Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
116 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 114

derfs, remotenemesis, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

SATA NCQ need a hardware gurus advice
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I am not expecting a dealer to be up on SATA NCQ so I am asking in a more open forum.

While reading up on SATA I ran accross this bit of info:
Quote:
"Soon after SATA/150's introduction a number of shortcomings were observed. At the application level SATA could only handle one pending transaction at a time like PATA. The SCSI interface has long been able to accept multiple outstanding requests and service them in the order which minimizes response time. This feature, Native Command Queuing (NCQ), was adopted as an optional supported feature for SATA 1.5 Gbit/s and SATA 3.0 Gbit/s devices." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA#SATA_3.0_Gbit.2Fs

I am now thinking of getting a SATA card for my A1.
/me remembers the days of SCSI...

I can buy SATA drives that support NCQ or save money and buy SATA drives that do not. (At least that is how it looks)

The reading I have done leads me to believe that a sata driver does not have to support Advanced Host Controller Interface which allows advanced features of SATA such as hot plug and Native Command Queuing.

What I need help with is knowing how much support there is for SATA on the A1.

Thanks,
Robert

Go to top
Re: SATA NCQ need a hardware gurus advice
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@goody

Well, try to find a drive with SATA1/SATA 1.5GB/s.

I just checked at my favourite supplier and only found SATA-II/SATA 3.0GB/s drives.

Go to top

Register To Post