Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
116 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

need help with network connection
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hello all. I have a problem with a network config. My Father has an old A4000 that he wants online, but has no ethernet card for his broadband router. His other computer has SUSE Linux (x86) installed on it. I've managed to rig my a1200 to a windows box with a null-modem cable and installed a router on the pee-cee, but I don't know how to configure a linux box to do lthe same thing. Was wondering if anybody here would know how to do this? I think he has Miami installed on the 4000, but I'm not sure what he has on the linux box.

Resized Image
Go to top
Re: need help with network connection
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Seriously, isn't it faster and easier to just buy a cheap PCMCIA network card and connect it directly to the router? For the A1200 I mean..
The same goes for the A4000, a second hand network card should be quite cheap.

I know it is not helping your question, which I'm sorry for. I have never tried your approach.

Personally I would buy an external router, which usually has 4 inputs, and connect each computer directly to the router. It's way way easier than your approach. The price of such a router should be less than 100$.
This worked straight away when I tried MiamiDX on my A4000. Just set it up to use DHCP and your online
Routers do help alot with making configuration easier when going online.

Best Regards,

Harry

[SOLD] ?A1-C, 512MB, Antec Aria
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Actually, I did end up buying an ethernate card from some guy on Ebay, (Who not only sent the card, but also a cd full of games, drivers, etc... gave him some really good feedback) and my 1200 connects much better now. Hooked up to a motorola wireless router, and the laptops hooked up with a wireless pcmcia card, with my fiance's 'puter connected via usb wireless card. unfortunatly, I still have dial-up internet. And the XP laptop is the one hooked into the phone, which is also the one that likes to spontaneously turn off... ugh...

Resized Image
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Ahh dial-up.. That sucks!

I had dial-up about five years ago. I remember how slow it was and all the troubles with drop-outs one had.
Broadband is a gods send.

Best Regards,

Harry

[SOLD] ?A1-C, 512MB, Antec Aria
Go to top

Register To Post