PreCD is five years old. What was on the hard drives 2 1/2 years ago?
Did you try a 'coldCD' start from UBoot prompt:
] reset ide
] Boot1=cdrom ; bootA

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@caver99

Quote:

caver99 wrote:
@caver99
at the mo i am just awaiting an ATI 9250 card to arive so i am useing a sis card

Are SiS cards supported by OS4? I believe that only Radeon and Voodoo ones are supported, can anybody confirm this?

Varthall

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Varthall

What is a Sis card? You're right, the drivers for gfx cards are for only Radeon and Voodoo. But, he says he uses Uboot and sees kickstart...

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@caver99

Quote:
i am useing a sis card

Do you mean you have a Silicon Integrated Systems http://www.sis.com/ graphics card ? I don't think it works with AmigaOS 4. Install a Radeon card when you'll get it.

You have to remember one thing because you have an A1-SE. Your AmigaOS 4.1 CD won't boot most likely. You have to try to install it on top of your existing 4.0 installation manually copying all files from the 4.1 CD. Or you can use AmiDVD and try to make a copy of your 4.1 CD and modify kicklayout to remove all USB related stuff before writing that CD.

Do you have any Silicon Image card (like 0680, 3112, 3114) for your hard drives and CD/DVD drives ? It's too risky to use onboard VIA IDE on SE boards.

Quote:
it would go straight to the uboot menu not the promp

You can go to the prompt from menu too. Erm.. was that option something like "leave uboot to prompt without booting" after pressing ESC. It's pressing ENTER goes to menu and pressing any other key goes to prompt. (I don't remember which way it is.)

@Snuffy
Quote:
But, he says he uses Uboot and sees kickstart

I think UBoot uses some generic VGA screen mode which any graphics card can display without any specific drivers (using one generic driver for all graphics cards).

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@BillE
Yeh it just sits there saying Loading done, now launching kickstart.

I have just recived my Ati 9250 so thats in it aswell.

I will have toi have a look at the thermal tape tomorow possibly, and i will get some new past and i have some new cpu heat sinks and fans i might try that are raated for faster cpus.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@caver99

Not sure if this is any help,but here we go.

When the screen goes black,might it be that it's looking for internet connection? If i remove the plug and start the machine it will only stay black for VERY LONG time before showing the desktop. THis has resulted in several rebbots thinking of some freez of somekind. Then realizing i haven't got the ethernet plug connected.

X5000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@caver99

Ok, not sure whats going on with me A1 then, i have also downloaded the debian boot cd, if i set the setenv variables i can get it to start to boot beu then i get kernal panic is this anything that might say something tio someone?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@caver99

Quote:
Ok, not sure whats going on with me A1 then, i have also downloaded the debian boot cd, if i set the setenv variables i can get it to start to boot beu then i get kernal panic is this anything that might say something tio someone?

Are you using the onboard IDE ports? If so, try enabling UDMA. My SE doesn't boot AOS4.0 in PIO mode since UDMA became available and never worked with Debian in PIO either.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@caver99

How do i enable UDMA mode?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@caver99

I think your problem might be related to USB, OS4.0 final and July update will crash when usb drivers are loaded, update 3 or update 4 CD can be booted.

Once you have booted, edit the Kicklatout file, remove all lines related to USB drivers, then you remove the CD, and reboot, now your should be able to load AmigaOS.

AmigaOS4 Update 3 and update 4 install CD can be downloaded from Hyperion, if you have registered your copy of OS4.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@LiveForIt

Quote:
OS4.0 final

At least I can boot my OS4.0 Final CD on my SE.

@caver99
Quote:
How do i enable UDMA mode?

It depends if you're using onboard IDE or PCI IDE controller card. In UBoot prompt type: "setenv a1ide_xfer ????" + enter + "saveenv" + enter or "setenv sii0680ide_xfer ????" + enter + "saveenv" + enter (if you have sii0680 card), where ???? is 4 numbers or letters. The first digit/letter is primary master, the 2nd is primary slave, the 3rd is secondary master and the 4th is secondary slave drive. Letters A-G, where A=the slowest UDMA mode and G=UDMA133. For example: "setenv a1ide_xfer AAAA" + enter + "saveenv" + enter". AAAA will set all drives to use the slowest UDMA.

X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@caver99

ok, i am useing the internal ide ports and if i boot from one of the updates i can install os4.0 but how the hell do i get my hdd to once its been installed, i just get the screen that shous whats on the ide 0 and ide 1 then drops to the prompt?
is there a setenv or something i have to set?
when i boot from the update cd, os4 looks beautiful i can wiat till i can just switch on and its there

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@caver99

Have you installed the Second Level Booter (SLB) to your hard drive with Media Toolbox ?

X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@caver99

Yes, i have done that not sure is there is anything i have to do in the U-Boot tho

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@caver99

Ok, tried it this moring and looking through the help system found that if i type boota i can get os4 up and running, so how do i get this command to run from power on?

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »